Author Topic: unperk spitXIV  (Read 976 times)

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
unperk spitXIV
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2002, 06:42:09 PM »
For the health of MA, double the cost of Spit XIV and perk SpitIX.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
unperk spitXIV
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2002, 06:47:57 PM »
oh goodness, here comes Mr. emotion:D
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
unperk spitXIV
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2002, 07:14:46 PM »
Originally posted by Soviet
The Dora and 51 should remain the same because The P-51 is great but doesn't hold all the cards that warrant a perk and the Dora has a good climb rate but not the best, La-7 is faster then it on teh deck, P-51 both outruns it and outclimbs it at alt it doesn't turn well.  Really it's just a fast plane that's good at E and BnZ fighting but get a plane that's faster than it and it's kinda screwed.  The Bf-109G10 should remain free too, it doesn't turn that well it's guns aren't the greatest (unless you want to lose performance) and it is pretty weak armor wise.
[/B]

When you state the strengths of opposing planes while downplaying the strengths of the Luftwaffe ones, of course it will appear that they don't match up well.  This is a fallacy, and I suspect you know that.  The Dora accelerates very well at low to medium speeds, it handles well at speed, rolls like a monster, sports nearly limitless WEP, zoom climbs amazingly well, and possesses a powerful gun package with plenty of ammo.  I've gotten 13 non-vulch kills in a Dora before and still had over 100 rounds of 20mm left.  It's one of the best E fighters in the game and one of the most survivable rides in AH.

The 109G10 doesn't need to turn well (though it turns better than you're suggesting).  It climbs and accelerates better than just about every plane, perked or not.  It's also very fast even if it handles poorly at high speed, and its gun package is far from weak... unless you consider a 30mm cannon weak?

Also, that post I made about the more skilled LW pilot blah blah blah... What I meant is the reason teh K/D ratio of the Spit 9 or P-51 isn't that high is because a lot of people who are new hear the Spit 9 is easy to fly or they like the P-51 cause they're American and they've heard a lot about it and stuff like that.  Think about it, most newbies aren't that concerned with flying the Dora.
[/B]

I've seen plenty of new players flying the Dora.  In any event, are you suggesting that, given equally skilled opponents, a P-51 or Spit beats the Dora every time?

I actually find the Dora a little difficult to get a good gunnery solution on due to it's lower velocity cannons and MGs plus the fact that the big nose obstructs the few in high angle off shots.

The inferior ballistic properties of the Dora's guns simply require leading targets more, firing in close, and setting up rear shots as much as possible.  It's not harder, just different.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
unperk spitXIV
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2002, 07:34:19 PM »
Funny thing about all this is all the LW guys downplaying the Dora and G10.  Of late, I've taken both up just to see what they can do, and I got multiple kill sorties in each.  Not 13 kills like DMF, but 5-6 on average.  Far more than I ever average in my Jug or even the Pony.
I've also flown the SpitXIV a few times.  Climbs well, good acceleration (fly a Jug if you want to see some snail like acceleration), of course being a Spit it turns well also.  But nothing to write home about.  Deadliest thing I have seen on the Spits, from the V to the XIV, is the cannon.  Take away the cannon, and their awesome snapshot capability, and I suspect you would see less Spit kills and more protracted fights.  All it takes is a couple hits from the cannon and your target IS going down.
But, same with the G10's 20mm 'tater' gun.  Map your joystick to allow firing the tater gun by itself, and you'll find yourself landing kill upon kill, using only 3-4 hits to do it, too.
Maybe the SpitXIV should be perked, but surely not as heavily as it is.  It's performance and armament are too close to other rides that are free to put such a steep price tag on flying the thing.
Just my thoughts, once again...........:)

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
unperk spitXIV
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2002, 08:03:43 PM »
DMF, u dont know a single bit about AH Dora.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
unperk spitXIV
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2002, 08:13:59 PM »
I think he may know more than you suspect Mandoble...  I also think he is a damn good pilot that doesn't have to fly one plane exclusively to do well- he'll do well in anything he chooses to fly.

And I agree with his assessment of the Dora, although I personally like the 109G-10 and 190A-5 better, I think they are more well rounded.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
unperk spitXIV
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2002, 08:20:31 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
And I agree with his assessment of the Dora

Then apply my comment also to you.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
unperk spitXIV
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2002, 08:40:56 PM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE
DMF, u dont know a single bit about AH Dora.

Yet again, you are incorrect.  We spent an entire different thread proving that a few months back.  Do you really want to revisit it?  Might as well... Here it is.

-- Todd/Leviathn
« Last Edit: May 01, 2002, 08:45:56 PM by Dead Man Flying »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
unperk spitXIV
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2002, 08:46:17 PM »
MANDOBLE,

You might as well apply it to me as well, as I too find DMF's statement very accurate.

Tell me, what do you find the AH Fw190D-9 is like?  You seem to find it quite different than most of us.

About the poor K/D ratio of the Spitfire Mk XIV.  I knew this would happen if it had a perk icon.  It can't run from too many things, if it meets an La-7 and a Spit V it is in serious trouble.  The same is true for a Fw190D-9 and A6M5b or Typhoon and Hurricane Mk IIc, ect, ect.  At the combat altitudes in AH the Spitfire Mk XIV has a lot of trouble climbing away from fast enemies even though it has a stellar climb rate.  Now, all this is true of the F4U-1C, except even worse.  What is the difference that allows the F4U-1C to obtain a better K/D ratio than the Spitfire Mk XIV?  Simple, the icon.  F4U-1C's don't call a gangbang onto themselves.  Because of that F4U-1Cs can use their superior capabilities (that got them perked) without having their significant shortcomings exploited enmasse.

