Author Topic: BattleCom  (Read 351 times)

Sandman_SBM

BattleCom
« on: April 16, 2001, 10:02:00 PM »
A few months ago, we tried out BattleCom but we weren't too thrilled with it and decided to stay with Roger Wilco instead. I've been messing around with BC again and it certainly seems promising.

Right now, it appears less buggy than RW and it doesn't seem to have the frame rate hit.

Has anyone investigated this thoroughly on Aces High before I go re-inventing the wheel?

Oh... url... http://www.shadowfactor.com

------------------
cheers,
sand
screamin blue messiahs
The SBM's are hiring!

[This message has been edited by Sandman_SBM (edited 04-16-2001).]

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
      • http://www.Luftjagerkorps.com
BattleCom
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2001, 12:04:00 AM »
Luftjagerkorps use it for the simple reason that RW crashes almost all of our systems.  I like BC and it's mult-channel possibilities.  And honestly I get a clearer sound out of it than RW.

If you have someone set up a squad server that your squad can join it's great IMO.

------------------

The quality of the box matters little.  Success depends upon the man who sits in it  -  Baron Manfred von Richthofen

[This message has been edited by Wingnut_0 (edited 04-17-2001).]

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
BattleCom
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2001, 07:56:00 AM »
My Squad , The Flying Circus, is currently giving Battlecoms a try out.   The biggest downside we see so far is the lack of AH intergation.   We also, seem to experince problems if we have more then 5 people tuned at same time.   Everything is fine for a little while, then we start getting garbled comms.   We will continue testing with it to see if we can work out some of the kinks

Btw,  has anyone tried out any of the 3rd party channal switchers for RW ?

Vati  
Ductus Exemplo:  Lead by Example

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
BattleCom
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2001, 08:06:00 AM »
"My Tuner" for Roger Wilco is a great add-on. We have had 12 people in the squad on at one time working 3 different channels and it is solid. Many of the problems that people have with RW can be cured by using a dedicated RW server. The garble and frame rate loss dissapeared (in the main) for us since using one.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
BattleCom
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2001, 08:10:00 AM »

Originally posted by JimBear:
"My Tuner" for Roger Wilco is a great add-on. We have had 12 people in the squad on at one time working 3 different channels and it is solid. Many of the problems that people have with RW can be cured by using a dedicated RW server. The garble and frame rate loss dissapeared (in the main) for us since using one.

How do you get a dedicated server?  RW page states that it is no longer allowing this...or something to that manner.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
BattleCom
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2001, 08:45:00 AM »
Dedicate RW server = Separate PC and internet connection for RW only?

Specs for PC and connection?

Xjazz

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
BattleCom
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2001, 08:54:00 AM »

I just check RW pages and find this!

RW base station! http://www.rogerwilco.com/products/rwbs/index.html

Xjazz

Offline Graywolf

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flibble.org/~tim
BattleCom
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2001, 09:25:00 AM »

We used BattleCom when I was playing WardBirds. It's an excellent product, particularly if you run a dedictated server (we ran a big one for the 'Duxford Wing' from my flat for quite a while). It could handle a lot of people, but that was on the end of a 2Mbps line =)

If you like BattleCom you might want to look at the voice stuff now in DirectX 8. I believe it the BattleCom people had a lot to do with it.

I recently bought one of the MicroSoft GameVoice things (don't laugh I broke my old headphones and needed a replacement proto). And I'm very impressed with both the hardware and the software.

It'll be interesting to see where things go when games start making use of the voice stuff built into Direct X now...

FWIW you won't see me updating Roger Wilco while they still try and force that Gator thing on you, well dodgy...

------------------
Graywolfe <tim@flibble.org>

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
BattleCom
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2001, 09:39:00 AM »
I'd second that Graywolf, KFS ran a number of servers for the squad and was kind enough to run one for a m8's Delta Force team. Even on that mega connection though it still suffered from a few stutters, I remember being up late with KFSwith one of the BC guys trying different settings.

The BC guys were snapped up by Microsoft (held in a dank M$ prison cell with no food so I heard   ) The fruits of their collective loins ended up as the Sidewinder Game Voice which is a nice little unit with an excellent Plantronics headset which at first I though was a little flimsy but its taken a beating from the kids and still works   The voice quality is excellent but they still need to add a few more features to the voice command function to make it as good as Mindmakers Game Commander2 IMO.

Apparently the new BETA 1.3 for Game Voice is only days away from release and its adds a few more features to the voice command side of the software as well as offering a standalone server solution for those clans/teams/squads blessed with the facility of having their own permanent server.

Sandman_SBM

BattleCom
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2001, 09:54:00 AM »

Originally posted by Graywolf:

FWIW you won't see me updating Roger Wilco while they still try and force that Gator thing on you, well dodgy...

THAT's where it came from! I've cleaned that POS software off my drive twice and was wondering where it came from.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
BattleCom
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2001, 04:50:00 PM »
Also be careful if any of you are FPS players and use Gamespy Arcade as version 1.07 released a few days ago has not only Gator but half a dozen other spyware type programs. It does prompt you if you want to install but I know sometimes its easy to just click click click past things and in this case you could end up with more than you bargained for.

In this particular case I resent the intrusion as I am a registered user of this product so Gamespy has had my money so its not like a freeware program gaining extra funds like in the case of Roger Wilco.

Offline Buzzbe

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.416rcaf.com/
BattleCom
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2001, 09:48:00 PM »
Hola,

416 RCAF uses BattleComm with a dedicated server, we have not found a better product to date. Seems that all Voice proggies tend to drive you insane every once and a little while though.

------------------
Flight Leader Buzzbe
416 RCAF "The Lynx"
"Ad Saltum Paratus"
 www.416rcaf.org