Author Topic: About last night....  (Read 494 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
About last night....
« on: April 19, 2000, 11:21:00 PM »
Last night NE of field 21, I took a Panzer and charged the enemy vehicle spawn point.  There was about 3-5 friendly fighters attacking, and from 5-7 enemy ground vehicles involved in the fight.  

Once I closed to about 1.5 k, I began shooting vehicles near the spawn point, and to make a short story shorter, I ended up with 23 kills.  My question is, was me being near the spawn point, even though it was usually 5 or 6 on 1 the whole time, an abuse of the game?  I value my Squad's standing in Aces High, and if even one person has a problem with how that all went down, I'll apologize, and never do it again.  The run of kills was exhilirating, and although I don't think my engagement was as lame as say sitting near the spawn point of a runway and blasting planes, since the 4-5 panzers and 2 M16's were most difinetly fighting back.  I'm sure some guys have opinions differing from mine, and because of that I really enjoy being a part of the AH community.  

So, this begs the question:  Is sitting near an enemy spawn point in a tank, even if the enemy outnumbers you, and you are fighting at a disadvantage in numbers/position a llama/dweeb/studmuffin/ thing to do?

Let me know...

[This message has been edited by Gman (edited 04-19-2000).]

-rkat-

About last night....
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2000, 11:31:00 PM »
It's a tough one gman.........

I guess you could compare it with vultching a feild.

I for one subscribe to the view that if you are stupid enough (and I usually am!!) to take off from a CAP'd field - well, you are likley to die - so don't whinge about it! Take off from another field and come in with some alt.

I guess it would be the same here. If there is enemy activity at a spawn point - why spawn there?? Come in from another angle and take out the "vultcher" while they're busy popping shells at the people trying to launch from there.

Just my humble opinion!!

-rkat-

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
About last night....
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2000, 11:36:00 PM »
Thnx Rkat, I agree.

The thing that I feel is different in my situation, is that the tanks/tracks can engage me the second they appear on equal terms, while a vulched a/c on the runway is unable to attack until it is airborne with at least a couple hund'rd mph of airspeed.

Thnx for your reply.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
About last night....
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2000, 11:44:00 PM »
Bottom line.  If I repeatedly pop into a spawn point that is under accurate and concentrated enemy fire, well...hehe, I deserve whatever I get.

FWIW, in my frenzy to eliminate you and your excellent firing position, I fragged myself half a dozen times as my over-eager brothers popped in right on top of me.

LOL...you go Gman!

Yeager  
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
About last night....
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2000, 11:46:00 PM »
Well, in the case of vehicle spawn points at least, I don't personally see a problem here.  For one thing it takes a long time to drive to a base.  If you weren't intercepted or engaged by tanks before you got within 1.5k of the spawn point, then IMO the other side is just asking for it.  Not only that, but vehicle kills count on your bomber stats, therefore having no effect on your k/d or k/sortie.  (If you are a tank also that is.)

Until I hear a good reason why this is a "dweeby" move, then I don't see a reason why not to do this.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
About last night....
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2000, 12:13:00 AM »
I was a number of those kills, and I have no problem with it whatsoever.

------------------
Fatty
FAT DRUNK BASTARDS

funked

About last night....
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2000, 12:17:00 AM »
I think it was cool what you did!

If you were really dweebing it, they could have just grabbed a Typhoon from the nearest airfield and taken you out in a couple of minutes.

I think we should reward the guy who took the time to drive to the fight, not the insta-respawn-doofus.  

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
About last night....
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2000, 01:20:00 AM »
Gman,

Happened to me a couple nights ago, only I was the one getting vulched. died 5 times before  I got the shot off that killed him.

In that case there was actually 2 guys there
which made it difficult.

Fact remains no one has to die more than once in that situation.  Keep on trucking Gman!

------------------
Maj Ghosth
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels

[This message has been edited by Ghosth (edited 04-20-2000).]

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
About last night....
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2000, 07:43:00 AM »
GMan, don't let the whiners get the better of you.  Like Fatty, I was a number of those kills (a high number at that!) and I absolutely don't think any less of you or JG2 for it.  You can bet I'd do the same thing if I were in your shoes and you all kept spawning there

Gordo
Fat DRUNK Bastards

[This message has been edited by Lance (edited 04-20-2000).]

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
About last night....
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2000, 08:14:00 AM »
In the case of vehicles, if you somehow run the gauntlet of fighters, bombers, tanks, acks, whatever, and wind up at a spawn point I say more power to you. There is nothing you could have done to close the spawn point, so you were using a valid tactic to suppress it. I'd say you earned those 23 kills. If this happens once in a while you may even encourage more people to "fly" tanks.

BTW, any film?  

Panicked ground troops: "Hey, we have a panzer pinning us down. We need an air strike!"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
About last night....
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2000, 08:36:00 AM »
What Yeager  said.  Besides, HT was  doing  this the other day.    

This should answer your question:

BTW, WTG on the 23 kills, you serve JG2 proud!

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
I/JG2~Richthofen~
JG2 Communications Officer
Aces High Training Corps
JG2 "Richthofen"

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.  Remember, when
someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it
only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap the sucker
upside the head!

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-20-2000).]

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
About last night....
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2000, 09:32:00 AM »
Gman,  I don't have a problem with what you did.

The way I see it is if a player continues to spawn at a capped spawn point then they are fair game.

I did exactly what you did just a few days ago and got 10-15 kills and 90% of them were Natedog and Superfly that kept spawning at the spawn point where I was ranged in on.  We were about to drop goons and the vehicle hanger was up so I just kept firing away and they kept spawning to try and save the base.

Mox
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
About last night....
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2000, 09:59:00 AM »
My only problem with it is that it wasnt me in the tank!  

I see no problem with it, you take risks in doing it, and you reap the rewards if it works.

Unfortunately, there will always be some who will whine and cry if they get killed.  Dont pay any attention to them, its their own responsibility to avoid death. Its your responsibility to kill them.

Go man go, kill kill kill!  

Dago
**MOL**
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
About last night....
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2000, 10:32:00 AM »
As long as you can think "I did it and I'm proud of how I did it" it's okay    

------------------
Staga

-VLeLv FennoManiacs-
-1.PsvK-

[This message has been edited by Staga (edited 04-20-2000).]

JENG

About last night....
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2000, 10:37:00 AM »
GO GO GO GMAN   You RULE !!  

Seriously not realy any problem with it... you are driving a tank for more then 50 min to get there (avoiding all dangers) the only thing the spawntanks have to do is rotate the turret ... no problem at all  

------------------
BEE(JENG)
=CO=II/JG2~Richthofen~
JG2 "Richthofen"

'Nemo Me Impune Lacessit'