Author Topic: HTC, can you share the survey results?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
HTC, can you share the survey results?
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2002, 03:19:27 PM »
Originally posted by muckmaw

So, your saying HTC employs disenfranchised people in Malaysia, paying them pennies a day, to write code 90 hours a week?

Now I know why Pyro has a funny accent.

Heheh, quite the opposite.

The problem with marketing AH is that HTC is to damn loyal to their product and their vision of what the company should be.   But I imagine that most of us like it that way.:)

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2002, 03:22:24 PM »
If one feels that this is a surreptitious and unethical design on our part, they shouldn't answer it.  I don't even know why they'd be doing business with us.  I can't spell it out any simpler than that.  We're not doing this to build individual profiles or sell information, we're just looking for general information to help us spend our dollars to the best effect.  We do have a privacy statement on our website btw.

Likening this to us calling you at home or saying that you have to answer a poll everytime you play AH is a bit of an exaggeration, no?  On one hand, you say you want to participate in some polls such as what planes you want to see, but you don't want to see other polls at all.  They're both marketing polls, how are we to determine which ones you want to see and which ones you don't?  Perhaps a pre-question question to ask you if you want to see the question would solve that?  Ok, that's getting absurd, but it's pretty easy to take this argument to absurdity as has been amply shown in this thread already.

It is not our intent to offend users, but it's also not possible to do anything without offending someone.  Even cutting our price in half offended some people.  We try to be reasonable and hope people will be reasonable in return.  I can understand the opposite position and would hope they can understand ours, even if they don't necessarily like it.  I would like people to understand that we're not trying to be a pain to them and that is a real consideration to us and one we try to avoid.  But it's not something we can avoid at all costs.  

Awhile back, we had a login message in the main arena relaying some news about something.  Shortly after, I received an outright nasty email from a player cussing us up and down for "spamming" him with an unsolicited login message and having the gall to require him to click the close button on the message window before he could play.  It comes down to what is reasonable and what is absurd and that is a personal and subjective opinion.  Some people always fall outside of the bell curve, we just try to make sure that it's not us.  I think it would be pretty obvious to everyone including ourselves if we fell outside of the reasonable area.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2002, 03:29:59 PM »
Why do I have the sinking feeling Streak is counting bullets, and booking a flight to New York?

Does my profile say, New York? I need to clarify, I live on the NEW side of York, England. :eek:

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2002, 03:34:33 PM »
I have kept every CD that has ever been mailed to me... gonna glue cork to  some and use them as coasters, find other artsy uses for the more colorful ones. I actually have quite a colorful collection... thought about covering a wall with them.

Despite all those CDs mailed to me, I never once tried AOL even for free. Stupid marketing ploys are aimed at sheep like customers.

AH has always had the best marketing ploy compared to any of its competitors: free download with free HtH/LAN play forever and 2 weeks full service for free. I wouldn't have ever played it so much if it hadn't been that way.

No one ever told me about AH. I found it because I am exactly the kind of customer they cater to: die hard air combat sim fanatics. If someone who would be willing to play and pay for AH doesn't know about it already, who would these people be? Obviously not the current customer base, because people with our attributes have already gravitated here: veterans from competing games and people who know how to search the net for free game demos.

I think the AH CDs were one of their best ideas. I have cable so I don't need it, but I am willing to bet you could scoop up a few of the younger gaming crowd by having cheap or even free CDs at stores that sell computer games. Quite a few of these guys would try it and quit (probably go back to Quake/Half-life etc.), but a financially significant number might grow up to be like Ripsnort and spend the rest of their lives playing flightsims hoping someone will model the P-61. HTC would be spending dollars out of its pocket to further the very community that permits its existence. I bet that would accomplish more than gathering and analyzing customer base polls.

P.S. In case you haven't realized it, while I mean and believe what I am saying, I certainly don't take any of this banter too seriously... posting here is half the fun of AH and this is just a game. If you think this is a life-threatening issue, go join the military and get a sense of humor the hard way. If I really felt strongly enough about this, I wouldn't have ever posted here. After seeing the very first poll box, I would have canceled my subscription and sent HTC a private email explaining why. I do have a sorespot for salesmen/marketing ploys though :p and will never miss an opportunity to criticize them or minimize my exposure to them.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2002, 03:36:39 PM by streakeagle »
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2002, 03:38:20 PM »
So...what did I miss?  Did the LA7 and Spits all get removed from the game or something?  

Is this the best thing we can come up with to squeak about?  

:rolleyes:  some people.....just cant do anything right by 'em.

Offline ET

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2002, 03:45:25 PM »
Streakeagle
I agree with you to a certain extent in which I do not like poll takers and the most ways they use the information either. However in the case of HTC polls I think it is good to help them any way I can to further the game along and to increase their business to keep the game costs down and the improvements coming. I will answer every poll they put up. Maybe the first reply you received was short but Pyro's reply was a good explanation of why they do not post the survey results.
ET

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2002, 03:49:06 PM »
choice is still yours.

if you don't want to answer..
or decline...
and you don't want to see the popup...

simple.

don't log on.