Another thin about the Spitfire Mk XIV.  Look at these charts:

The speed is pretty good, not top line until it gets way up there, and the climb is fantastic.  Now look at the MIL lines only.  Suddenly it doesn't look so hot, does it?  The Spitfire Mk XIV only has 5 minutes of WEP and it gets all of what makes it perk worthy from those five minutes.  Once that has run out it is totaly screwed.  The Luftwaffe piston aircraft that are perked or top end free have 15 minutes of WEP, and don't lose as much when it runs out.

Clearly the Spitfire Mk XIV needs to be perked.  If it weren't it would swamp the MA.  I also don't think that the Fw190D-9, Bf109G-`0 or P-51D should be perked.  They're fine as is.

However, the Spitfire Mk XIV doesn't justifiy the price that is currently attached to it.  If the F4U-4, Spitfire Mk XIV and Ta152H-1 were labeled F4U, Spit and 190 the price would be justified, but with the perk icons the high price of the F4U-4 and Spitfire Mk XIV is simply too much.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Beegerite

• Copper Member
unperk spitXIV
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2002, 09:07:57 PM »
Perked? Yes!  Points 60? No way!!! Perks should be in direct relation to performance.  

Why is it that in these discussions practically nobody post hard numbers?  

If you really want to know which airplane is better spend some time offline flight testing.  Hell, we don't even have to contend with pressure, temperature and other variations.  This is a computer program and should always react exactly the same way unless anyone here thinks that HTC has programmed for different results depending on all the variables which affect real life airplanes.  I seriously doubt it.

We as a group should spend more time really getting to know how these airplanes react by actual testing rather than depending on perceived ideas or what we've heard from others.  I suspect that if we did that we might become much more informed consumers and be able to offer much better suggestions on how to improve the game.

Beeg

Offline cajun

• Silver Member
unperk spitXIV
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2002, 09:54:28 PM »
leave it perked! come fly in the H2H and you will see how agrivating it is almost EVERYONE is the new SPIT lol! maybe u could perk it down just a LITTLE but leave it perked.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
unperk spitXIV
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2002, 10:41:12 PM »
Some planes with poor record should be perked by the current criteria.

La7 comes to mind. Its poor record is only to the dweebs taking off in it from vulched fields. Why ? If you allow it 10 seconds to climb, it will be on you. Simple as that.

When was the last time you saw the Dora take off from a vulched field ?

IMO, La7 is more capable than the D-9 in most aspects. P51 is about the same. Spit XIV is better except dive, deck speed and roll. So I don't see how it is perked so high if unperked rides can outrun it. Just yesterday I was outdiving a XIV in a 190A-8 ;).

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
unperk spitXIV
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2002, 10:50:26 PM »
not to mention that MOST of the Spit 14 deaths are credited to people that didnt pay attention in class and still cant tell the difference between SpitIV and SpitXIV.

Oh the joy of vulching a spitXIV 5 times in a row until he runs out of perks and notices his error... BURN SPITDWEEB BURN MWAHAHAHAH ;) ;) ;) :D :D

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
unperk spitXIV
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2002, 10:59:06 PM »
Originally posted by Tac

Oh the joy of vulching a spitXIV 5 times in a row until he runs out of perks and notices his error...

i envy you for that
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
unperk spitXIV
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2002, 11:29:56 PM »
qts time on line may effect cumulative perks at the the end of the tour. It doesnt effect the potential for perks earned per sortie that much. a 5 kill run of spit ixs in a 205 will earn you more perks then a 2 hour 10 kill run of 202s while flying an la7.

With the main as packed as it is it really takes no skill to get 2-3 kills per sortie. the biggest factor determining perk points is what plane you fly. Next is what plane you kill.

If you care nothing about flying perk planes then who cares. But if you desire one then do whats necessary to earn one like the rest of us do.

I gave your last tour score a look over. while you may not spend most of your 23 hours online in planes with a lo eny value its your inability to get kills. you have a little more the 1/2 time as much time as I have in the main. But I have lost more perks points this month then you probrably earn in 6. However I still have a crap load more.

So even though you fly 1/2 as much as I do I probrably earn significantly more perks points. More then what can be simply explained away by time in game.

A lot of folks like to complain about how the game should be "designed" to suit how they fly. How about putting that energy into learning to fly how the games designed. No one is missing out on anything because perks planes arent cheap or free. If you want one theres a simple way to get it. Its been covered over and over.

Festerbria complaining about perk values is like Ross Perot arguing he cant afford a 79 cent cheeseburger. 2500 kills per tour i bet you can afford spit xivs till vrs 2.09 :rolleyes:

Again this is only if ya care about perk planes. If you dont who
cares.

heres the secret formula

fly planes with a hi eny value and target and kill planes with a lo eny value. Yup its that damn simple. And dont gimme crap about skill cause I suck. It doesnt take anything to get kills in the main now. Very little acm is needed. Head to the nearest gangbang/vulchfest.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2002, 01:01:40 AM by Wotan »