Author Topic: Hard Right, Victory 1 by Ground...  (Read 330 times)

Offline Fowler

• Zinc Member
Hard Right, Victory 1 by Ground...
« on: April 09, 2002, 02:12:45 PM »
Hello everyone,
First id like to say thanks for having me into your community, Aces high looks to be a Fantasic hobby.

I am not new to Flight Simulators, I am new to Aces high. I understand that because i am new im going to have to get use to New flight Characteristics and i will take many Deaths and Crashes until i get the feel for it. I am learning in the f6f because its what i thought was a stable platform.  

When i turn the plane on its side and pull back with any force at all it jerks me back the opposite way and puts me into an uncontrolable spin.  This is very frustrating because If i look to my right and see an enemy on my countrymans six and i break hard to the right to assist I usually am heading for the ground before i even gain sight.  First i roll the plane over 1/4 inverted, i pull back to turn hard i hear a loud wind resitance noise and then its spinning out of control.  Now i would say im pulling back to hard but i see other people in all types of planes banking hard left or right without any problem.  Ive even seen a b26 bank harder right than i could and he maintain control of his aircraft?
What gives?  Did my controls all of the sudden become junk?
am i doing something wrong?
please help im lost and sick of crashing with a new aircraft.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2002, 03:00:19 PM »
You need to be gentle with the stick.

Search this forum for "stick scaling".

A good site for help with scaling:
http://www.reddragons.de/aceshigh/help.htm

F.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2002, 03:13:59 PM »
Fowler,

My experiences first flying the F6F were the same !!!

I am assuming (from my own experience), the problem is due to the fact that you must be way underspeed (lack of E) and yanking on the stick, will result in the problems you describe. The P-51 will act the same way. You have to have air speed/E (and maybe some flaps) to yank these planes, and in most cases, they still won't out-turn a SPIT.

I would generally categorize the F6F as a "Boom and Zoom" plane and not a "Turn and Burn" plane.

Mind you, there are some "HellCat" and "Pony" drivers out there that can make those planes do amazing things (I am not one of them). I have a squad member that can chew up any plane with his P-51 in either "BnZ' or "TnB" mode.

The F6F needs some decent speed / air flowing over the wings to try to get into the "turn and burn" scenario. Trust me ... if you get the F6F flying within its speed parameters you can do some decent hard turns with or without flaps and can be a very deadly plane with its 6 .50 cals.

If you want to do some yanking (turn and burn) ... try the SPIT Mk IX, but I would recommend that you stick with the F6F and get use to that first. Its a great all-around plane and is great for JABO and then capping an airfield.

Check out this thread ...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2002, 03:45:33 PM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2002, 03:17:47 PM »
its called torque.

Offline DblTrubl

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2002, 05:43:43 PM »
no no no...Torque flew a hog-C not the F6F-5.  :D

Offline Fowler

• Zinc Member
Thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2002, 08:24:16 PM »
Well i kept my airspeed around 250 and it handels alot better now, you guys were right on.  Below 200-150 it turns really rough that was my problem.  I thank you all for the help, So i will always be keeping my eye on my speed gauge from now on.