Author Topic: What's so special about the P-40?  (Read 371 times)

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
What's so special about the P-40?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2002, 07:24:29 PM »
I love the P-40 the same way I love my 1980 Corvette.

Back in 1979 all the other kids wanted Lamborghinis and Porches... I happened to like the look of the 1980 Corvette better than anything else on the road except for the early '70s Porche 917 (which was never streetable anyway).

Now that I know all about performance... I still love the 1980 Corvette and have owned 3 of them.

I like the P-51 and F4U more than the P-40, but it is a close 3rd place. I will certainly fly it in this game as much or more than I fly any other American fighter. I have no use for flying Spits, Typhs, Temps, or N1Ks... give me 100% raw American iron with 0.50 cal machined guns :) Though I will fly A6Ms to beat Spit gangs and Spits to beat Tempest gangs. In the CT, I always fly on the undermanned side... usually LW :(
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Taiaha

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2002, 08:03:10 PM »
It's important to me as a Kiwi; it was all we had in the early part of the war until the US had enough Corsairs to spare, later on.  It was responsible for the majority of all nme aircraft shot down by Kiwis during the war in the South Pacific, I believe.

But I think people expecting it to be an early kill will be a little surprised.  It was definitely not a slug, and in fact racked up a pretty respectable kill ratio, particularly in defending Australia, even when it was up against superior numbers of a "superior" fighter.

To make it work in the MA, just make sure you fly in pairs.  Historically, this worked pretty well against the lighter and more agile Zero.  It was a pretty popular choice when introduced in Warbirds, I seem to recall.

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2002, 10:20:50 PM »
I gotta go with the "it looks cool"

If ya gotta git kilt in sumthin' ya should at least look good while spiralin' to earth. :D

I dunno if I'll make it my "main" ride, but I do know that as far as allied planes go, it looks as good (better) than a Pony B and plus it's got more guns.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2002, 10:36:50 PM »
its looks are inspired by a dream kurt tank had. I can almost guarrantee that had he not spent the early 1930s in a continous drunken orgy with the most beatuful virgins in Europe he wouldnt have let slip his idea.

So basically most of the design of the p40 is based on Master Kurts thought process that lead to the most beautiful plane design ever

the FW190

ofcourse the allies completely feminized the p40 until it resembles that "gay uncle" the fws never talk about.

Offline -raxx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2002, 12:35:55 AM »
Echoing what Taiaha said the P40 in Kiwi hands was responsible for 99 kills in the Pacific Theatre, (1/8th of all IJN and IJA aircraft shot down).  It was a great multi-role aircraft and when there weren't enough targets in the air they switched to ground attack and interdiction raids against supply barges.  At one point there weren't enough iron bombs so the armourers fitted fuses to drop tanks and filled them with petrol and oil, (mmmm napalm).

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2002, 04:05:53 AM »

And more P40(0) stuff

Offline Slayer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2002, 07:19:25 AM »
It will be my main ride. I have been wating on this for a long time. I have vids on the aircraft, an original owners manuel to the plane even a signed book from a chap I met that flew with the AVG. The plane is all history and when used to its potential rather deadly. Just look at the tonnage of aircraft shot down by the AVG its amazing.

It may not be the best flying plane but you can bet if u run into one it will have one of the arenas best sticks at the controls.

Slayer

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2002, 08:03:09 AM »
Whats so special?  Well, by looking at this picture, I see a striking resemblence to a FDB member in THIS P40 cockpit...

(SOB?)

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2002, 10:19:29 AM »
Originally posted by Wotan
its looks are inspired by a dream kurt tank had. I can almost guarrantee that had he not spent the early 1930s in a continous drunken orgy with the most beatuful virgins in Europe...

Yeah, but those dudes were snobs, virgins or not. Wonder how many ended up on the Butt-Wall?

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2002, 10:28:48 AM »
Originally posted by Slayer
It will be my main ride. .............

It may not be the best flying plane but you can bet if u run into one it will have one of the arenas best sticks at the controls.

Slayer

modest eh? :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Grendel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.compart.fi/icebreakers
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2002, 11:11:23 AM »
In history it was mainly a mediocre fighter put against better performing enemies, but usually there was many of them - and mainly no other planes that could be used. So for example it was used pretty much in Africa. And became mincemeat against the 109s. Brave men who flew them, anyway.

Finnish ace Hans Wind's opinion about P-40s:

"In addition to aforementioned planes the enemy uses American types, such as the Tomahawk and Kittyhawk, which are not as good as the LA-5. They are about on a par with LaGG-3 but more vulnerable."

But P-40 is definitely a FAMOUS fighter, and one of the WW2 symbols. It was there when nothing else was, and did its duty. Don't think it will do miracles, though :)

Hint: by my WarBirds experience a P-40 driver can succeed even against bad odds when he knows his bird. The roll rate does miracles!

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2002, 11:49:42 AM »
"It may not be the best flying plane but you can bet if u run into one it will have one of the arenas best sticks at the controls. "

Or I'll be flyin' it.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2002, 12:00:42 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding
I don't think it was the primary Russian fighter, Aub. Maybe primary lend-lease Russian fighter. I'm pretty sure the old I- bi/monoplanes and LaGG-3s made up the most numbers.

It's a welcome addition though, if only for its scenario versatility.

We sent thousands of p-39s to russia.  "The P-39N and P-39Q were built for the Russian air force under the Lend-Lease military assistance program, and 4,773 Airacobras were delivered to Russia by American and Russian ferry pilots"  (http://www.warbirdalley.com/p39.htm)

Back on topic...

P-40's will see some MA use after the honeymoon period - however if Warbirds use is of any guide many will prefer the p-51 model due to similar armamnet and far superiour climb rates.  

In games past experience P-40 did not like to climb, but did very well nose down.  How HTC will model P-40 who knows?  So a bit early for anyone to pass judgement I would say.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2002, 12:08:01 PM »
Originally posted by Replicant
The Soviets received quite a few P40s from Great Britain's lendlease agreement with the USA.

UK Lend-lease

Of an original order for 471 Tomahawk IIB fighters, AK100 - AK500. Of these 21 were lost at sea en route to Britain. Of the remaining Tomahawks "125 were shipped to Russia and 9 transferred to the RCAF and one to the Turkish Air Force. 36 were diverted to China for use by the 'Flying Tigers'. Britain released a total of 100 Tomahawks to the AVG which adopted the famous shark's teeth nose emblem originating with the RAF which used the markings on its Tomahawks in North Africa during 1940."

For the record, the AVG aircraft were "released" long before they were actually built. The Brits accepted the Kittyhawk I in exchange. When Curtiss actually built the AVG fighters, they utilized excess part stocks left over from the P-40B run. This resulted in unique aircraft, different from any other model. Most historians look at the serial numbers and assume that these fighters were built as Tomahawk IIb types. They are wrong. AVG aircraft were not plumbed for external fuel tanks, nor did they have the hardpoint and shackles. Additionally, the AVG aircraft were fitted with externally sealed fuel tanks (as opposed to internally sealed as specified in the British contract). This is why the AVG aircraft carry their own -3 designator.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Slayer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2002, 09:45:33 PM »
not modist just know a couple that have been wating for this plane.