Author Topic: What's so special about the P-40?  (Read 386 times)

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
What's so special about the P-40?
« on: May 01, 2002, 04:07:13 PM »
No, this is not a troll. This is a simple quest for information from a person who is uneducated in Warbirds.

I read the stats on the P-40 in one of my books at home, and aside from the top speed, why is everyone so excited about this plane? Is it an excellent Jabo platform? Is it a great BNZ or Turn fighter? Or is it the fact that the plane just has sweet lines. Is it the fact that John Belushi flew one in the movie "1941"?

So what is it?

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 04:12:12 PM »
What's so great about it? It's a P-40, of course. :D
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2002, 04:12:40 PM »
In the MA it won't be so great but in a more historical setting it will be a fun bird.  It's main strengths were good diving and roll rate.  It also has 6x50's and can carry 1x500lb bomb.  It fought all over the world, so it is a must have.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2002, 04:17:15 PM »
Its not always the performance of the plane that is the most attractive... sometimes its the history.

I will be flying the P-40 exclusively... and I only know about its performance from what I've read here.  All I know is that since I was a wee lad... I've always seen the P-40 and thought it was the personification of ww2 fighters.  That is why I will fly it.

Others... feel free to use performance as the primary factor in plane selection.

AKDejaVu

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2002, 04:35:51 PM »

I read the title and immediatly head, in my head...

I believe he said "Blessed are the cheesemakers".

"What's so special about cheesemakers!?"

"Well, it's not meant to be taken literally, it refers to any manufacturer of dairy products".

The P40 held the line for a long time.  It was up against "better" aircraft, and required the people driving it to rethink  air-to-air tactics and really fly to their aircraft's abilities while avoiding situations that favored the other guys.  In the right hands it was deadly against far more modern fighters.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Aub

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2002, 04:42:57 PM »
The P-40 is a must have because it flew EVERYWHERE

1) It was the primary Pacific land-based fighter for the first half of the war

2) It was used extensively in the Mediterranean, especially on Malta

3) It became the primary Russian fighter before the Lachovkins and Yakolevs came along

Aub

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2002, 04:48:29 PM »
I don't think it was the primary Russian fighter, Aub. Maybe primary lend-lease Russian fighter. I'm pretty sure the old I- bi/monoplanes and LaGG-3s made up the most numbers.

It's a welcome addition though, if only for its scenario versatility.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Aub

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2002, 04:52:48 PM »
Probably right, Dowd. All I know is that had ALOT of them, and that the Russians flew them better than anyone else :)

Aub

Offline ZeroPing

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2002, 05:06:19 PM »
Reason i like the P40 is because of Pearl harbor and it is a new plane for the CT etc etc

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2002, 05:32:14 PM »
The Soviets received quite a few P40s from Great Britain's lendlease agreement with the USA.

UK Lend-lease

Of an original order for 471 Tomahawk IIB fighters, AK100 - AK500. Of these 21 were lost at sea en route to Britain. Of the remaining Tomahawks "125 were shipped to Russia and 9 transferred to the RCAF and one to the Turkish Air Force. 36 were diverted to China for use by the 'Flying Tigers'. Britain released a total of 100 Tomahawks to the AVG which adopted the famous shark's teeth nose emblem originating with the RAF which used the markings on its Tomahawks in North Africa during 1940."

Tomahawk/Kittyhawk Models

Tomahawk (Model 81) A total of 1180 delivered under British direct-purchase contracts. In addition, the RAF took over ten P40C fighters from the USAAC. The RAF operated them as Tomahawks of an unspecified mark and without RAF serial numbers.

Tomahawk I (Model H81-A) A total of 140 equivalents to the USAAC P40, except for four wing guns, were ordered on two contracts with deliveries commencing in April 1940. It was decided that these were unsuitable for combat use and they were relegated to training roles.

Tomahawk II Designation not used officially for specific aircraft, but was a generalisation for improved Tomahawks delivered during October and November 1940.

