Author Topic: Why I (personally) feel the CT is a failure  (Read 1750 times)

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Why I (personally) feel the CT is a failure
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2002, 04:58:48 PM »
Wasn't gonna chime in, but........
I understand the frustration lately, but all the "no parity in the planesets" is just rubbish IMO.
Several people have described Pac setups as nothing more than Allied planes hitting and "running to the acks".  
Personally, from my own experience, I've seen these same people doing the exact same thing when the planeset favored their side, i.e. the 190A5 vs a Spit5.....190 outruns/extends at will long as he flies smart.........or run to the acks or a group of their friends.
Tunisia is a perfect example:  Sure the P51B and P38 were enabled......at TWO fields, both of which were captured most of the time I was in there, therefore disabling the planes from use.
Any 190 pilot could disengage and extend whenever he wanted if he flew smart...I know, because I flew LW most of the time I participated in the Tunisia setup, and I suck in 190's.  If I can get 5 kills sorties in a 190 with that planeset, what does that tell you?
Was the Tunisia setup a failure?  Heck no.
Quit complaining about the planesets and the "parity" BS.
This is a game, a sim, and all we are doing is role-playing.
Log in, have fun......if it ain't fun, log out and look in the MA.   I've had more fun lately since I QUIT taking AH so seriously.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2002, 08:15:46 PM »
Ah, but in Tunisia the Allied planes have a decent chance at killing a 190 IF they play their cards right.  A SpitV can keep up with a 190A5 in a dive with no problems at all, and it can stay close long enough to use its cannons to get a kill.  

A zeke has zero chance to kill an Allied plane that isn't on the deck doing 100 mph.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2002, 09:42:43 PM »
I have to disagree.  I admit it is tough, but if the zeros have better numbers or pilots, they dont seem to have a problem.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2002, 10:08:40 PM »
And if the Allied pilot messes up just once, the Zeke will be all over him.
Zeke flies forever with fire and other damage that would put any of the Allied planes down and out.
Pac setups are no less competitive or "fair" than the others.  I suspect the main drawback is a lack of LW planes in Pac setups, but I have been wrong before....;)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2002, 10:56:43 PM »
Don't the Japanese also have the Tony available?  All anyone seems to be talking about is the Zeke.  IMO the Tony is actually a useful fighter, at least able to compete with mid-war Allied rides.  I'd fly it over the Zero any day.

J_A_B

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2002, 11:41:50 PM »
Yeah jab, I was going to mention that, but I figured the carrier aircraft as the limiting factor.  Ki is more than competent against all the blue iron in the pac.  Mix a couple ki with some zeros and you are really up shist creek.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2002, 11:45:16 PM »
the difference between speed of a spit v and 190a5 is 30 mph tell me what the difference is between a p51b and a zeke is?

Also in tunisia the spit v was the plane for the raf at the time, while the a5 was new in march 43 the a4 was there as was the a3. The performance difference between the a4 and a5 is less then say the difference in an p51 mk1 or a36 and a p51b. Face the facts in every set up where there are concession the allies always benefit way beyond what the axis are given.

This isn't because of biase's by the ct cm crew but they are a result of the limited planeset. Either we stick with a late war eto set up or we make concessions. All of us want folks to have fun and frequent the ct. The reality is that we cant make everyone happy.

The pac setups ups in the ct are onesided way beyond what ever you thought you saw in tunisia or in any other set up. The only other set up that is close is eastern front set ups. This doesn't mean that the axis are necessarily gonna bewalked over, the last tour in the zeke I went

wotan has 9 kills and has been killed 1 time in the A6M5b against the P-51B.

wotan has 1 kill and has been killed 0 times in the A6M5b against the P-38L.

wotan has 12 kills and has been killed 1 time in the A6M5b against the P-47D-11.

But the fact is with new planes otw we can remedy this and bring a greater level of parity between the pac war plane match ups.

I understand the frustration those flying axis face in pac set ups. But alot of it has to do more with how you approach a fight then the planeset.

Do you think the ct would be better off skipping pac set ups? or east front set ups? Should we just stick to eto match ups while the planeset gets developed?

Fly the ones you enjoy but give umm all a chance. The vf-27 guys have been a huge positive to the ct. So lets not blame folks for trying to make some fun. If its not for you or if you have suggestions offer them.

