Author Topic: Roling Plane Set in Main Arena  (Read 568 times)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Roling Plane Set in Main Arena
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2002, 08:55:24 PM »
Wotan is saying that people will populate the side with the perceived best plane, and he's right.

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2002, 09:31:29 PM »
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY NO NO NO NO!!  GO TO WB IF YOU WANT A RPS!!

Hwkeye

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2002, 12:27:55 AM »
Hi

The  rolling plane set was about the only thing I liked in Warbirds... well, that and the plane set that let it work.

With a better plane set I would love to see a rolling plane set  in the MA.

CAV
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2002, 01:21:30 AM »
Yes, bring some more a/c and then lets *try* a good RPS.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2002, 04:00:22 AM »
I would like RPS (with P=Perk point)... like SW suggested.

Everyone could fly any plane any time if they just paid enough for it compared to current free planes. Certainly the cost curve would have to be quite steep to prevent having e.g. too many Spit14:s in 1940 :)

The time could roll from 1939 to 1945 in 9 hours?? ....1,5 hours per year. Then one would get different years every night if he logs on at a  certain time.

Or would 30 min per year be better? Waiting time for free late war planes would be shorter for those who most of time want to fly them.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2002, 06:58:22 AM »
Not only NO.... but HELL NO !!!!!!! :mad:

The RPS, and then the Axis vs Allied Arena, were the REASON I LEFT WB's for AH in the first place.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2002, 08:10:26 AM »
Originally posted by Hooligan
I like the RPS but it seemed to cause a lot of players to quit playing WB.  Early, mid and late war areas in a big arena seems to be a much better idea to me.

Hooligan

Lazs? Is that you?

:)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2002, 08:44:49 AM »
say what yo9u want but as we get more planes the flaws of the perk system become more apparent.   We can't replace it with an RPS because everyone knows that pisses people off...

We can't have seperate arenas because they don't really work either..  The Ct is ok for RPS but it is deserted at some "historical" times..  Not everyone likes the limitations that axis vs allied bring... An RPS is limited enough without further limiting it with silly allied vs axis crap.

So what is left?   I put forth the area arena idea.   guys like nuttz claim that it is no big deal to seperate the areas.   I can't imagine anyone being against the area idea unless they simply are not happy unless they can beat up inferior planes with far superior ones...  Seems pee 51,  D9, lag7 yak etc. guys would be thrilled to be fighting er, "like minded" types
lazs

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2002, 09:28:18 AM »
Negative Lazs...I prefer to bully my prey...not interested in anything fair.

Cyas Up!:)

Offline cajun

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2002, 11:33:13 AM »
I think I'd go with no... I like early war planes :)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2002, 01:17:22 PM »
Only real problem I can see is it may cut out many squads that are based on later war planes. This really is a good thing for the CT. Then again the Ct doesn't seem to be catching on nearly as much as the MA.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
NO RPS FOR THE MA!
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2002, 01:37:01 PM »
Could you imagine someone just discovering AH and wanting to fly his favorite of the 52 planes modeled, only to find that that plane won't be available until it comes around in the rotation? NOT a good selling point IMO.
Leave the MA alone. The CT should be the place to experiment so people can have a choice, then if it becomes wildly popular and the numbers mirror the MA as it is now bring it to the MA, but not before!

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2002, 01:37:07 PM »
<<>>

Possibly, but maybe not.  At first I wasn't thinking sides and I pictured an RPS that isn't Allied vs Axis.  But the CT (which typically has a limited plane set) is broken into sides and for the most part tends to even itself out.  I don't see why the players in some RPS arena couldn't do the same.  And yeah, I've chosen a side with a plane-set which isn't my favorite in order to even the sides, but I'm not the only one to do this so I can't say everyone would go for the best aircraft making things lopsided.  I don't know, I still don't see an RPS being unfeasible.  But my crystal ball isn't any better than anyone else's.  I'd like it to be tried when we have the aircraft for it.  In fact, I think an RPS is the only way to make it feasible to get some good time in on some of the early war aircraft.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2002, 02:42:51 PM »
It works like this, Steven. If the purpose of RPS is to give people a realistic opportunity to fly planes that are totally outclassed by latewar rides and to increase the variety of planes seen, it seems on the surface to be an excellent idea. The trouble is, and no matter which way you do the arena (MA, Allied vs. Axis) there will be a perceived "best plane" and people will gravitate to it. A common complaint we have now is that people fly Spits, Nikkis, and La7s. RPS doesn't solve this tendency in people, it merely switches out the characters.

The King is dead, Long Live The King!

See what Wotan is talking about? The sky will still be filled predominantly with , and in essence the RPS will have failed to accomplish its purpose.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2002, 03:09:54 PM »
While I enjoyed the WB RPS, I am not advocating it here because I understand that many players are not skilled enough to enjoy flying early war planes.   ;)

However I maintain that an RPS does:

1.  Increase variety.  Although many players do tend to find the "best" planes in any stage of the RPS, those "best" planes do change over the course of the RPS, and more planes will get used.  More planes = more variety.

2.  Provide an environment where early war planes are more viable.  (This is so obvious that it needs no explaination.)

3.  Shift the advantage to different nations.  As the war progressed, each nation enjoyed short term advantages, while its adversary produced designs to counter.  More variety.

4.  Provide an historical viewpoint for the player, as he progresses from early war turnfighters with peashooters, to late war cannon boomers.

Still, I vote No.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2002, 03:52:03 PM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?