:eek:

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2002, 03:59:16 PM »
My, my.  Some people get downright hostile when they are asked a question.

Do you get all huffy  threaten to walk out when your barber asks a question?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2002, 04:00:45 PM »
Originally posted by Wlfgng
choice is still yours.

if you don't want to answer..
or decline...
and you don't want to see the popup...

simple.

don't log on.

:eek:

Fantasic solution.  Lets extended it.  Anyone whoever has whined about any facet of AH, please cancel your accounts immediately.:rolleyes:

Edit: Who theatened to quit.  I said I didn't like it.

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2002, 04:02:39 PM »
I know:

$15/month AH + occasional pop-up

or

$25/month AH & no pop-ups ever.

That way the occasional pop-up would be voluntary & it could be viewed as HTC paying customers for opinions to attract a larger customer base.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2002, 04:09:45 PM »
Originally posted by BigGun
I know:

$15/month AH + occasional pop-up

or

$25/month AH & no pop-ups ever.

That way the occasional pop-up would be voluntary & it could be viewed as HTC paying customers for opinions to attract a larger customer base.

or

$1,000,000/month AH no pop-ups ever.

In which case we're really sitting pretty.

Offline TMASTadon

• Zinc Member
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2002, 04:21:25 PM »
We took a pole?? OUCH! :eek: That musta HURT!

But it couldnt hurt as nearly as bad as reading all these replies have been. :D

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2002, 04:24:01 PM »
Pyro,

No major offense intended. For me it's been more a debate about the problem this is a symptom of: marketing everything to death.
But collecting personal information for private gain such as how people spend their time and money outside of AH AND are not sharing the results is what I am criticizing. Plenty of other companies use public polls on their websites which allow you to see the results without building the poll into the game. I am expressing my personal preference (and long winded reasoning for that preference) for that format over the one you have chosen. The website poll may not get everyone that plays, but only because that is their choice: to be oblivious to your marketing needs and simply enjoy playing the game. They obviously know where the website is or they wouldn't have been able to download the game. I prefer to have the choice and don't see why anyone outside of HTC itself would be opposed to that.

Poll questions about what people would like to see in AH... i.e. planeset and feature clearly benefit me as a user directly. I would still prefer they be asked on a webpage and the results posted publicly. But, given the choice between compromising my anti-marketing attitude and not voting for the P-40B in AVG colors... I would have to answer the poll ;) That is what I meant by willing to answer some poll questions.

Originally posted by muckmaw
Why do I have the sinking feeling Streak is counting bullets, and booking a flight to New York?

Does my profile say, New York? I need to clarify, I live on the NEW side of York, England. :eek:

1) I don't have to count my bullets: I have 11 x 30 round AR-15/M-16 magazines that are always topped off and since rounds come 20 to a box, it means there are 10 leftover. I have 10 x 7 round 0.45 ACP mags plus 3 x 8 round 0.45 ACP mags that are always topped off and since rounds come 50 to a box, it means there are 6 leftover. The 600 rounds of 9mm are leftover from my dad's police issue which he transferred to me since I have a nice arms safe to store all of our weapons and ammo. I was the small arms petty officer on USS Dolphin and pretty much maintain my own weapons the same way I maintained the Navy's.

2) As a law abiding citizen, I could never actually bring my rifle to the New England area since most of the states there have decided that black rifles with plastic handguards and stocks with medium firepower are just too dangerous compared to the large caliber super accurate hunting rifles that are still legal. There is a federal commerce law that guaranteed my right to transport my legal weapons in one state to another legal state even though I had to travel through states where they were illegal. Since the California laws (where I was stationed) listed weapons specifically by manufacturer and model number, my "Colt Match-grade HBar Sporter" was legal there whereas as the nearly identical "Colt AR-15A2" was illegal (funny pointless laws). Of course my rifle was made just after they removed the bayonet lug to try to appease extremists opposing sale of "military grade" firearms :( So much for historical accuracy.

3) Use of deadly force is only justified in response to actions that a reasonable person would know or should know could result in death or serious bodily harm, the theft of hazardous items such as weapons or explosives, or in defense of national security. A difference of opinion and calling me liberal pinko-commie names is your right as a US citizen, not anything that would set off a gun toting psycho like me.

4) My IQ is high enough that if I wanted someone dead, it wouldn't happen in any way that would be traceable to me. What's the point of killing my enemies if I have to go to jail or be executed myself?

5) Anyone else that contributes to keeping AH alive can't possibly be someone I would feel too much ill will towards unless they are liars or criminals. I really do love AH and hope it continues to be the best air combat flight sim. The only thing that really pisses me off are liars. Salesmen tend to be liars. Marketing polls are tools of salesmen. Therefore marketing polls tend to piss me off.

6) This thread keeps getting larger and digressing like almost every thread I participate in... help, I can't stop typing and posting... must keep arguing... I contradict therefore I am :D
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2002, 05:08:58 PM »
WTG eskimo, you loser.  Couldn't leave well enough alone, you nosey buccaneer.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2002, 05:12:57 PM »
hehe

Drex