Author Topic: Time to revamp the radar...  (Read 216 times)

TheWobble

Time to revamp the radar...
« on: March 11, 2001, 06:12:00 PM »
Why not make it so that Aircraft under say 500-300 feet AGL do not show ANYTHING on radar intill they are withing say 3k of an enemy base (get spotted) that would make this game SOO much funner.

I can imagine bing in a flight of 3 or 4 arados, screaming in at 400 feet doing 400mph and 5 miles before base firing RATOs and climbing to 9k to drop bombs and then hit the deck again and blast for home.

it would be a RIOT!, the way the dar is now you show up even if yer sitting on the ground, which is severly unrealistic.  

Cmon HTC it would be realistic and FUN, and it wouldent hurt the "game" aspect either.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2001, 07:19:00 PM »
I'd definitely like to see some changes to the radar.  You're idea is one I'd like to see at least tried, just to see what effect it would have in the main.  There are obviously some potential problems with gameplay.  Remember that the rules in the MA are primarily there for gameplay purposes, not for realism.  Perhaps if a automated message went out over a country's channel when the first target on a base was destoyed, it would help to balance it?  Something like, "Base A34 is under attack!"  Afterall, right now if you hit nothing but ack at a base, there is no way to know it's actually been attacked without going there, which you can't do if you're in the air.  Sure the dar might show you something is near or over the base, but that's all.

I'd really like to see terrain masking implemented, too, as well as a basic radar cross section model that would dictate the range at which a target would become visible (buffs showing up sooner that fighters, for example).  

------------------
Sabre (a.k.a. Rojo)
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2001, 08:19:00 PM »
Planning and running field capture missions is a fun part of the MA, but having in-plane radar can screw you from the get-go. There are people on late at night US time, who just hop around the towers with the large sector bars, use the F5 key to look outside the tower, and see what's afoot. When the goon is inbound, they'll up at the last minute and kill the goon.

I really enjoy playing this game, but if it were up to me ( ) the in-plane 'dar would go. It seems to have worked in warbirds, why wouldn't it work here?

There is no worse enemy to a mission than the darned in-plane 'dar.

OTTO 111th Fighter Group

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2001, 08:23:00 PM »
     The current radar setup is the weakest part of an otherwise enjoyable simulation.

------------------
576 Squadron (Bomber Command)-RAF

TheWobble

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2001, 08:57:00 PM »

"Base A34 is under attack!" Afterall, right now if you hit nothing but ack at a base, there is no way to know it's actually been attacked without going there,

Thats simple to fix, as soon as the plane comes with in visual distance of the base, have it show up on dar that would simulate a lookout or ack gunner spotting the plane.  as soon as the planes is out of sight and under 300-500 feet, it doesent show up anymore.