Author Topic: One very true point about all those who argue  (Read 440 times)

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
One very true point about all those who argue
« on: August 02, 2001, 01:25:00 PM »
Realized on the road the other day while stuck in cape traffic that most of the arguments on this board are people bickering over correct data of x or y aircraft, etc etc.

At least it's constructive arguing, since we're all learning from it! :-) Sure, people dont exactly express their opinions with the utmost respect for the opposing ones, but still it's interesting to see what comes out of most of them

anyway, that's all. I'm grounded until I can replace my x36  :( Any suggestions for a cheap stick that will work well for me and in Win2k?
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2001, 01:29:00 PM »
go here moose

Offline ft

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.sparta.lu.se/~ft/
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2001, 01:43:00 PM »
moose,
check out the new stick/throttle combo coming from Thrustmaster. Looks like it should be just like the X36 except that it
a) works properly
b) won't break every five months

Or better yet. Go find a used TM F22 Pro/TQS combo. I just did after my third X36 gave up on me! Still top of the line and I couldn't be happier. Well, that will be true once I have found something sturdy enough to keep the sucker in place on my desk! Those springs sure are heavy duty!  :D

Cheers,
  /ft

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2001, 01:49:00 PM »
FT, go to Radio Shack and buy some super velcro.  That stuff could keep a rocket stuck to the ground!   :)

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2001, 05:50:00 PM »
Thrustmaster is cheap bellybutton crap.

Offline ft

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.sparta.lu.se/~ft/
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2001, 06:06:00 PM »
Lizard,
very curious as to what TM gear you have tried? Yes, they have made some products that were... erm... let's say less than satisfactory. IIRC think some of their wheels would have fit the description. But as for flight controllers, they're IT.

Even now that the company has been sold, they have the greatest tech support. Spare parts in the mail (internationally!) in days.

The X36 is crap. Very good crap while it works - but chances are that will only be for a few months. Twisty sticks aren't for flying, that much is clear. CH... well, very nice gear indeed! I just don't like the feel or UI personally. Suncom also make some quite nice sticks.

For pedals, I have yet to find something that beats CH.

Cheers,
  /ft

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2001, 07:20:00 PM »
I've already pre-ordered my TM gear.  I dunno how the transition from my MSPP2 is going to be.  I know I was finally getting so that I used the rudder without even knowing I was doing it.  I'd only notice that when I flew after the rudder was shot up and couldn't do anything decently anymore.

AKDejaVu

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2001, 09:31:00 PM »
Deja, it took me about a week or so to get used to using my feet, though i dont fly many hours per week. At first I was logging out disgusted with myself, it felt unatural, but once you get the hang of it... oh boy, Ill never go back to a twisty stick.

And my saitek works great, SGE is kind of a pain but you only have to do it once. I can buy 2 X36s for the price of one of the new TM's and have money left over   :)

Only downside from my pov is what i have heard from Win 2000 users. X36 and win 2000 no workie

Edit: it also takes a while to get used to all those extra buttons. You only have to touch the keyboard to type messages  :)

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: rosco- ]

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2001, 05:27:00 PM »
I have exactly 2 tmaster products. They each work but not together. This is strange as they are a TM Topgun Platinum and a set of tm rudder pedals. They SHOULD work as a unit but they can't be used together. Finally after 2 and a half months I got a customer service rep to admt that. Now the stick sits in my closet as a back up for my son who is still using a 5 year old CH flightstick. I have a newer (1 year old) flightstick pro) and will never buy tmaster crap again.

PS Ch also has parts available, inexpensively but you don't need them anywhere near as often as tmaster does.  :rolleyes:

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2001, 04:16:00 AM »
I don't know where people come up with TM being crap.

I have had an F-16 FLCS and F-16 TQS for over 5 years now. THe only thing I have ever had to do was replace the potentiometer in the TQS, and I even got the manufacturer to send one to me free as a user sample  :)

I also have the Formula T2 driving wheel and peddals, which also work perfect after 5 years. Heck, I even use the T2 peddals for my rudder controls.

Never had any stick spikes. Never had to calibrate after initial setup. Never had to replace broken springs.

Also, the programmability of the TQS is far beyond that of the X36 and probably the others too. (I tried the X36 last year while on a trip in Texas)

The new HOTAS Cougar from Thustmaster will be far superior to anything on the market today. ALL medal construction, USB and fully programable with multiple configurations that can be interchanged on the fly with a simple button press, including reversable and selectable axis control, input scaling and user defined macros.

This stick-set is going to kick ass. And DeJa, where the heck did you pre-order this thing? I want one ASAP.

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2001, 05:34:00 AM »
Sidewinder Precision Pro...

best stick i've ever had not a single glitch since 2 years now and still is as smoth as when i took it out of the box...

oh did i say i never ever had to recalibrate that stick ?

DW6

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2001, 06:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by Midnight:
This stick-set is going to kick ass. And DeJa, where the heck did you pre-order this thing? I want one ASAP.
http://www.fscentral.com

Flight Sim Central, great company run by a flight sim enthusiast.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2001, 08:09:00 AM »
loved TM products... they had manly springs.  Unvortunately... the rest of em was designed for little ol ladies.   broke everything (even broke 2 of em in half) hats lasted about 3 months.  

I bought a CH stick, the one with the "la femme" springs in it (covers all models I think).  I put a screw in each corner and ran 4 or 5 thick rubber bands from the base to each screw.   Looks like toejam but works great.   nothing has broke on this stick.   Still have TM rudders.   first pair lasted 3 years.
lazs

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
Microsoft precision pro USB. That's what I'm using now.

Get back online mooseter!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2001, 12:56:00 PM »
I don't know where people come up with TM being crap.

I have had an F-16 FLCS and F-16 TQS for over 5 years now. THe only thing I have ever had to do was replace the potentiometer in the TQS, and I even got the manufacturer to send one to me free as a user sample

I've owned just about every TM product known to man with the exception of the "Fragmaster".  I did beta-test that thing and suggested they shoot the engineer that designed it.

When the F-22 was released, the TM products saw a definate drop in quality.  Things that I never had problems with became continual issues.  I think this was as they were expanding and corperate types were taking over (quanity over quality).  Their tech support was always first rate (with the exception of SOB) but they began to get overworked around 96.

TM really did go downhill after the F16 and TQS.  I'm hoping the Guillemont brings them back to the days before the F-22.

AKDejaVu