Author Topic: The Bane of the Whine  (Read 626 times)

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
The Bane of the Whine
« on: May 29, 2000, 11:30:00 PM »
I can only imagine what it must be like to go to work every weekday, turn on the computer, and have to look at this crapola.  I think by the time Pyro got back from Vegas and returned to work he realized that he needed another vacation.

You know, we may all think we're one big familia here, and maybe in a few ways we are, but just remember, if we're a family we're a frickin' BIG family.  Do you people honestly think that any human being can withstand the continuous complaints of over 100+ fellow human beings on a daily basis?  Get real!  Basically, you're doing the dirty deed, whether you want to believe it, or not.  The slow kill, the bleed.  Keep it up.

And don't give me any 'it's a business' crap.  We're talking about people  here, dammit.  Like you and me.  When I stick a pin in you, you go "Ouch!", right?  When I stick a hundred pins in you every day, you'll get real tired from the pain (I know, I have two tattoos - argh).

Remember that for every whine you post here, there's another 40 similar ones out there that same day, so if you really have to whine, then think about that, and act accordingly.  Take a step back, understand the situation, and get the facts straight, then if you're still compelled, decide if it's worth posting at this time, or if it should wait until more is known.  When you finally do decide to post a whine, keep it as clean as possible, and only state what you know, keeping any assumptions on the shelf.

Just remember, you're writing this to a GD person who's sitting somewhere, buried in other peoples' moans, trying to keep their sanity.  And when you've finished that post, feeling pretty good about getting that load off your chest, and take off to deal with the real world, realize that somewhere that post of yours just entered someone elses real world.

We're all just people here, that's all.

And if anyone replies here w/o reading this post through to the end, I'll do my best to slam you so hard, you'll wanna find where I live - argh.
ingame: Raz

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
The Bane of the Whine
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2000, 12:26:00 AM »
Dammo.

Well said; brother Leonid.

<S>!

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Extreme

• Zinc Member
The Bane of the Whine
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2000, 01:13:00 AM »
I'm with ya!  ...Maybe Pyro/HTC should create a *Whine* forum...That way we (and HTC) don't have to sift through the posts to see what's worth reading  ..It'll prolly make replies to whiners easier too.."put it in the Whiners forum"  ...

Ex.

bike killa

The Bane of the Whine
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2000, 01:52:00 AM »

I'm with ya! ...Maybe Pyro/HTC should create a *Whine* forum...That way we (and HTC) don't have to sift through the posts to see what's worth reading
lol! idea is great   but imao there should be NO REPLY button  

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
The Bane of the Whine
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2000, 02:13:00 AM »
*Very* well said Leonid. I'm definately guilty of the above.

I don't think anyone should take this stuff too seriously though. Mostly it seems like an intellectual tete a tete in here. Sometimes it makes for an amusing read and sometimes it's fun to take part in it. I would hope HTC takes it with the appropriate grain of salt.

The flat out pure base whines *have* been gettin' the bulk of the play in here lately though. And your post helped me see things in a way I hadn't given much thought to. Thanks. I'll try to temper the urge to fire off ill thought out replys so quickly in the future.

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
The Bane of the Whine
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2000, 03:15:00 AM »

Stop whining about the whiners  

Naso

Offline sourkraut

• Copper Member
      • http://www.riverrunne.com
The Bane of the Whine
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2000, 11:31:00 AM »
Totally agree. Sure would like to see more discussions on tactics instead. Like ...
How to stop crashing on takeoff? - Stay in the tower.
Stop getting shot down?- Stay in the tower.
Stop crashing on landing?- Stay in the tower.

Sour

------------------
Sourkraut
JG-2 Richthofen

"Hey - someone has to be the target...."

[This message has been edited by sourkraut (edited 05-30-2000).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
The Bane of the Whine
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2000, 11:47:00 AM »
Whining does point out bugs/flaws in the game...remember, Pyro did say  he found "something" with the guns on the F4U-1C.

Quote:
"For example, I spent yesterday afternoon                   going over weapons modeling in detail and turned up a few things..."

Food for thought.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 05-30-2000).]

HaHa

The Bane of the Whine
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2000, 11:58:00 AM »
Oooh there's a good idea lets not whine/improve the game at all. So instead of whining we'll just leave when we are frustrated .. yah I think HTC would prefer that.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
The Bane of the Whine
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2000, 12:08:00 PM »
HaHa,

I think there's a difference between whining and expressing a concern about something in the game. It's all in how one goes about expressing that concern that will eventually label it a "whine" or a "Constructive suggestion".

