Author Topic: WinXP registration?  (Read 585 times)

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
WinXP registration?
« on: April 17, 2002, 11:26:00 AM »
If I install WinXP, I understand I have to register it within 30 days, and it somehow reads my hardware and "maps" it to that PC.

Well, what happens in the future if I upgrade my motherboard and other components? What happens when I try to reregister on that upgraded system?

Thanks for the help! :)

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
WinXP registration?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2002, 11:34:20 AM »
We haven't had TOO much trouble.  You end uup having to call M$'s registration number.  At least that's what we've had to do with XP Pro.

I sure hope they pay those poor people enough to put up with my near-total hatred of all things Microsoft when I talk to them.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
WinXP registration?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2002, 02:23:54 PM »
Just buy a license and use the corporate install from work. No registration required.

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
WinXP registration?
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2002, 02:29:44 PM »
We've thought about getting a site license, but the IT manager, who is also in charge of ordering such things, ranks Microsoft just slightly lower than the Third Reich on the Socially Acceptable Orginization scale.

Hey, wait a minute, *I* am the IT manager...

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
WinXP registration?
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2002, 05:17:35 PM »
me too puck.. where are you in Colorado ?

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
WinXP registration?
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2002, 05:20:10 PM »
Are you guys aware that Microsoft (M$) appended their license agreement a year or two ago to read that they are required to only support an OS for 24 months?

My guess is that should a copy of Windows XP need reactivation once a newer windows version is out, M$ may require the user to purchase an upgrade to the OS.  In a way, it's not unlike renting an OS, paying rent every 2 years.  Of course, should they do that, I'll load Linux onto my box and will never purchase another M$ product again.

By the way, that silly Windows XP activation key is 44 characters long if I remember right.  Try getting that over the phone without getting something wrong.

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
WinXP registration?
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2002, 05:25:49 PM »
Originally posted by bloom25
By the way, that silly Windows XP activation key is 44 characters long if I remember right.  Try getting that over the phone without getting something wrong.

I have.  Blech.  M$ also specifies in their licese agreement that they WILL and DO collect all kinds of personal information, and they reserve the right to do whatever they please with it.

At home I have my WinMachines firewalled so they can't contact Microsoft.  It's amazing how much traffic that blocks.

I work in Golden.  I (used) to play at Copper Mountain, but they're running out of snow.  I put the Bandits away for the summer already.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
WinXP registration?
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2002, 05:40:13 PM »
I am with you bloom.  As far as I am concerned this W2K purchase I made will be the last MS OS I will ever buy.  Once support for it goes bye-bye, then so does all my MS OS's.  What they are doing is pure and simple extortion.
I did a little test when they officially stopped support on W95.  I downloaded MS 5.5 on a W95 system and went to the update site and got a promt, "we no longer support the OS".  Well, there are many updates to MS 5.5, but they will not let W95 users get them.
I can understand stoppping the support for a 5 year old product, but not the applications that are running on it, especially when they are MS based and less than 2 years old.

Yep,...they have pretty much burned any bridge they have with me.  Wait until all these XP guys start to try to upgrade thier hradware only to find they have to pay MS $200.00 bucks for an OS upgrade as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
WinXP registration?
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2002, 09:10:39 PM »
I hate what they are doing with a passion as well. However thanks to the god of the corporate license I have not had to register dick for nearly four years now. The last OS I bought from them with my money was Win98. I run BeOS (yes my work has a specific app that needs it, amazing isn't it.) and if I could get all my games to work on Linux (Ahem HTC look at this) and get drivers for everything then I would only use that at home.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
WinXP registration?
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2002, 09:51:05 AM »
So....nobody knows what will happen? Nobody here has fdisked and formatted their WinXP OS and reinstalled it on either the same PC, or on a newer motherboard than the original?

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
WinXP registration?
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2002, 09:57:43 AM »
Yes, banana, you may get to call M$ and tell them you need a 44 character reg code to hand type into the system.  

It's a pain in the posterior rectal shpincter.

Offline Aurelius

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com  http://www.aurelius.8m.net/aceshigh
WinXP registration?
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2002, 11:49:38 AM »
I work in Golden. I (used) to play at Copper Mountain, but they're running out of snow. I put the Bandits away for the summer already.

Oh how I miss the summit.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
M$
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2002, 01:09:01 PM »
I have Windows ME and 2000. Didn't pay for either of them. I had W98SE - didn't pay for that either. I don't have XP, and the primary reason I don't is that I'm buggered if I'm going to be forced to call MicroCrap every time I upgrade the hardware in MY PC. No doubt there's a toll free number for the USA and Canada; those calls are charged at full international rates to callers outside those countries. If there's a UK toll free number, don't bother telling me, as I don't plan to use it.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
WinXP registration?
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2002, 01:17:35 PM »
Didn't pay for Win XP Pro, or Office XP Pro.

works just fine

Thanks Billy Gates,

I have better things to spend my money on, than your shemes!

Jay
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline stat2000

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
WinXP registration?
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2002, 01:16:23 AM »
Have XP Pro Corp....reinstalled about 9-10 times...switched out Mobo's and I have never had to call MS to get some dumb number.