Author Topic: Sound Blaster Audigy  (Read 490 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Sound Blaster Audigy
« on: April 09, 2002, 11:08:24 PM »
Picked up an Audigy Gamer today. AHVoice xmit went to hell. Comes and goes but mostly it's gone. Lotta static, unreadable. Was getting very good transmit with integrated sound on motherboard. If the new sound card didn't sound so good I'd go back.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Sound Blaster Audigy
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2002, 07:16:50 AM »
I had nothing but problems with the SB audigy.  Card caused CTD in AH and lock ups in other games.  Could have been a bad card, but as soon as I put in my SB Live! xgamer, all problems went away.

Offline Big Mac

• Zinc Member
      • http://None
Sound Blaster Audigy
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2002, 11:10:25 PM »
I have the Audigy card and it has worked great.  I disabled sound on motherboard, then installed the sound card.  In addition, I downloaded the newest drivers.  Don't think this is much help, other than to say the card seems to work fine with AH for me.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Sound Blaster Audigy
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2002, 06:18:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I tried many things but unfortunately failed to make it work. Sometimes it worked ok but most times not. Pulled the card and back to my integrated sound. Transmits very clearly now but doesn't sound as good on my end.

FWIW, I believe it to be a problem between AHVoice and the sound card/drivers. It records voice fine in the windows sound recorder.

If someone else runs into this and comes up with a solution I'll be grateful to hear it.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
Sound Blaster Audigy
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2002, 01:49:26 PM »
AKIRON,
You didn't say which OS, but if using XP the latest compatabililty update on WINDOWS UPDATE contains a fix for SB Audigy in XP.

DJ229
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Sound Blaster Audigy
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2002, 06:11:46 PM »
Originally posted by DAVENRINO
AKIRON,
You didn't say which OS, but if using XP the latest compatabililty update on WINDOWS UPDATE contains a fix for SB Audigy in XP.

DJ229

Daverino, I am using XP. I'll put the audigy back in and give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Sound Blaster Audigy
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2002, 03:26:23 PM »
SUCCESS!

While I couldn't find any audigy drivers from Microsoft I downloaded and reinstalled the Creative drivers serveral times.  No luck.

At one point I discovered that the drivers for the integrated sound were still loaded (but disabled in the bios as intended). I uninstalled those through the control panel and tried reinstalling the audigy drivers one more time. It now works great! Some times it pays to be stubborn. :D

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
Sound Blaster Audigy
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2002, 02:37:39 PM »
AKIron,
Glad you got it working.  It would still be a good idea to use "Windows Update" to install the Compatibility Update issued April 2nd along with most other updates, if you haven't already done so. The Compatibility update was supposed to fix many hardware/software issues, including SB Audigy Utilities.

DJ229
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline Hamish

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Sound Blaster Audigy
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2002, 03:02:30 PM »
yeah that's great, but that "compatability update" broke the Terrain Editor. I reverted back to befoer the update, and terrain Editor works again. Also, if your are having problems with your sound level using audigy gamer, try bumping the hardware acceleration down a notch or 2, fixed my AHvox issues .

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Sound Blaster Audigy
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2002, 03:08:28 PM »
I had tried all levels of hardware acceleration on the card. Didn't help.

I pretty much keep the machine updated with frequent windows updates which may be why I never saw an audigy driver update from Microsoft.

The problem went away and has not returned since I uninstalled the driver for the embedded sound. This appears to have been the culprit even though I had every component of the embedded sound disabled in the MB bios.

Thanks again for the tips/advice guys.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Sound Blaster Audigy
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2002, 10:52:56 AM »
the saga continues...

I found that my motherboard (ECS K7S5A) caused almost unreadable fonts in AH at 1280x1024. I tried every position of the texel alignment settings, no effect. This was only true with the latest nvidia drivers (28.32) for Windows XP. They give a significant frame rate improvement so I really want to use them.

Anyhow, I replaced the mb with an Epox 8K7A+ and solved the video problem, but, the poor ahvoice xmit problem came back. Tried many things but finally gave up and pulled the audigy. Works fine with the integrated AC 97 sound.

I've heard from others with SBLive cards having the same problem. May try the card again after next AH update.

Of course all this swapping of hardware with Windows XP forced me to call and explain to Microsoft why I needed to reactivate. While I like Windows XP alot, I find this manual activation becoming very irritating.