Author Topic: WW2 Aircraft Kite wanted  (Read 258 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
WW2 Aircraft Kite wanted
« on: March 31, 2002, 08:28:57 AM »
Dunno if you guys can help, but...

Every Good Friday it is a tradition here to go and fly kites.  The whole island gets into it and this year the skies were full.  

Last year I vowed I would get a great WW2 Aircraft style kite and use an idea I had from that experience....I was determined to have the highest flying kite last year and I had it a few hundered feet up.  Then the kids got tired and bored and we decided to head for home.  I had to get the damn kite down!  It took me an hour an a half!:(

So I was going to hunt down an old deep sea fishing rod and use that to launch and wind in the kite.

Typically I ended up being really busy at work and actually was reminded on Wednesday that Friday was kite flying day!  DOH!

I had told my brother-in-law of my fishing rod concept and he tried it out.  It worked even better than we expected.  The action of launching the kite he had on it was just like hauling in a big fish, but instead of winding as you pull back you lock the reel..then let it out as you lower the rod.  

So...NEXT year I'm goinna be ready.  

Anyone know of a good quality kite shaped preferably like an F4 Coursair?  I have seen some cheapy plastic ones, but I need something that is of good quality and will last a few years.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
WW2 Aircraft Kite wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2002, 09:07:04 AM »
I'll check next time i go to the beach(there are thousands of great kite shops there).

i've been using the deep see rod idea since i was a kid.  you only need the handle section of the rod, once you get the drag on the reel set just right for your kite it will almost auto-launch.  just set the drag strong enough to give it enough lift and anytime the wind goes over that it automaticly feeds it more line.

also if you have something to mount them on you can mount rod-holsters from a boat upsidedown and they will hold the kite for you when you have to round up the kids.

apathy

btw
my favorite kite is a folker dr. 1

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
WW2 Aircraft Kite wanted
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2002, 09:28:26 AM »
I fly kites from a 6/0 Penn Senator off the back of the boat too. Works really good! You don't have to do a thing but let it out and the kite goes right up. Easy to reel it in too. In fact, its a great way to get your line straightened out and re-leveled on your reel.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
WW2 Aircraft Kite wanted
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2002, 10:33:09 AM »
Just don't use monfiliment on your kite reel.

I have an F16 kite, but haven't seen any decent WWII ones.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2002, 10:36:46 AM by Gadfly »

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
WW2 Aircraft Kite wanted
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2002, 11:40:41 AM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
I'll check next time i go to the beach(there are thousands of great kite shops there).

i've been using the deep see rod idea since i was a kid.  you only need the handle section of the rod, once you get the drag on the reel set just right for your kite it will almost auto-launch.  just set the drag strong enough to give it enough lift and anytime the wind goes over that it automaticly feeds it more line.

also if you have something to mount them on you can mount rod-holsters from a boat upsidedown and they will hold the kite for you when you have to round up the kids.

apathy

btw
my favorite kite is a folker dr. 1

Thanks Capt.  Let me know.  I'm gonna have a look on the net, but if you come across anything in the meantime I would appreciate it.

Gadfly...if I can't find a good WW2 aircraft kite, that would be my second choice...very nice.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
WW2 Aircraft Kite wanted
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2002, 08:58:04 PM »
I used to do r/c hand-launched sailplanes and winch/hi-start launched larger sailplanes.

one afternoon, in a crankin wind, the line release on the 'Legend' sailplane failed.. too much pressure on the release. i inadvertently wound up with a three-meter 'kite' hung up at 300' on the end of the winch line.. with full r/c controls.

At first, i was wrestling with it.. almost tore the wings off it till i got it trimmed down enough.. then I had a blast for an hour doin some really wild and crazy stuff with that big monster.. imagine an 80 ounce kite 'tacking' back and forth, to the point of draggin a 40 pound winch around in the 20 knot breeze. Awsome.

Next week a freind and i showed up with a pair of Sig 'Ninja' slope-soarers with a tow releases mounted in 'em. Ran 'em up on a simple hi-start, but stayed 'on' the tow lines. Was some really sick toejam.... R/C Kite-Combat. Some of the most fun I've ever had with r/c sailplanes.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
WW2 Aircraft Kite wanted
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2002, 06:57:39 AM »
Wow...that is some advanced kite warcraft....

As kids we used to cut slots on the wood on our kites and then steal razor blades from our fathers.  We would attached the blades to our kites and then merrily cut loose all the kites in our vicinity.