S!

Wotan
« Last Edit: April 27, 2002, 11:47:25 PM by Wotan »

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2002, 12:51:03 AM »
Thanks wotan.

I have to say though, many a time after wrangling with a ki or nik, I have really itched to jump sides for a couple flights....

I dont think it is always the plane set.  When I am in the MA I tend to just fly the hurri 1.  I get a kill once in a while, not because I bounced somebody (303s you know) but because they started fighting the wrong way for whatever they were flying.  I was in the TA last month, killing the same guy over and over again with my hurri, he was flying a spit 9.  As soon as I explained extending, we had a dog fight that lasted 15 minutes, I bbed the hell out of him but he finally got me.

If I upped an f6f all by my lonesome, without the squad, I am pretty much toast if I run into a ki or a nik (if I choose to stay engage without e or stay too long ie always), particularly dead if they have a friend.  Little more chance with the ki, but with the nik it cant be an experienced pilot.  In one on one arrangements (notice I leave out the zero) I think the pac is matched, but those that fly in groups always have the advantage.  I have to add to this that 3 zeros tends to be even with 3 f6fs, 2 zeros have a hard time with 2 f6fs, but one f6f tends to pound 1 zero.  The relationship is not linear.

My problem with pac setups is the pandering to the land base people.  Why do we have p51s and p38s and p47s?  In the hope that it will attract people from the ma (yawn)?  If the allied only had one plane I would fly it.  No matter what it was (heck had to learn the hurri 1 in BOB, and fell in love with it).  Course I am not joe 'ma' schmo in my tastes.

The only time it feels like you are at a disadvantage is when your not winging with somebody, or not flying with a group.  If your not doing that, and you normally dont do that, then I suspect you have been flyin uber rides for a little too long and should start working with others, if you are not, I dont think you are getting your 12 dollars worth of AH per month.

Just my .02.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2002, 07:11:25 AM »
One good reason I can think of for the P47 and P38 being included in Pac setups is the fact that they were used in that theater.  Bong and McGuire were bigtime P38 aces in the PTO.
The whole PTO island hopping campaign was an interactive effort between the USN, USAAF, and USMC.......a very rocky effort to be sure, but all three branches of the service were in play from 1943 onward.  As far as I can recall, the P51 was first used in the China-Burma-India theater of operations, and I am not sure how widespread it's use was.  I could live without a Pony in the Pac setups, I could live with a Jug also, but the P38 was the one USAAF plane that needs to be in a Pac setup (along with the P40, which we don't have at this time).
When there is a Pac setup running in the CT, I do tend to fly Allied unless the numbers are too imbalanced (a situation which is dynamic and can change from one extreme to the other within a 5 minute period), not because the Allied rides are what I consider to be "uber", but because I have always liked them.  I fly them all:  F4U (all variants except F4U4), F6F, TBM, Jug if I can find a field within range, P38 if I can find a field close enough; I don't fly Seafires with any regularity, just don't feel right in one.
All other supposed "issues" aside, the CT setups have been well thought out IMO, with a few adjustments here and there as needed.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2002, 10:24:38 AM »
Yeah, I guess the 38 does have a home, but was it an earlier version?

The other thing about the CT which is fantastic is the staff.  They are more than willing to tweak and change the setup mid camp if some kind of imbalance is noticed, or something is a little out of whack.

Offline WildBlue

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2002, 07:50:26 PM »
LOL... I have to laugh at least a little. Ask some of my fellow squaddies (the seemingly infamous "Hellcats") what can be done with a well flown zeke. Better yet, the zeke I was flying the night I killed 3 of them in a row. They finally got me when I ran out of ammo, but that zeke was certainly holding it's own against the f6. Or maybe the sortie when I waxed a 38, then immediately killed the jug that had been bugging me, then almost got ANOTHER 38 before once again running short on ammo. I'm not that good guys, if I can do that, ANYONE can! Patience is the key in jap iron, period. And yes, I fly whichever side is down in numbers unless it's a squad night, and I love the jap planes. They seem to like me too, lol. I agree that in these PTO setups, the n1k should be free, and possibly more available, but that still won't solve some of the things mentioned here...
Oh well, can't please everyone all the time I guess, and personally, I think the CT staff has done well in TRYING to please everyone... guys!