Author Topic: AH Gunnery compared to WW2 gun camera footage  (Read 595 times)

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
AH Gunnery compared to WW2 gun camera footage
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2002, 06:32:24 AM »
Here you can see the video, its on the german Amazon site, but its a UK import

FW190 video

And i think the corkscrew tracers are from the rotating bullets. Cause the tracer smoke will get wirled around, cause of the rotation.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2002, 01:50:55 AM »
I would like to weigh in on this one.  HTC has the guns right.  Are they realistic?  Who knows?  But they are right for the Internet.  I had a nice forty kill sorti reacently.  What was interesting about this, was one of the guys I was fighting.  Every time I shot him down, it took 3 times as much ammo as any of the others.  No I don't think he was cheating.  I have run into him in other arenas and it always takes 3 times as much ammo. Packet loss. Period.  He must be on aol are something.

Anyway, the point is, the sim builders have to error in one direction or another.  Packet loss would turn absolutely real gunnery into a bad joke, in a split second. So this begs the question.  Is real, really, real. It is not possible on the Internet. If the guns are bumped up (and I have no reason to think so. BTW) it is an error in the right direction. The only option is an error in the direction of intermittently weak guns. Gang bangers have all the advantages to begin with.  Removing your ability to finish the first guy quick, and then meet the oncoming threat.  Pretty much turns the game into a gang bang is all there is game. (can you say WB).

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2002, 03:42:40 AM »
easymo first of all if this guy takes 3x ammo consistently to die - it's no longer a random problem but probably something deliberate. No service provider remains conveniently porked for weeks.

Secondly, AH has become a big gangbang arena lately. At my timezone the odds are so lopsided that it's generally not appealing to try to stop field takes etc. anymore.

When odds are impossible any resistance is futile - MA is a borg universe with 20 player missions raiding fields protected by 2-3 tired fighters.

Flame away, that's how it is and I have no problems providing proof because I can say for sure it happens even now as I type, without even logging to the game.

Edit: Just for fun I logged on and saw the situation - fresh from reset naturally and generally what I expected to see:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2002, 03:50:36 AM by mrsid2 »

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2002, 05:52:59 PM »
Oops, forgot to mention. This was in 8 player.  Main arena is far more stable.  The principle is exactly the same though.

Offline Desl0ck

• Zinc Member
On the "laser" guidence...
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2002, 09:45:31 PM »
...havent just about all the online sims used a counter/range finder similar? ('cept WWIIOL).. not REAL sure on WB, but AW had the counter as well, I believe FA3 does too, oh & the fun but short lived Desert Fighters demo  :D ...kinda new to postin on these boards, but still not sure how the counter is that big an issue...:confused:

Offline DA98

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2002, 12:06:44 AM »
you are mistaken, that is real life gun cam

Gofaster is right, it's from CFS2 ;)

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2002, 08:13:50 AM »
Either that or CFS2 has very realistic effects :)

Yeah looks awfully familiar to cfs2 to me too.

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2002, 12:59:11 PM »
hmm, the more i look at it, the more it does look like a game, damn bull toejamting site!

how about this one?

Offline TheOxman

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2002, 01:20:16 PM »
Originally posted by Naudet
Here you can see the video, its on the german Amazon site, but its a UK import

FW190 video

And i think the corkscrew tracers are from the rotating bullets. Cause the tracer smoke will get wirled around, cause of the rotation.

how do you view the clip?

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2002, 01:31:46 PM »
Originally posted by BenDover
hmm, the more i look at it, the more it does look like a game, damn bull toejamting site!

how about this one?

That one with the Me262 is real.  Look at the smoke and the way the plane fuzzes out as the camera gets closer - that's an effect of how the lens was fixed-focus for long-distance.

The CFS2 clip was given away by (a) the debris effect as parts fall off, (b) the undecipherable generic terrain, and (c) the fire as the tail fell off - seen it many times as I go after the drone Zeroes in my Corsair.  Still, its a great clip!

Offline DA98

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2002, 02:38:53 PM »
AND: (d) the wire antenna, that doesn't lose the shape after losing one of the two supports :D

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2002, 08:18:27 AM »
Originally posted by gofaster

That one with the Me262 is real.  Look at the smoke and the way the plane fuzzes out as the camera gets closer - that's an effect of how the lens was fixed-focus for long-distance.

The CFS2 clip was given away by (a) the debris effect as parts fall off, (b) the undecipherable generic terrain, and (c) the fire as the tail fell off - seen it many times as I go after the drone Zeroes in my Corsair.  Still, its a great clip!

Yea sure both the clip are real,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,come on,give my brain a chance:rolleyes:

Offline Falcon

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2002, 04:25:12 PM »
I have been wondering about something. Does AH have slugs between the tracers like in real life? Every tracer was every fifth or tenth round.

Falcon

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2002, 04:45:07 PM »
how do you view the clip?

you have to buy it, no way to see it online, with "see" i did not mean you can view it online