Author Topic: The CORRECT way to shoot a bomber down.  (Read 748 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
The CORRECT way to shoot a bomber down.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2001, 10:29:00 AM »
Surprise.. *cough* surprising in AH *cough* icons *coughhh*

Offline Dmitry

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2001, 10:42:00 AM »
well Hans i was there also when Raub was so upset. I might also add how much i was upset. To find a b-17 in Tempest - tracking it for 15 min to find out that you are low on fuel and must rtb. 33k is very high for any fighter - Tempest is affected also. you cant do very much at this alt - not being able to get any higher - your nose is so high so you cant see anything - you need to ditch to see where is your target and every time you do so you lose 1 k at least - ending up atthe same alt as -33k.

Watching b-17 pull some nice smooth banks to the right or left at 34 k, changing dirrection - and you by slightly banking in danger to stall and loose that hard earned altitude.

I was there in Tempest, later after rtb I upped in Ta152 but you where to far to reach. I cruesed at 35 k for about 30 min and rtb also.

I guess what upseted me was the way how b-17, Lancaster and other buffs performs at such alt -higher 30 k. You been at 34 k. I dont think that I am good pilot in AH - i am still learning, but there is no chance for me to kill a buff that is going at 34k and i am not in Ta152.

------------------
Best regards
Dmitry aka vfGhosty

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2001, 11:09:00 AM »
I for one find frustrating this radar thing. Blinded becouse *one* Lancaster at 30K manages to reach (often travelling off-map) your HQ/Town/Factory? ... c'mon.

BTW, the best a/c to use is the 109G-10 with the 30mm (sometimes with gondolas). The thing is a real beast and reaches 30K in a few minutes. Better to have a wingman if you do that, tho. The HQ is well worth one death, IMHO.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2001, 11:15:00 AM »
Last time I checked, 1 Lanc cannot shut down an HQ.

Hans

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2001, 02:18:00 AM »
I didn't make the game.

Why in the world am I responsible for any of this?  What, I am supposed to let people shoot me down...every time?  I can't fly high because "thats not fair".  I can't shoot at fighers because "thats not fair either".

Get real.  I want to win, same as you.  I will NOT make it easy for my opponents....ever.  Period.  Thats final.  I didn't start my accout to be everyone's personal target drone.

Sorry, but go yell at somebody else.  I didn't do anything wrong.

Hans.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2001, 10:25:00 AM »
...bringing us back to our topic of bombers...

I've got to say, the advice you are giving to fighters is absolutely true, and it will work.  The bombers are also haunted by a couple of bugs in the program.  I use the Lancaster for most all of my bomb raids and it is for the following reasons:

1.  Extraordinary ordinance.  14 1000 pound bombs can close the average field.  3 bombs for FH (2), BH and VH..that's 12 eggs, with 2 left for either AAA or your favorite osty friend twirling around down there.

2.  Range.  25% fuel is a light load for the Lancaster, and it can go very far on that.

3.  Damage....it can take a lot of punishment.  I've heard others say the same of the B-17 but in my experience, the Lanc has held up better.

Now, with that said, here's the Lanc's weakness...

1.  No belly turrent.  If the attacker comes from directly below, they can score some damage.  But don't get cocky, if you rise above the Lanc, those top turrents will punish you.

2.  Bugs in the game.  The tail turrent has this nasty habbit of just not firing anymore, despite having ammo and not being damaged at all.  The top turrent is blessed with a similar problem, that even though its barrels show muzzle flashes, nothing is firing from it.  I had a P-51 100ft behind me, I thought I was hammering the heck out if him, but that wasnt the case at all, and he sent me back to Earth is pieces.  I filmed and sent this to HiTech/Support with no response yet.

So you see, if the Lanc guy CAN fire back, sometimes he really can't.  Follow?

And one last thing....I LOVE it when a fighter tries sneaking up on a bomber directly on its 6.  I figure it has to be newbies but suprisingly, I can embarass and name of some folks on the BBS who are guilty of it.  Somehow, some think that bombers will open up at 1.2k as soon as they can.  Nope.  And if the fighter isn't fired at right off, they try to sneak in closer and closer, to maximize their hits.  What *I* do is zoom to the fighters tail, wait until I think he isnt expecting it, and aim for the elevators.  Even if Im short, I hit the engine, if Im right on, the fighter has lost its tail and spirals to Earth    So, be careful back there.

Now if the Perk Point system would give bomber guys credit for shooting down fighters!!  To survive 3 G10's surely deserves SOMETHING!

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Aces High Arena handle:  BD5Pilot
 http://bd5.checksix.net
BD-5 "T" (TurboProp) 90% complete, first flight in 2001 (We hope!)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2001, 11:00:00 AM »
Aw well, I must have something weird hehehe... I can kill bombers all right, it's the "little ones that move" I have trouble with  

So, to start off a nice Sunday morning Buff hunt, you need :

One FW190-A8 With 100% Fuel
a Pinch of 30MM Cannons
a bucket of patience
a large doze of altitude
and a "finger" of luck  

I stopped doing this because I find much less buffs than we used to have a few versions ago, but it still works.

