Author Topic: Is Il-2 fake?  (Read 455 times)

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
Is Il-2 fake?
« on: April 21, 2001, 08:45:00 PM »
Ive posted this to some other forums also. Maybe this post doesent belong to here, but i know theres lots of Il-2 fans here in AH. This all is IMHO so dont take my word too seriously (well you dont take that even if id wanted to.. )

I did some investigation on screenshots and previews of Il-2 and ive came to conclusion, that Il-2 has never been and never will exist (well, never say never). The reason, why somebody would do something like that is either financial (ripping bluebyte off) or marketing technique for other bluebytes games. Just to mention, Bluebyte just released Settlers 4 and Darkspace is coming soon.
Im not here to start any flamewars either..

If we take close look at the pictures, which have cities visible, we will see the ultimate amount of details showed. Eg. the trees are shown to unlimited distances and same for the buildings. In some screenshots there is very fake looking amount of detail boundaries. Eg. the left railroad track is blended in quite close distance, but the aside one isnt blended at any distances. Buildings textures look sharp to unlimited distance.

If we take in consideration, that this game is still in Alpha stage, that kind amount of details would put even Cray supercomputer to its knees. On my computer, rendering such a nice smooth 3d scene would take few minutes for one single frame. The cockpit details are maximum from first screenshot to last. If we compare WWiionline screenshots with Il-2, the online seems to be from stone-age and with such a huge developer team (in wwiionline), hows that possible? Even tho Russians are famous of their talented hackers, i bet best of them are already working in american developing companies.

Theres also cheesy picture of downed plane exploding and mens running away from it. If we look at the planeparts blown away from the plane, they seem to have "floor effect" and they have stopped their motion after theyre hit the deck. That is very very unusual and ive never seen that one before in any games ive seen.

Theres also lots of other stuff and if this isnt enough, i can tell you more.

So..Please all consider this stuff for a while and add the reality, that the beta itself was supposed to be released 1.5 months ago. Now theyre claiming, that the beta will still take some (undefined) time to be released.
The previews are based only on marketing hypes and screenshots, so theyre as accurate, as any of you could make up.

If we add all this together, theres only one word describing it..roadkill.

Ill promise to eat my words if somebody can show even a piece of acceptable evidence, that Il-2 game actually exists. I actually would be delighted, since i like flightsims very much and i regurlaly fly AH h2h mode.

Offline DA98

• Copper Member
Is Il-2 fake?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2001, 09:44:00 PM »
Well, I had been elected for the beta test, and I know some guys who own a pre-beta version for reviewing, so I suppose that IL-2 is real  

[This message has been edited by DA98 (edited 04-21-2001).]

Offline Gunslayer

• Zinc Member
Is Il-2 fake?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2001, 09:49:00 PM »
I betcha this guy also believes that the U.S. never landed on the moon   He's been watching too much x-files.

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
Is Il-2 fake?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2001, 09:50:00 PM »
The demo of Il-2 at E3 last year was reported by Sickboy (head of Targetware) to be pretty damn good. Sick asked Oleg about the shallowness of the FM at that time and Oleg admitted he was right, and said that would be much improved by release time.

Just my opinion, but I think it's for real.

Hope this helps,

Mike (wulfie)

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
Is Il-2 fake?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2001, 10:10:00 PM »
Eh, I'm pretty sure IL-2 actually exists (I was rejected for the Beta however :-(.

But it's not an unreasonable question to ask, given the infamous history of you-know-what "designed" by you-know-who years ago that was supposed to be the ultimate WWII flight sim :-)

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
Is Il-2 fake?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2001, 10:27:00 PM »
Yes i got 10 posts immediately in IL-2 forum about this issue and im happy to know, that i was wrong (the pre-beta testers eg.). Sometimes you just are too sceptical about stuff..=)

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
Is Il-2 fake?
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2001, 11:53:00 PM »
We didn't land on the moon?!?!?!?!

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
Is Il-2 fake?
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2001, 12:07:00 AM »
Gunslayer you beat me to it.

Drex

Offline Dmitry

• Copper Member
Is Il-2 fake?
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2001, 12:53:00 AM »
Gunslayer said:

I betcha this guy also believes that the U.S. never landed on the moon
lol dont tell me you beleive that myth that US did land on the moon  

------------------
Best regards
Dmitry aka vfGhosty

Offline Gunslayer

• Zinc Member
Is Il-2 fake?
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2001, 01:20:00 AM »
Ha ha. Ya guys, here in the states they had a special on the history channel about how there is a group of poeple that think we faked the moon landing. Most of the stuff was hokey for sure. But there were a few things that were kinda weird. One was that the geography in there area of pictures from the surface of the moon supposedly matches the pictures of the area around area 51 from some russian spy satellite. Also in some of the footage you can see the flag move as if there is wind, only there is no wind on the moon. They also took pictures from the various moon landing sights that were supposed to be different places, and when they superimposed them they appeared to be the same place. The freakiest thing are the pictures though. If you have seen any of the pictures, you know there are funny black crosses all over them. That was etched into the lens of the camera. Only in some of the pictures the crosses go behind things, which of course is impossible. Which leads them to believe that the pictures were doctored. Anyway, I am not saying i believe it, but it was an interesting show. You never know what the old U.S. of A. government is gonna do  

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Is Il-2 fake?
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2001, 02:24:00 AM »
lololololol

it takes BASIC knowlege of phisics to understand that a flag will move in a vacuum.

------------------
Nethawk:Does your squad openly shoot down chutes?
Fatty:At times, but only if they want to.
Nethawk:Theyre scum
Fatty:cc they are scum

Fatty:as am I

Fat DRUNK Bastards

MrSiD

Is Il-2 fake?
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2001, 04:48:00 AM »
Ok, I flunked in physics (well, almost..)

What causes the flag to move in the vacuum Animal?

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Is Il-2 fake?
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2001, 04:56:00 AM »
 Neil Armstrong farted and the dissipating gasses made the flag move.

Simple as that!

------------------
Glasses---I may have 4 eyes ,but you only have one wing.
Besser tot als rot

Greg 'wmutt' Cook

Is Il-2 fake?
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2001, 05:15:00 AM »
I watched that show with some interest, being both a skeptic and having some deep roots in science.  I can find a lot of reasons to discount just about everything that they put up as evidence that it was faked.
The flag movement was reactions from the astronauts moving the post.
The surface of the moon doesn't vary that much in appearance from the ridge of one crater to another, and if I'm not mistaken some of the missions landed near the work areas of other missions.  This and the fact that the makers of the show might also be mistaken as to what video came from what mission.
As to the black cross effect.  The images we that are released for us have been touched up by computer processing.  It is very possible that some altering of the black reference lines would be dropped by the computer when overlapping a brighter area.  So in essence the photo are doctored to an extent, but not to hide anything, just to sharpen the images.
But I digress, I think we have gotten far enough off the off topic discussion    
BTW  I used to work for the government but I don't now; I am a man; but I rarely wear black.  Now if you would be so kind as to look at this flashy light here, all will be explained...

wmutt
returning soon to an arena near you

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Is Il-2 fake?
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2001, 12:26:00 PM »
The lunar module landing bases are still on the moon. Observatories have verfied this