Author Topic: Calling all UK people...  (Read 405 times)

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Calling all UK people...
« on: May 29, 2000, 12:35:00 PM »
Hi all

I've seen a few guys from the UK on Aces High but I think a few others are keeping a low profile.  So, come on, don't be shy now   put your name and location below.... you never know there might be someone just down the road from you!  I think it would be good to meet up for the odd airshow or museum or whatever!  Beer sounds good (and tastes it... as long as it isn't nit beer   )  I've already found out someone just 25 miles away...  (Sparks  <S> )

Perhaps we can spread the word a bit more in the UK!

Anyway, I live in Oakham, Rutland, East Midlands...

Regards

'Nexx'

[This message has been edited by Replicant (edited 05-29-2000).]
NEXX

Offline Wilfrid

• Copper Member
      • http://www.crytek.de
Calling all UK people...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2000, 01:08:00 PM »
Hi, I`m a newbie on AH but learnin`.

I`m from Essex (oh deary me) - I can`t be the only one can I?

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
Calling all UK people...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2000, 01:08:00 PM »
I'm in Llangollen (Ah, Welsh town names eh? You wouldn't believe the various tourist pronounciations of that   ) near Wrexham, North Wales...

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Calling all UK people...
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2000, 01:53:00 PM »
Hey Duma boyo...   I'm half-Welsh anyhow...      My Mum is from Trefnant, near Denbigh!  Hey I bet the tourists end up spitting on everyone trying to pronounce some of the names, don't they ?  

Cyas up

'Nexx'

[This message has been edited by Replicant (edited 05-29-2000).]
NEXX

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Calling all UK people...
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2000, 01:55:00 PM »
WB veteran and now AH junkie from Cardiff, South Wales.

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
Calling all UK people...
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2000, 02:56:00 PM »
EAW veteran from Swansea (the home of bad connections). No adsl for 2 years, according to BT. Bast****

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Calling all UK people...
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2000, 03:45:00 PM »
EAW veteran from Cheltenham.  :-)

But I moved to Holland (the land where the grass really is greener) about 2 years ago.....and we get ADSL this summer....  

:-P

Flt Lt Swoop
No401 RAF
11 Group
EAW RAF Fighter Command

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
Calling all UK people...
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2000, 04:18:00 PM »
Just showed up to boast, didn't you Swoop?  

------------------

Duma
The Red Dragons
'Fierce And Bold
With Courage And Honour'
 http://www.reddragons.de

[This message has been edited by -duma- (edited 05-29-2000).]

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
Calling all UK people...
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2000, 06:52:00 PM »
Dordon... Where?

10 miles north of Birmingham  

TTFN
snafu

Real Brits fly knights.  

Offline JG5_Jerry

• Zinc Member
Calling all UK people...
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2000, 04:19:00 AM »
Well, I live just outside London in Kingston-Upon-Thames. I dunno how much longer I'll stick with AH, as I've had loads of problems with it so far. Anyone spare some time trying to train me? I'm not entirely convinced of AH's realism, as no-one has accurately explained to me how exactly it is realistic. I may need some convincing to leave it on my HDD  .

Any takers? I honestly would like to give it a go, but am suffering from morale problems.

------------------

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Calling all UK people...
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2000, 05:16:00 AM »

Originally posted by JG5_Jerry:
Well, I live just outside London in Kingston-Upon-Thames. I dunno how much longer I'll stick with AH, as I've had loads of problems with it so far. Anyone spare some time trying to train me? I'm not entirely convinced of AH's realism, as no-one has accurately explained to me how exactly it is realistic. I may need some convincing to leave it on my HDD   .

Any takers? I honestly would like to give it a go, but am suffering from morale problems.

Stick with it Jerry, I'm sure you'll come to love AH!  Pop in the Training Room at any time and see if there are any Instructors online.  Failing that then arrange to meet an instructor via the BBS.  I am sure they will help you out with whatever you require (what are the main things you're struggling with?).

Regards

'Nexx'

NEXX

Offline JG5_Jerry

• Zinc Member
Calling all UK people...
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2000, 05:35:00 AM »
I've spent about 10 hours on-line with AH just over the past weekend, but am not enjoying it any more as time goes by. I'm not a complete sim newbie BTW, so it's not a case of me not knowing what to do with my chosen aircraft  
I must admit to being confused by this 'realsim' tag, having had the seen the same thing said about Warbirds (which I find is easier to fly than EAW). Lol - I'm not sure who to believe! To be honest, it seems to me that the planes in AH bleed energy much too quickly, even when carrying out even basic manouevres. But sorry, that's OT   ...

[This message has been edited by JG5_Jerry (edited 05-30-2000).]

Offline Vladd

• Copper Member
Calling all UK people...
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2000, 11:27:00 AM »
Jerry: Trust me it will get better. If you see me online at all, give me a shout and I'll happily head to the Training Arena. Not that I'm particually good still less a 'Proper' trainer, but I have got past the initial 'culture shock' AH represented. Do get hold of Roger Wilco if you've not already done so though; nothing helps training like real-time voice comms.

As for realism, I'm not even a pilot so what do I know?   All I can say is that I know a few real pilots (light a/c to 737s) who fly AH, and they all seem quite impressed and happy with the FM. Not perfect, but about as good as you'll find for this kind of sim.

Oh and I live over the water from Liverpool BTW, in Wallasey on Wirral. I'd definately be up for some kind of meet, as the Texas Con is a bit far  

Vladd

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Calling all UK people...
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2000, 02:48:00 PM »
I'm in Aylesbury, but I've never flown in AH online.

Why not? Because my phone line's so cr*p, AH charge too much (remember that we in the UK have to pay for online time), there's no European server to lessen lag time, the AH staff won't do a Spit XIV or a Mossie...

Things are changing: Oftel have just opened up the competition and allowed flat rate telephone fees, and I may be moving, so we'll see.

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
Calling all UK people...
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2000, 02:59:00 PM »
I'm using BT Free, and they're bloody useless, but surprisingly bearable for Aces High (most of the time.. I've been disconnected 3 times today but it just seems to be a bad day).

Which is just as well, since the news, mail and web seem prone to going down for several hours every week...

The Mosquito will probably be done some time, but they're aiming for more exotic aircraft. I'd prefer a Hornet myself   And we're getting a Lancaster, and have got a Typhoon, so don't complain!

Oh, by the way, phone up BT and nag on at them about the phone line. It could be they're 'splitting' the line as they have a nasty habit of doing, the cheapskates.. you're entitled to a good connection, whinge on at them till you get it!

And I've never had a problem with lag to the US server myself, the only difference seems to be that you have to wait a second before recieving the kill packets from another european..

------------------

Duma
The Red Dragons
'Fierce And Bold
With Courage And Honour'
 http://www.reddragons.de

[This message has been edited by -duma- (edited 05-30-2000).]