Author Topic: Icons Revisited  (Read 374 times)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Icons Revisited
« on: August 02, 2001, 08:46:00 AM »
Please no off-the-wall ideas.. just simple ones that will make it more interesting.

Only reason I decided to revist this as a discussion is because I took a look at one of my old screen shots from WB.. must of been right after the Hellcat was released.. 1.02?

Anyways, here's the screenshot. The distances are done differently, but tell me if you notice something else different about the icons at further ranges as opposed to the one smoking at close range.

(Geoshitties site, so you have to cut and paste the below link into a browser window that is already open) http://www.geocities.com/weissdr1/scr3.gif
-SW

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Icons Revisited
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2001, 08:53:00 AM »
Man that looks like an Atari game!

No planetype at long ranges....do I win a prize?

Icon ideas....make them smaller and that is all for now.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Icons Revisited
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2001, 08:53:00 AM »
I can't tell you how much I LOVE the icon system typically used in the Special Events 3 times a week, friendly icons are same as Main, enemy icons do not appear until D3.0.  Makes for a VERY heartstopping, surprizing, S.A. experience.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Icons Revisited
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2001, 09:01:00 AM »
Um...the purple icons are invisible?

Oh, how I hated those purple icons.   :)
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Icons Revisited
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2001, 09:03:00 AM »
Skersnk, there's a running theme between that WB screenshot and the current icons we have.

Here's a recent AH screenshot: http://www.geocities.com/weissdr1/N1K190D9.jpg

They are both the same size, and so are the text. The older screenshot is 640x480 while the newer one is 800x600.

Yes Skernsk, you were right about the plane type not showing up, I believe it was until D10, which would be 1K here. D3 would be 300yds.

Rip, I think what would be neat would be instead having range info until you hit D3.0 then the plane type comes up. For the MA of course.

In a SEA event you know pretty much where to expect the enemy, so it makes that part of the job easier. The action is limited to a closer area.

Man, looking back at that old screenshot brought back some cool memories.

Look at the field, I think at was F4 (which field was due west of A1 on the old 4 corners map?)... there are no hangars just those reventments that Lazs is always talking about.   ;)  You can even see one of  the bomb hit bitmaps applied to the runway if you look close enough.

Notice the slip indicator above the gunsight? Do you see that one green line way above the gunsight close to the first canopy bar? That was our angle of attack indicator back in the old days.

Back then, those were *.bmp cockpit art so it took sometimes up to 5 seconds to switch views.

You newer guys just don't know how easy you got it with AH's view system and gunnery.   ;)
-SW

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Icons Revisited
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2001, 09:13:00 AM »
Popeye, I called them perps, perkles or barneys.

Golds were piss-ants.

Greens were kermits or frogs.

Reds were just called dweebs.

:)
-SW

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Icons Revisited
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2001, 10:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort:
I can't tell you how much I LOVE the icon system typically used in the Special Events 3 times a week, friendly icons are same as Main, enemy icons do not appear until D3.0.  Makes for a VERY heartstopping, surprizing, S.A. experience.

usually, when enemy icons are short, friendly icons are LONG.  10K for icons to pop up for friendlies.  I like it myself.  You still know who's friendly and who's not for the most part, you just don't get ID until 3k.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Icons Revisited
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2001, 10:19:00 AM »
Just remember that at ~300 yards you should be able to differentiate 10 inch tall numbers on an aircraft (should be able to tell that they are numbers not letters).

What does that tell you about "plane type" range?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline DeeZCamp

• Banned
  • Copper Member
Icons Revisited
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2001, 11:45:00 AM »
uhm.. who cares about what the numbers on the plane say at 300 yrds?

it is obvious that you can determine the PLANE type....  I mean that is what we are fighting right? not a paintjob/sticker?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Icons Revisited
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2001, 11:51:00 AM »
ummmm... can you say "real life detail"?

If you can see that at 300 yards, it follows that you can determine plane type much, much further away in RL than you can on a pixel limited 2D monitor.

I mean, that is, umm... after all ... what we are trying to mimic here right?

Not some method where somebody comes up with the inane idea that "more difficulty = more realistic" automatically, right?

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: Toad ]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Icons Revisited
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2001, 11:54:00 AM »
Toad, that's why I said that I think it would make more sense if the plane type popped up around 3K, not 300 meters. At 300 meters, that's the range you would open fire. Hell, at that range you would be able to see the pilot look back at you and watch his facial expressions as he messes himself.

DeeZ: Rational comments. I don't want to read anything about no icons at all. That has no merit in an online game. You do know that EVERY game has icons in multiplayer? Even EAW does.
-SW

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Icons Revisited
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2001, 11:58:00 AM »
SW, if I were in charge (roflmao), I'd simply put in some kind of IFF under 1k. That's all... no other cues.

You don't need type and range info at those ranges; current technology allows you to figure that stuff out without artificial help. Not as well or as detailed as RL, of course, but sufficient for our purposes.

The only real need is IFF, simply because we have a mixed arena; all types available to all sides.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Icons Revisited
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
I think that range should be displayed into a certain point. I sure would hate to have a plane at my 12O'c and the only info I see is his small dot and plane type only to find out this guy is running away from me.

I mean like D6.0 to D3.0, under that just display plane type or just friendly/foe icons.
-SW

Offline DeeZCamp

• Banned
  • Copper Member
Icons Revisited
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2001, 12:57:00 PM »
I still do not understand why people are unable to determine plane distance...

Icons off under 2k ....  There is plenty to see at that range

Another thing the range in ACES HIGH is BS

Please explain how you can be At 0 feet and see a lancaster fly over at 20,000 ft and it says 5k

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Icons Revisited
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2001, 01:01:00 PM »
Are you sure you at at 0ft? 0 ft is sea level. Unless you are level with the water, you are not at 0ft.

It's 5,000yards, not 5K feet.

As for turning icons off... forget it.
-SW