Sarcastic posts like yours don't help, either.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
The Bane of the Whine
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2000, 12:10:00 PM »
Haha, the pitfalls of whining are best described by Pyro in regards to  "Quitting":

Pyro:
"What you complain about is in my area of responsibility, so I'll give you my viewpoint. My interest is not in continuously changing the game, it's in advancing it. So I don't like to knee-jerk changes in until                   I'm convinced it is the proper action. On issues that are not clearly bugs, this may take some time.

The downside of this is when people go off the deep end. For example, I spent yesterday afternoongoing over weapons modeling in detail and turned up a few things. Good news? Well maybe in that                   case, but maybe not in the overall scheme of things. Why? Because once somebody goes off the deep end, any changes that come about will be perceived as a result of their action. That perception will frustrate the majority of players who feel the loudest voices are the only ones listened to and will                   serve to reinforce that as a means to an end. That will degrade this community and our relationship with it. Alienation is a bad thing.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 05-30-2000).]

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
The Bane of the Whine
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2000, 12:51:00 PM »
As Pyro said:

[misquote]

the loudest voices are the only ones listened to
[/misquote]

I start my whine:

I WANT MY PLANE INVULNERABLE, AND WITH AIM-9 AND RADAR AND BIG BIG BIG GUNS WITH AUTO-TARGETING BULLETS!!!!

...OR I QUIT !!!

eh eh... now my wish will be soon satisfied.            

BTW, "seriously" (make sense?? dunno if correct word   ) if the issue is to solve proved bugs, for improved realism and/or balance, or new nice gadget for all players, asking it's a good idea, IMHO.  

Naso
L'è buna!!

Offline escafe

• Zinc Member
The Bane of the Whine
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2000, 02:49:00 PM »
Good post Leonid ! Pointing out bugs is constructive... in my opinion a lot of the rants here lately aren't .
      On Sunday I got tired of getting shot down ( I'm not very good at the game   ) , and decided to do something else for a while. I played some Jane's WW2 Fighters, some EAW and even went online to play some WB's ( yikes ) in the new full realism arena......... for my money none of it held a candle to Aces High.
     For what it's worth ( and obviously it's not worth much........just look at my score   ) I have flown for a regional airline for the last 21 years and have approximately 24,000 hours in various types but mostly the Dash 8 and the Convair 580. I do a lot of panel reworks and flight dynamix adjustments on FS98 and even that can be very frustrating and time consuming  , so I can only imagine what the small group at HTC must be going through trying to keep us all happy. It just astounds me that they have created such a quality product in such a short period of time  .....and it's just going to get better and better ! By comparison ,  it took me 2 years to create a Dash 8 panel that was realistic enough to be useful to me as a training aid when preparing for a sim ride , and that was starting out with someone elses basic design  . A few months ago when the first beta came out I remember just trying to keep the 109 airborne ( remember that sandy coloured deathtrap), and now I can get shot  down on a regular basis in my great looking, great flying G10 .............I couldn't be happier !!
    We all want realism or we wouldn't be here , and in my opinion we have it. Aces High flys better and  looks better than the full motion , full immersion , multi-million dollar sim we have for our check rides at our airline. Yes there are bugs and yes there are things we'd like to see added ( there's nothing wrong with trying to make a good thing better), but let's appreciate what we already have , look forward to what we're going to get  and maybe be a little more patient and a little less demanding. Personally , I haven't found anything better out there , and doubt that I will .

PS...if there's any other FS98 nuts out there I'd be happy to share any of my planes and panels......got a great Dash 8 left & right seat panel.

[This message has been edited by escafe (edited 05-30-2000).]

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
The Bane of the Whine
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2000, 03:40:00 PM »
Ripsnort,
Since your response is civil, I'll respond in kind  

Read my post again.  No, actually, read it till the end.  Then you'll see that I'm not advocating that people stop posting their opinions, only that they think a little before jumping around like a spoiled 10yr. old.

HaHa,
Follow the same instructions I gave Ripsnort, smartass.  Oh, and may you find yourself in a sandstorm behind a camel's bellybutton  
ingame: Raz

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
The Bane of the Whine
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2000, 04:47:00 PM »
I suspect that HT and Pyro have a pretty well defined roadkill filter.  That is, they can probably handle all the BS plus some, that this community can and does belch up.

I give them credit despite the F4U-1C intro...nobody is perfect  

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns