Author Topic: Radio Usage  (Read 293 times)

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Radio Usage
« on: May 29, 2000, 04:14:00 PM »
Guys, it would be really cool if country radio traffic does apply to your country men as a whole not for a local furball or local operation. I try my best to use Channel 3 when communicating with friendlies who are in the frey that im in. Take for example 6 calls, location and altitude calls of nme, 'in' calls etc etc.
This isnt a complaint just an observation, but i see on the country channel: "P51 hi from N @ 13K" - that means absolutly nothing to me or to anyone else irrespective of whether they're in the area the observing pilot was who made the call. But if it came out in Purple i immediatley KNOW its meant for those in my immediate area and pay close attention to it.
Also it would unclutter the country channel and thus the piles of messages that go through you text buffer - again making it easier to read a message intended for you or those in your area (cause the board should be less clutterd and the message stays there longer).

So in summary, keep the 6 calls, nme alt reports, 'in' calls etc etc they're really cool just try to use channel 3

Food for thought.

------------------
Overlord Spatula

flipping luftwaffles and red guys for a while now

=357th Pony Express=

[This message has been edited by Spatula (edited 05-29-2000).]
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

funked

Radio Usage
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2000, 05:24:00 PM »
That's great UNLESS you are fighting on the border between two sectors.

With our ridiculous icons, we can call 6 on a bandit 5 miles away!  So if you are within 5 miles of a sector border, you probably should use the country channel, because the other guy may be in a different sector.

If you do the math, that means you should use country channel 64% of the time!  

I assume other pilots who are in visual range of me have enough SA to know I'm there.  So if I say "P51 hi from N @ 13K", I'm talking to anybody who can see me.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Radio Usage
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2000, 05:36:00 PM »
Also, I have the three radio channels that are able to be brought up using a key combination set to open, country and squad. AFAIK, there is no key combination that would allow me to bring up a 4th radio channel... so sector comms aren't practical for me.

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
Radio Usage
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2000, 05:41:00 PM »
Nash, 4 is no problem:

chan1: "key"
chan2: "shift & key"
chan3: "ctrl & key"
chan4: "alt & key"

but I am running short of channels all the time...  we need "on-click" 6 calls anyeay..  

------------------
~Kirin~

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by Kirin (edited 05-29-2000).]
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Radio Usage
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2000, 06:21:00 PM »
Funked
"If you do the math, that means you should use country channel 64% of the time! "
Only thing worse then an unrepentent dweebfire pilot...its a pointy headed one.
No....if you are a numerologist that would be worse.

"Did you know that if you take the weight of a Bf109F4 in lbs(6393) and add the numbers together (21) you get the diameter of the german air to air rocket mortar in cm. coincidence...I think not"

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Radio Usage
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2000, 06:23:00 PM »
chan3: "ctrl & key"

Ahh.... Thanks Kirin!

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Radio Usage
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2000, 08:43:00 PM »
I thought channel 3 was for all friendlies that are within a 25 mile grid centered around you so that border division make no differnce.

Anyone else know the facts on this? like actually experimented to find out?

???
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Extreme

• Zinc Member
Radio Usage
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2000, 09:08:00 PM »
I agree with ya Spat...when I was playing online I had my radio setup as:

Ch3; Ch2; Ch4; Ch1

This way I used Ch3 by default.

Ex.
PS: 2 more months before I can play online again  , but AUD-US exchange rate is so damn low it's gonna cost a small fortune.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
Radio Usage
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2000, 03:34:00 AM »
Heres another tip.

I have re assigned the keys to the radio so i dont have to bother with the shift / etc.

i have remapped the keys 1-4 to the radios.

Key 1 - ch 2
Key 2 - ch ch 4 (squad)
Key 3 - ch 3 (local area)
Key 4 - ch 1 (public radio)

I realise that keys 1-4 are used in buffs and veichles but im always in an fighter anyway  

Regards.

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-

http://www.rsaf.org/osf/
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

funked

Radio Usage
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2000, 05:43:00 AM »
Spat we need to test that!  I could be wrong!