Author Topic: Cardinals Draft New Rules  (Read 738 times)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Cardinals Draft New Rules
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2002, 03:00:54 PM »
What am I missing here? Aint this stuff against the law? Is it not aiding and abetting to look the other way when the law is broken? I don't understand why they themselves get to choose whether or not to.... hell, forget firing them, how about having them arrested? Are churches excempt from this? Is this a seperation of church and state thing?
- Nash

When the pope makes a position statement like that, it applies only to internal church procedures, not to criminal law.

A priest could fondle a minor and be arrested and convicted for the crime. But if I understand correctly, what the pope has said is that the subject priest would not automatically be kicked out of the priesthood if he isn't a "serial offender".

Pretty freaking lame, isn't it? :mad:
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2002, 03:05:59 PM »
Originally posted by hblair
Where is the pope or the term catholic mentioned in the Bible?

"catholic" means universal, so the Catholic church is akin to saying the Universal church.
Catholics claim the first pope to be Peter, who was appointed by Jesus as "the rock upon which I will build my church".

That is the extent of my memory from 8 years of Catholic school.:rolleyes: but I have retained a fair amount of catholic guilt whenever I do something "wrong".:D

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2002, 03:06:13 PM »
In catholic church there is open talk about celibacy going away with passing of John Paul II.

As for their acts, problem I see is the fact that the contact occurs with one party not having given agreement, or not old enough to make such a decision.

If bishop wants to go grab guys at local gay bar, that's his problem, and I wouldn't care less. Abusing kids who can't make decisions regarding their sexuality is a no no.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2002, 03:09:24 PM »
Originally posted by fd ski
In catholic church there is open talk about celibacy going away with passing of John Paul II.

As for their acts, problem I see is the fact that the contact occurs with one party not having given agreement, or not old enough to make such a decision.

If bishop wants to go grab guys at local gay bar, that's his problem, and I wouldn't care less. Abusing kids who can't make decisions regarding their sexuality is a no no.

Never thought FD and I would EVER agree on any subject. :)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2002, 04:07:11 PM »
I'm leaving to go outa town in a few hours Target. I'll expand on what I meant when I get back.

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2002, 09:21:31 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target

I have retained a fair amount of catholic guilt whenever I do something "wrong".:D

Now remember MT, guilt doesn't prevent you from doing something wrong- it just prevents you from enjoying it.