Author Topic: I wanna be a Luft-weenie.  (Read 390 times)

Offline grizz

• Copper Member
I wanna be a Luft-weenie.
« on: May 01, 2002, 07:55:51 PM »
Hi all    :D

I've been flying Allied planes almost exclusively since I discovered flight sims and feel it's time for a change.

What would be a good starting point for Axis aircraft?

I don't really have one "style" that I adhere to. Probably more like B'n'Z till I'm tired of extending....then fight for angles till he's on my six then stall fight on the deck till I need to swim for the tower, all rolled into one encounter.  :)

I've been thinking of starting with the 109 series though I don't know the differences between them.

Good choice? Bad one?

Give me your thoughts. Tips and secrets would be nice too.  :)

Thanks,

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2002, 12:42:43 AM »
Hi!

Check this  out first.

109G2 is good choise.

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2002, 02:53:08 AM »
I think the 109g2 is a good starting point. Try to fly a plane for a complete tour and work through the series (109), than switch to 190's.

If you want some 1v1 training pass me a mail.

j_apar@hotmail.com

Apar

9./JG54 'Gruenherz'

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2002, 07:06:30 AM »
You'll also need to go here, luftweenies have a strict dress code.

here

You'll be expected to wear it inside out of course.:D
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2002, 12:34:09 PM »
109s are hardly simple Bnz'rs

Theres a difference in Energy management and strict BnZ'n. In a 109 you can "push it" a bit more then the 190s because of its acceleration. 190s bleed e faster so using verticle and pitch back manuvers are necessary to maintain your energy.

Also in a 190 you need a bit more disciplined SA then a 109. once you are slo in 190 with enemy that are equal or with a higher e state you will be in for tough time. But with time in plane you will get to know to push and when to play it safe.

190s roll well and dive wonderfully.

one more thing with the 190 you can scissor really well. However "scissor" is not a simple guns defense. The idea here is to cause an overshot so you can get a snapshot. If you practice this it can be very usefull in a 1 v 1 where the attacker has a higher e-state. But again this aint a move just to make the other guy miss. you wanna bleed a little e in each reverse so that in the 3 or 4 scissor the attacker will overshot and when he does you have to kill him. If the attacker doesn't follow you into the scissor and goes vert or you miss in the overshoot you wil be in trouble.

Offline grizz

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2002, 06:01:28 PM »
Xjazz,
 thanks for the reminder. I started reading that thread when it originated, but forgot about it. :)

Good read that one.
---------

Apar, thanks for the offer. When I'm comfortable with the plane I choose first, I'll see you for help.
---------

Thrila, was thinking ahead and picked up some of those last week. :D  Gonna take some getting used to.  Heh.
---------

Wotan said  " the 109 is hardly a simple BnZ'er"

I don't think anyone in this thread said it was  :).

I've been trying both the 109 and 190 series offline a bit. Trying to get a "feel" (oops...there's that word again) for them. I wanted to start the new tour flying Axis for a while.

Thanks for the responses.  :)

Offline grizz

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2002, 06:06:41 PM »
Back....just remembered a couple questions I meant to ask.  :)

What's a good convergence for the G2 weapon set?

What would be an average fuel load? Always take full tanks and fly conservative till they empty a bit?

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2002, 06:15:52 PM »
I set the convergence of for the 109 and 190 to 250.  Used to go with 300 but have found that as I have improved from horrid to just kind of bad, that the ranges I can close to and hang in there have gotten shorter and shorter.

For the most part I fly with 50% fuel.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2002, 06:30:51 PM »
Hi griz!

It is nice to know there is someone giving LW planes more attention :)

I myself started out with a 109F-4 when I was a total newbie on flightsims, thought it was too hard and went through a lot of different aircraft of all sorts, and resettled to 109s again after I learned to fly.

The way I see it, overall discipline in flying and fighting are same in all planes, except each plane has their own special attributes which you must exploit to full potential.. and 109s have some very interesting features :)

Of the unperked 109s, I also suggest you try the G-2. It is wonderfully forgiving, and the best balanced in overall turn/knife/stall fighting, strict disciplined BnZ and 'Hybrid' style of fighting, too. If you are confident with gunnery, the G-6 with MK108 is good, but it is a bit hard to survive in than the G-2. (besides, the G-2 collects wonderful perks too !)

I set my convergence at about 200~250 for all 109s, and about 300~350 for all 190s.

:)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2002, 06:46:06 PM »
g2 has a center mounted mg151/20  convergence is irrelevant

now gondolas I would suggest learn to fly without umm.

I never fire outside of 250 mostly I get in closer

and btw where did i attribute

109s are hardly simple Bnz'rs

to you? or anyone?

if you had re read your original post

I don't really have one "style" that I adhere to. Probably more like B'n'Z

and

I've been thinking of starting with the 109 series

and

Give me your thoughts. Tips and secrets would be nice too

so if as you claim you prefer bnz then "starting with the 109" wouldnt be the plane you want. The 190 would be.

the thing about the 109 is you want to keep between 300 - 400 mph. Above 400 the plane is hard to manuver.

The typical BnZ

is as follows

the best position to put yourself in is for a "high side" guns attack. To achieve this you want to begin your attack from a higher altitude then the bandit. This will ensure you have a much higher kinetic energy state. You want to dive behind and below the bandit and enter into a shallow climb and shoot him from below.

With the icons in the main the majority of the time the bandit will spot you. So you went to get in as fast as possible. The 190a8 is  a great hi speed gun platform. The bandit will see you anyway and to get a better guns solution it may be necessary to "cheat a little by following the bandit through the initial part of his break.

In a 109 you will most likely be in compression and the best you would be able to do is use elevator trim to climb. Even a pitch bac manuver will give bandit much more time to recover and reset for the next attack.

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2002, 02:29:44 AM »
so you wanna be Luft-weneei .. chmmm and do you already have Leather pants ?

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2002, 02:30:47 AM »
Originally posted by thrila
You'll also need to go here, luftweenies have a strict dress code.

here

You'll be expected to wear it inside out of course.:D

ROFL