Author Topic: tweaks  (Read 303 times)

Offline interceptor750

• Zinc Member
tweaks
« on: April 21, 2002, 01:39:13 PM »
I was in the ma and there was a discusion on frame rates, some people were getting as much as 200, so they say. I am getting an average of 60. My frame rates will drop to around 30  and sometimes they will peak over 80 even with a 60 cap.
 I need to see if I can get some tweaks Ideas for my system.

WayneP

AZZA KT3AV mother board
Amd Duron 1000 cpu
 GForce 4 video card
256 megs ram
(I plan on getting an 1800 in a couple months or less)

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
tweaks
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2002, 02:27:15 PM »
There are some minor tweaks you can do like turning off mipmapping and vsync that will get you a few more fps (like 5-8fps).  Detonator drivers are also optimized for 32-bit apps running at 1024x768, so you'll get better frame rates running the game at that resolution.  

There are also GeForce tweak programs like GeForce Tweak Utility and RivaTuner that will help you tweak your video card for maximum performance.  I myself use RivaTuner as it's the one that lets you tweak out your card the most but isn't quite for the novice user.  GeForce Tweak Utility is much more user friendly but without the many options of RivaTuner.

A really good resource for the GeForce is the GeForce FAQ. Also depending on the model of GeForce 4 cards, the performance you see now is all you might get.  

Ack-Ack
479th FG - Riddle's Raiders

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
tweaks
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2002, 04:36:23 AM »
Why the hell anybody wants an ingame frame rate of 200 is beyond me, i guess its just numbers bragging.
Anyway to clarify the only way they can get these ridiculous numbers is to turn OFF the monitors vertical sync, personally i have my monitors refresh  rate set at 85 Hz which means with vert sync on effectively it limits my in game frames per sec to yup you guessed it to 85fps.
So set your monitors refresh rate to give you the best screen clarity at your chosen resolution then make sure vertical sync is ON !
A very good reason to have vertical sync ON is rubber bullet syndrome, with sync turned off those who can tell the difference ie not "spray and prayers"  will find they appear to have a large proportion of rubber bullets and it not only affects AH but has been seen in other flight sims as well.
As i understand it this is caused because your cpu only has so many computing cycles per second and if its dedicated to driving your fps to insanely high rates "just because" then the network code is liable to get less attention and you start firing rubber bullets, ie you think your hitting the enemy but on he flies taking little or no damage until he kills you :)
So to recap make sure vertical sync is on and if your minimum fps is 30 then your in the ballpark, now if you can tweak it so your fps is pegged at your refresh rate then even better but do yourself a favour and stop chasing after ridiculous in game fps which are more than likely going to adversely affect your game play.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
tweaks
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2002, 11:53:20 PM »
Originally posted by 214thCavalier
Why the hell anybody wants an ingame frame rate of 200 is beyond me, i guess its just numbers bragging.
Anyway to clarify the only way they can get these ridiculous numbers is to turn OFF the monitors vertical sync, personally i have my monitors refresh  rate set at 85 Hz which means with vert sync on effectively it limits my in game frames per sec to yup you guessed it to 85fps.
So set your monitors refresh rate to give you the best screen clarity at your chosen resolution then make sure vertical sync is ON !
A very good reason to have vertical sync ON is rubber bullet syndrome, with sync turned off those who can tell the difference ie not "spray and prayers"  will find they appear to have a large proportion of rubber bullets and it not only affects AH but has been seen in other flight sims as well.
As i understand it this is caused because your cpu only has so many computing cycles per second and if its dedicated to driving your fps to insanely high rates "just because" then the network code is liable to get less attention and you start firing rubber bullets, ie you think your hitting the enemy but on he flies taking little or no damage until he kills you :)
So to recap make sure vertical sync is on and if your minimum fps is 30 then your in the ballpark, now if you can tweak it so your fps is pegged at your refresh rate then even better but do yourself a favour and stop chasing after ridiculous in game fps which are more than likely going to adversely affect your game play.

I don't see how turning vsync off will create some sort of lag that will cause you to fire rubber bullets.  Only thing vsync does is lock your frame rates to your refresh rate and the only side effect of turning it off is you might see some tearing along some of the texture seams.  In the 9 years of playing online flight sims and doing tech support for one of them, I've never heard of something like that.  But then I never thought AW would go down the drain so I could be wrong.

Ack-Ack
479th FG - Riddle's Raiders

Offline interceptor750

• Zinc Member
tweaks
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2002, 12:27:06 AM »
I dont want frame rates that high. I just need to find out if low frame rates are causing rubber bullets. I downloaded the tweaker and that helped some. The rest may just be my abilities and lack of expeirence, after all this is the first sim I have played.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
tweaks
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2002, 09:53:18 AM »
u don't have low frame rates...

I run at MAX 60 fps and lowest 15...

duron @ 975mhz and gf2 mx

SKurj

Offline Aurelius

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com  http://www.aurelius.8m.net/aceshigh
tweaks
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2002, 02:52:29 PM »
. I just need to find out if low frame rates are causing rubber bullets

What is happening that makes you think these are rubber bullets? Try and get film of what is happening and send it to me.

Offline interceptor750

• Zinc Member
tweaks
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2002, 09:00:45 PM »
Tried to send films but they didnt go thrue.