1/2 K higher and at the Bomber's 11 or 1O clock... wait t'ill he's busy, spiral in ovr his Top, I usualy "Ruddr roll" as to give him a wrong impression as to where I am going... and always go for the Tail...

he looses his tail, he goes down...point.

------------------
MASS/SAW

click  HERE for info on III./JG 5 Eismeer

When I was younger I hated going to weddings.
It seemed that all of my aunts and the grandmotherly types used to  come up to me, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next."
They stopped that stuff after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-15-2001).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2001, 11:16:00 AM »
I prefer slashing attacks at high speed from front/side quarter and coming in hi but go under wing and back up...this usually make the gunner switch from top gunner to ball turret and when he finds nothing below im peppering the whole side of the aircraft
If this doesnt send him down in 2 passes i usually climb ahead and dive in for the hi HO but i aim for wing tips.
No method is totally foolproof but success comes to those who wait  
buff hunting alone is a gamble period  

hazed

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2001, 11:22:00 AM »

Originally posted by Saintaw:
and a "finger" of luck    

LW doesn't believe in luck  

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2001, 11:36:00 AM »
Why is it that a perfectly good post intended to help someone ends up with peoples wishy-washy emotions and opinions all over it ?
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2001, 11:53:00 AM »
Beats me ammo

So how do YOU feel? hehehe  

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Aces High Arena handle:  BD5Pilot
 http://bd5.checksix.net
BD-5 "T" (TurboProp) 90% complete, first flight in 2001 (We hope!)

Offline Dmitry

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2001, 07:14:00 PM »
Hans whats up? did I in any way offended you? If so plz forgive me. However I dont recall saying anything that might bring such response from you.

I didn't make the game
nobody said you did...

Why in the world am I responsible for any of this?
IMHO you are not responsible in any way...

What, I am supposed to let people shoot me down...every time? I can't fly high because "thats not fair". I can't shoot at fighers because "thats not fair either".
it is fair to go high, it is fare to defend yourself by trying to get even higher and shooting down as much enemy as you can...

Get real. I want to win, same as you
I am real <at least I think I am>... You right I want to win also... It just missed you probably what I said earlier - I just cant win at 34k altitude. Maybe only now since 1.06 came out and I can fly Ta152.

Sorry, but go yell at somebody else. I didn't do anything wrong.

Did I yell? did I ever said you were doing anything wrong??? I dont think i did...
Was I upset? yes I was upset, by the way that things are... At you for proving to myself once again that I am chitty buff interseptor at alt higher than 30K and that the life is not fair   ...

Cmon Hans I trully see almost everybody here as friends, as my mates... I want all of us to have fun... Many times I hear "whines" - but I do not consider them as such. We might be playing for different teams but I do respect you and your fellow countrymen... Whats more to this? Probably nothing really more to add.

------------------
Best regards
Dmitry aka vfGhosty

Hans

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2001, 03:04:00 AM »
Sorry, Dimitri.  I didn't mean to single you out.

As a side not, I get steamed every time somebody posts on this message board that the reason that they failed was the game's fault, not them.

This time it was about shooting bombers down is too hard, so the game must be changed.  Thus the reason for this post.

Hans.

Offline Spivey

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2001, 01:27:00 PM »
Most of this is good, however attacking from the bottom and at an angle, if you have speed is actually very effective. Hanging on your prop under a bomber is certainly lethal, but I killed 3 B17's in a row taking no damage using a 10ok lo hi speed pass at them.

------------------
Spivey, buffmeister of the Flying Tigers

Offline Spivey

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2001, 01:33:00 PM »
Remember guys, that for a B17 to get that high it took him 45 minutes. Where was the fiter cap above or near his base to prevent that? Why wasn't someone looking at the map seeing the marker in an obscure sector, and therefore certainly a bomber?

What some think they can do is wait till the last minute and grab up in a few minutes and shoot the bomber down with ease. Good bombers do not fly low enough to allow that. The bomber attacks on Germany often flew above 30k. Of course so did the particular fighters that needed to shoot them down i.e. 109G10 and FW190D. You want to hunt buffs? Fly a Luftwaffe plane.

Originally posted by Dmitry:
I was there in Tempest, later after rtb I upped in Ta152 but you where to far to reach. I cruesed at 35 k for about 30 min and rtb also.

I guess what upseted me was the way how b-17, Lancaster and other buffs performs at such alt -higher 30 k. You been at 34 k. I dont think that I am good pilot in AH - i am still learning, but there is no chance for me to kill a buff that is going at 34k and i am not in Ta152.

------------------
Spivey, buffmeister of the Flying Tigers