Tomahawk IIA (Model H81-A2) Protective armour and externally-covered self-sealing fuel tanks on 110 aircraft equivalent to the P40B. 23 transferred to the USSR and one to Canada as an instructional airframe.

Tomahawk IIB (Model H-81-A2, A3) A total of 930 in four lots. These were generally equivalent to the P40C and were used extensively by the RAF and SAAF in North Africa as from 16 June 1941. Of these, 100 fighters unofficially designated H81-A3 were released to China and used by the AVG. A further 23 went to the USSR, and unspecified numbers went to Turkey and Egypt.

Kittyhawk The French contract for Curtiss Model 87s was taken over by Britain prior to construction commencing. The airframe and engine changes justified the new name - Kittyhawk. A total of 560 was procured on direct-purchase contracts and a further 2432 were supplied by the Lend-Lease programme, bringing the total to 2992.

Kittyhawk I (Model A87-A2) Fitted with four .50 cal wing guns, the 560 fighters were comparable to the P40D. The UK took over the initial French order and deliveries commenced in August 1941, with 72 diverted to Canada, and 17 to Turkey.

Kittyhawk IA (Model H87-A3, A4) The 1500 fighters were direct equivalents of the P40E and were delivered under the USAAC designation P40-1 to distinguish the British equipment etc. from those for US service. Many were diverted to Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Kittyhawk II (Model H87-B3) WW2 British sources identify the 330 RAF P40Fs and P40Ls as Kittyhawk IIs; later records list the first 230 as Kittyhawk IIAs. 81 were transferred to the USAAC overseas and 7 were given to the Free French Air Force. RNZAF had one.

Kittyhawk III Of the 616 Kittyhawk IIIs, the first 192 were P40K-1s, the next 160 were P40Ls, and the final 264 were P40Ms. The last 170 were diverted to the USSR. 9 P40K-1s were delivered to the RCAF on 26 Nov 1942 retaining their US serials.

Kittyhawk IV (Model H87V, W) The final 586 Kittyhawks were USAAC P40Ns delivered from Mar 1943 - Jan 1944 of which 130 were diverted to the USSR. The type was used by the RAAF, RNZAF and the RCAF.

(When Curtiss introduced the P40F powered by the Rolls Royce Merlin engine, the new name Warhawk was applied to distinguish it from the Allison-engined P40D and P40E. This name was not adopted by the RAF for the re-engined model, and the name Kittyhawk was retained for both versions of the Model 87).

Although the P40 was used by many nations during WW2, the UK was the only purchaser of the type other than the USAAC. Many RAF models were released for use by other Allied air forces (for free??).

Taken from 'Lend-Lease Aircraft in World War II' - Arthur Pearcy

I'd love to see a RAF/RAAF/RNZAF/SAAF P40 in desert scheme!  :)

Regards
NEXX

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2002, 05:42:27 PM »
S! AUB

P-40 wasn`t used on Malta much, certainly not during the intense fighting of `41 and `42.  Was only used a little during the invasion of Sicily, based out of Malta and Pantelleria.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2002, 05:54:49 PM »
It's a bit of a turd.  But it was widely used.  The main attraction is that it was used by the AVG (Flying Tigers), a topic of many books and films.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2002, 06:59:45 PM by funkedup »

Offline Aub

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2002, 06:10:50 PM »
Howdy Buzz :)

You sure? I seem to recall reading...

CUT!

Ok, I remember now. I added P-40s in that scenario so that there would be enough spots for everyone to fly.

Carry on :)

I do know that P-40s were used SOMEWHERE!!!

Aub

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2002, 06:54:11 PM »
Well it is Historicaly signastudmuffinant to say the lest, and I CAN NOT WAIT TO KILL THEM, in my Zero:)

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2002, 07:07:35 PM »
It's special because it's part of a move to incorporate early-war aircraft which may include some favorite airframes for some of us and give the game a new flavor with some lesser performing aircraft.