Author Topic: Why are field ACKS so incredibly pathetic?  (Read 338 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Why are field ACKS so incredibly pathetic?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2002, 02:22:32 PM »
They already do hit freindlys.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2002, 02:39:41 PM »
>>I think you are misunderstanding. AI ack, not mannable, is on your FE. You flying thru any AI ack is occurring on your system, thus lag has nothing to do with it hitting or missing you. <<

I may have misunderstood but, I was misunderstood as well; Botabing didn't mention lag, I did. And my perspective was from the manneable ack perspective which, was in response to Botabing's original post.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2002, 03:29:33 PM »
Erm, HT, if I fly straight behind an enemy plane real close and we dive into ack, I am the one that gets hit constantly, the other guy never gets hit.

When on the deck at grass-cutting alt and you are being chased by a close con (d200 or so),  you fly directly over one of your acks while its firing at the con behind you and it kills it. But it never hits me. I dont see how I can fly straight at my own ack while its supposedly firing at something behind me at near ground level and have the con get shot down but not me.

I'd love to know how. (and im talking about vh ack, where there's only 1 firing).

I have seen FLAK hit friendlies on occassions (and ive been shot down by my own flak sometimes), but tracer aaa? never seen that.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2002, 03:54:32 PM »
Ever take off cv and have the ack track across you and kill you?

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2002, 03:55:12 PM »
Originally posted by Don
>>I think you are misunderstanding. AI ack, not mannable, is on your FE. You flying thru any AI ack is occurring on your system, thus lag has nothing to do with it hitting or missing you. <<

I may have misunderstood but, I was misunderstood as well; Botabing didn't mention lag, I did. And my perspective was from the manneable ack perspective which, was in response to Botabing's original post.

Quite right. I stand corrected. I misread the flow of the thread. I thought you were commenting on the lag post by skurj. My apologies.

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2002, 04:10:43 PM »
Been killed by me own ack many a time.:rolleyes:

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2002, 05:15:16 PM »
"Ever take off cv and have the ack track across you and kill you? "

never :( .

Ive even landed in a CV with 1 guy hot on my tail at wate'rs edge and never got hit by my own fleet ack whizzing from dead in front of me.
:confused:

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2002, 06:28:51 PM »
Originally posted by hitech

HiTech

How about giving us mannable 88's at the Large bases ?
The 5" guns on the Fleets are great... It would sure be sweet to have em at the Large fields also...  Those black puffs of smoke and sound make it seem so real...  I think Jordi even did a portion of his article based on "Flak you can walk on" for one of the Combat Sim write ups...

Thanks

BOOT

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2002, 06:38:14 PM »
Originally posted by hitech

Yup.

About once a month.

eskimo

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2002, 06:47:08 PM »
The field AI ack was officially neutered with the release of v1.05.
It was in the readme file for that release IIRC.

I was one of the first guys in the MA after v1.05 was released then SUPERFLY and I took off from a CV to attack an undefended large size airbase on ndisles map. I had all the ack down within 10 seconds after the attack while SUPERFLY was away doing something else on the other side of the island. I was in an F4U1D.

Before that I had never been able to deack a field in all my months in AH. Not even the day before. I did not get better overnight.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2002, 07:48:30 PM »
Few days back I noticed one of our bases flashing as if under attack. So I jumped to that tower to check it out and low and behold a enemy Panzer was just sitting near the runway happy as can be. The ack was up but none were shooting at him.

Strange... So while wondering how this could be, I manned the closest ack gun to him range of only 100 yards and fired one round . POP! :-)

While great fun I still don't see how he can sit there without the ack firing. This base wasn't newly captured or anything. And there were no other enemies near by.

...-Gixer

Offline AKEagle+

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2002, 09:17:03 PM »
Let's face it....we're all vultch sluts at heart.

Popeye, you are obviously a man who searches for, and finds truth! :)

Face it, vulching is the closest thing to Nirvana that can be found in virtual reality! :D

It would be nice if they added more manned ack postitions at the field.

AK("I vulch therefore I AM!")Eagle+

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2002, 09:48:18 PM »
The ack is fine now.

I like it this way, still very deadly if you hover over it too long but not the 1 or 2 hit insta kill wonders of before.  Trust me folks you don't want to go back to the way ack used to be I really hated it, i wouldn't even de-ack a field cause i would dive in have the AI ack kill me and some jerk taking off would get the kill, no effort required on his part.  If you are taking off from a vulched field it's your own fault, even if you have ack up.  And even if the ack was up someone coming in vulching fields would have a pretty easy time waiting till your away from the runway then dive in and kill you in a low E state.

Trust me it's fine now and it should stay this way, it's still deadly but not the superman ack of before.

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2002, 05:48:33 AM »
Radomly set acks>??

Some are brutel some aren't >??

~A

Offline handy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2002, 02:36:45 PM »
Pierre Clostermans   Book "The Big Show" Paraphrasing here..
Nine of us in tempests attacked the airfield.
When we came out the other side there were 2 of us left.
Sounds like the ack they faced was fairly competent?
    I think HT makes changes to aid game play and make the experience more fun for the most people.  Nothing wrong with that...