Author Topic: Target Ostwind  (Read 845 times)

Offline AIRJOCKEY

• Zinc Member
Target Ostwind
« on: April 01, 2002, 07:04:55 AM »
OK...anyone here have some helpful (or at least amusing) stories to tell about how they bested an Ostwind? I am trying to find the best way (actually ANY way) to get a kill on an Ostwind in a fighter of any type. Any and all help is appreciated.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Target Ostwind
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2002, 08:02:48 AM »
"We were attacking this field, I was in a strange mood so I rolled a TBM. 10 100lb bombs and rocks.

As I arrive over the base the VH comes up, a single osty spawns, VH dies. Everyone else is busy chasing fighters, & killing the VH etc.

So 10 times I fly over him level, line up a good shot & drop my little 100 lb egg on his head. Boom, boom, boom boom boom, etc.

Finally out of bombs, I make 3 passes with the rockets. Salvo 2 each time. With the last pass he disappears & I get the kill. Still not positive I actually hurt him. Might have just caused a headache and got him to log off.

Grin

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Target Ostwind
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2002, 08:03:17 AM »
Drop a bomb on it.  Climb to about 5K and work on your divebombing.   Stops em cold :)

-Ding

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Target Ostwind
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2002, 10:56:50 AM »
Originally posted by Dingy
Drop a bomb on it.  Climb to about 5K and work on your divebombing.   Stops em cold :)
Yeah, that is about the only way I ever get taken out of mine - but usually not until I have accumulated a few kills first!  :D  One of my best runs was a couple of nights ago in the "Uterus" terrain, at A1 I think it was.  Took off in an Ostwind and toured around the outskirts of the field looking for reported vehicles which had been sighted, and eventually found the spawn point.  Finally died after about 8 or 9 kills, and about an hour-and-a-half or so of enormous fun!  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Target Ostwind
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2002, 11:05:45 AM »
if you out of ord, and have guns only, the "Bait and switch" tactics work well, have your wingman bait him by diving in, then pulling out before your wingy gets within a lethal range, meanwhile, your behind the target, just about 3 seconds behind your wingman from an opposite direction, strafing the target.  Coordination is the key.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Target Ostwind
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2002, 11:18:15 AM »
Camping the spawn with an M8.. my M8 AP shells bounced off the damn thing every time, even on a point blank rear shot.

So I switched to the 50 cal gun... and killed his turret and tracks for about 10 spawns, Ran out of 50 cal... proceeded to use the 30 cal ... had to hit the ostie *right* on the openeing of the turret gun to knock it out..did that for about 8 more of his spawns...

Ran out of 30 cal, switched back to the AP main gun... and ran out of AP ammo hitting ONE ostie on the turret at point blank. With more than half my shells bouncing off LOL.

Offline kraquen

• Zinc Member
Target Ostwind
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2002, 12:40:13 PM »
i was in an ostie parked in the middle of a friendly small sized base for about 5-10mins..  
the base gets capped and all the aa guns started shooting me..
i lost both tracks and my engine almsot immediately, but i never did die..
i killed all the aa guns that i could see, taking hundreds of hits myself

Offline phentop

• Zinc Member
Target Ostwind
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2002, 03:40:30 PM »
Dissable is what I try for. A couple hits and he's crawling around in circles. That gets tiresome after a few sec's then they bail and
you get the kill...

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Yep M8 can't kill FP
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2002, 03:45:32 PM »
Originally posted by Tac
Camping the spawn with an M8.. my M8 AP shells bounced off the damn thing every time, even on a point blank rear shot.

So I switched to the 50 cal gun... and killed his turret and tracks for about 10 spawns, Ran out of 50 cal... proceeded to use the 30 cal ... had to hit the ostie *right* on the openeing of the turret gun to knock it out..did that for about 8 more of his spawns...

Ran out of 30 cal, switched back to the AP main gun... and ran out of AP ammo hitting ONE ostie on the turret at point blank. With more than half my shells bouncing off LOL.

Happened to me just last night in the ndisle terrain (except I was the Osty :D)  

I was sneaking to a base and I hear the shell hit... my turret is gone.  I spot the M8 just a short distance away so I thought, "What the heck I'll close the distance and see if I can ram him."

I drove right through him and he was pinging me the entire time.  I think he lost me for a while when our vehicles were pretty much inhabiting the same physical space.  I then decided to try the hull gun, so I backed off of him and started pinging away at what I would guess was three yards into his rear grill.

I watched as the turret came around and I heard the shots ringing off my hull.  I lost count at about 10 hits... I would imagine Bolt45 was going nuts at my incessant pinging away with the bb gun   :rolleyes:

I didn't like seeing it, but it was funny at the time ;)
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Target Ostwind
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2002, 04:12:18 PM »
This is the first camp that Ive tried Ground Attack.  I used the BF110g2 -  Guns only, no bombs.

I had 15 Osty Kills And 9 Panzer Kills and I learned a hell of a lot.

With panzers all you can hope for is to knock everything out.  A side approach has worked really well for me, it takes out the engine, knocks tracks off and can damage the gun.  As someone stated earlier, at this point they usually re-spawn and you get the kill having completely disabled them.

Osties are like artificially inseminating an angry grizzly bear... you have to be very careful.

Rip is right on.  I wont go in until I see the osty shooting at someone else, preferably a wingman, but If I dont have one Ill tool around until someone shows up.  Diving in on one is suicide if he has you lined up.

I attack from the side and start shooting at 500 yds and hold the trigger down till he fills my windscreen.  I dont think Ive ever exploded one, but the 30mm's take a huge toll and he will be sitting in a useless hulk in a single pass.  When he respawns you get the kill.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Target Ostwind
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2002, 04:38:24 PM »
Rip and Fester pretty much got it.   What works for me is same attack stragegy, wait till the ostie is preoccupied with another plane or gv, come in at high AoA, about 5k, I use 110g2 with rockets,.let loose at about 1k - 800 and pull out.   Near as I can tell you dont have to hit it with the rockets just come close.  Everytime I do that I bustup an ostie.   Come in low your dead before you get a shot off.  

Its best when you can work as a team with planes and gv.  I spot them with the plane and while the osty is trying to shoot  at me the squad mates in gv takem out.    Then we alternate and while the osty is worried about the gv I take it out.

Offline Fester'

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Target Ostwind
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2002, 07:38:43 PM »
You can use those ATA rockets to blow up Osties?

Another idea, Im wondering since the Osties are open top if it is easier to kill them from a straight down angle instead of a lower attack hitting the side armor.

Something to think about.

Let me know on the rockets, Ive never seen secondaries when shooting at the ground.

Offline majic

• Silver Member
Target Ostwind
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2002, 10:47:18 PM »
Hopefully the osty driver is not smart and has his tracers turned on.  I know I'm usually too lazy to switch em off.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Target Ostwind
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2002, 10:47:25 PM »
best method...

get a teammate to help, he can only track one of u while the other at least dsables him first pass.

SKurj

Offline Mino

• Copper Member
Target Ostwind
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2002, 10:55:20 PM »
The best method is for me is to use rockets.  I fire two rockets at a time, and usually 4 rockets per pass is enough to kill the Ost.  If I really want to ensure I kill the Ost in one pass I will let go with every rocket I have.

Like every other person has said, if the Ost is firing at you do not attack it.  Pull out of your attack and save your skin.

Don't challenge the gun, the gun will win

This true in real life as it is in AH.