Author Topic: Tracer SFX and gunnery  (Read 234 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Tracer SFX and gunnery
« on: April 20, 2000, 05:38:00 PM »
 I finaly figured out what's been bothering me with flight sim gunnery.  I was watching some show on ww2 the other night and they were showing alot of pac theater a2a footage. The tracers would all follow pretty much the same path until about 500-700 yards out.  Then very randomly they would start going in different directions.  Some would go up, some down some off at any angle, then others would continue on their same path. It looked like the shells were producing lift and would just curve off course.

Is this type of thing ever planned on being modeled?  That would be truely cool  

udie

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Tracer SFX and gunnery
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2000, 07:25:00 PM »
 The key to what you saw is they were tracers. As they burn off they become imbalanced and irregular in feature and tumble, go off on tangents, etc.
 The shells in between follow a truer ballistic path.

-Westy

Offline crabofix

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Tracer SFX and gunnery
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2000, 05:39:00 AM »

Originally posted by Westy:
The key to what you saw is they were tracers. As they burn off they become imbalanced and irregular in feature and tumble, go off on tangents, etc.
 The shells in between follow a truer ballistic path.

-Westy

Thats a myth, for sure, atleast when it comes to smallcaliber ammo. I´ve shoot Hole in Hole with a .50 using tracers from a Browning mounted on a tripoid. Distance was 500 meters. This was firing singelshoots and with a M2 HB. Of course I used modern manufactured ammo, it might be that WWII ammo was less unstable.

Crabofix

-towd_

Tracer SFX and gunnery
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2000, 11:51:00 AM »
once the barrels heat up with a long burst accuracy falls to crap and subsequent bursts unless barrel cools is tha same reapeats. have seen this out of a 50 cal mg personaly took about 25 35 rds for this as they generate a tremendous amount of heat.