Author Topic: What would you do to make the ground vehicles more useful?  (Read 396 times)

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
What would you do to make the ground vehicles more useful?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2002, 03:24:10 PM »
Slapshot:

I agree that adding these mobile armies as I have suggested would not be a trivial exercise, and would have to consider the framerate issue.  My point is there are similarities in how the CV's operate and how the notional field armies (FA's) would operate.  Thus, you would not be starting from scratch in implementing them.  New subroutines would be required, but many would only require modification.  This was my other point, that when making suggestions it's germane to consider how difficult the implementation will be, how much work might be involved.

I personaly believe we'll see something like the mobile FA in the future.  It would almost certainly be less work than adding submarines, which are already on HTC's development schedule.  Personally, I'd rather have this idea implemented before subs, simply because ground forces integrate into the game more directly than submarines (though I still want subs, too:)). The spawn point system we have now for GV's is a clever stop-gap measure to provide medium-range mobility for them, but it's still too predictable and inflexible.  Indeed, they must be built directly into the terrain, at the moment.  The low density of GV's on our virtual battlefield makes greater mobility and flexibility of employment of GV's highly desireable.  I think the FA could provide that with a reasonable level of effort.  Again, just my opinion, and based on admittedly limited visibility into the code.

Sabre
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2002, 08:29:42 PM »
The game Command and Conquer had a vehicle for setting up Mobile Command Centers.  Maybe this is a possibility for AH, but I am not sure how it could be implemented.  

Air drop or ground vehicle convey possibly?

Offline Dr Zhivago

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2002, 05:20:37 AM »
Supply convoys are allready using roads and railroads , it should be quite easy to replace them with armored convoys :rolleyes:

Air drop or transport is another question...