Author Topic: Planeset  (Read 153 times)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Planeset
« on: April 28, 2002, 01:37:39 PM »
IMHO we need more Luftbombers than anything else.

Tumor
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
Planeset
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2002, 04:07:43 PM »
While I agree that we need more bombers in general, I'd like to see them in this order:

D3A
SBD-5
B5N
TU-2
HE-111
H8K2

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Planeset
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2002, 04:09:54 PM »
Do you guys really think the pac-planeset is that important?

Personally Id rather shoot myself in the leg than fly the jap rides.

[edited for spelling...apparently I cant spell]

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
Planeset
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2002, 04:36:59 PM »
Well, not everyone is a fan of the European war.  I could care less about P-51s, Spitfires, 109s, etc.  I like carrier battles, island hopping, and amphibious operations.

The good thing about Aces High is that it offers something for everyone, and it is only getting more and more that way.

To each their own.

-math

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Planeset
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2002, 04:41:16 PM »
true true, and I was not trying to convince everyone that the euro theater of operations was soo much better, Im just curious thats all.

As for the D3A or SBD-5 or B5N...how much use do you think they will see in the MA? About the same level as the TBM is my guess =not very much. No one likes the suicide rides...

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Planeset
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2002, 04:48:43 PM »
Originally posted by Hortlund
true true, and I was not trying to convince everyone that the euro theater of operations was soo much better, Im just curious thats all.

As for the D3A or SBD-5 or B5N...how much use do you think they will see in the MA? About the same level as the TBM is my guess =not very much. No one likes the suicide rides...

They are not intended for the MA, but for scenarios.  Obviously HTC thinks scenarios are an important part of their product. I applaud that.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
Planeset
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2002, 05:06:44 PM »
I'll fly the Dauntless

You kidding me? I've been wanting that plane for so long it hurts
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline cajun

• Silver Member
Planeset
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2002, 10:54:34 PM »
We need biwingers already! :) like the swordfish which could carry a torp or 1500lbs of bombs, the CR42 with a top speed of 312 MPH in level flight, or the GlosterGladiator/SeaGladiator (sea gladiator could take off and land on carriers.  Biplanes played such an important roll in ww2 It's a shame they arent on AH. There was even a japanese biplane that could takeoff/land on water.

I'd like to get in a turn fight against a spit14 in a Biplane, would be an interesting fight, the biplane could out turn the spit easy so he would actuelly be at the advatage.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Planeset
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2002, 08:22:55 AM »
Originally posted by moose
I'll fly the Dauntless

You kidding me? I've been wanting that plane for so long it hurts

I'd fly a Dauntless if (a) the carrier was closer to the target than a land base (b) it was easier to get off a carrier deck fully-loaded than a fully-loaded Corsair or Hellcat, and (c) I had fighter support in sufficient numbers to distract the enemy so that I could slip through down low...

Offline Taiaha

• Copper Member
Planeset
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2002, 10:51:37 AM »
Agree with banana.  I would actually put the TU and a Betty at top of the list.  That way we've got a relatively heavy bomber for each major group.

I think the SBD would get a lot of use, if modelled correctly.  Hortlund labelled it a suicide ride, and compared it to the TBM, a valid argument.  But I see the TBM quite a bit in the MA, particularly with a CV close to land, flown it a bit myself.  I think the lesson here is that people will fly "suicide" rides if there is a strategically necessary reason for doing so.  After all, people fly the 110 all the time, and in most cases, apart from a high bomber intercept, it's pretty much certain death (or at least it has been for every one I've encountered).:D

The SBD also has one significant difference when compared with the TBM (and that's why I said, if correctly modelled).  It could, in a pinch, dogfight.  During WWII engagements, Coral Sea, etc., they actually racked up a quite respectable total of NME aircraft shot down.  So it wouldn't be the lumbering target that the TBM is.

Cajun, yes, bi-planes would be a great idea, and the Swordfish is one that would enable us to do some really interesting scenarios (the channel dash, the Taranto raid, etc.).  Personally, it's a plane I'm really keen on  However they wouldn't get much use in the MA, not enough to justify their immediate inclusion.  With your example, the biplane versus the Spit 14, the Spit wouldn't even try to turn, it would convert to a boom and zoom fighter.  Yes, the Gladiator, for example, could out-turn a Spit, once it got turning, but it takes so long to get into the turn in the first place that there will be little fluttering pieces where yer arse used to be before you are fully committed to the maneuvre!

Offline VoX

• Copper Member
Planeset
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2002, 11:09:35 AM »
got to say that I dont really see the point in adding any more planes to the MA anyway.

Unless they are going to be late war 'super doopa' fighters, the reason is simple, if its an early war ride people only fly it for 2 weeks before not bothering with it again, because, you are not going to last 1 minute against the late war planes.

How many Emils do you see flying?

Unfortunately this is true without the introduction of a rolling plane set, but, I cannot see this happening because IEN already do it and it is one of the major things that sets the two sims apart.
I have to say that I would love an RPS but I think the majority is against it so, we carry on the way we are until something different comes along, no bad thing, no great inspiration either.

Cheers

VoX
9./JG54
Shoot! I smell Zack! Doom's a Fairy, Jimmy's a drunk, RT is very suspicious!
how do I start my engine...no seriously, How?