Author Topic: got a new jstick today hitech was right  (Read 2077 times)

-towd_

got a new jstick today hitech was right
« on: November 04, 1999, 02:56:00 AM »
apperently some ms sidewinders are flawed or wear out quick (mine was 4 months old) i went to a mall store (starts with walden)and for 39 bucks got the interact cyclone and started whoopin some arse. i guess when they start to go the digitals spike like mad.

not one "dont move your controls so fast" message all nite.

so beware it is almost chrismas and there are other that microsoft options.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 1999, 03:48:00 AM »
TOWD,
I'm curious, does that stick have twist capability?  I'm happy with my SW Pre Pro right now, but just in case ...

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

ingame: Raz

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 1999, 05:55:00 AM »
You all M$ worshippers  

TM rocks. Just recently I called it the Spikemaster. Apparently it started to spike on pitch axis after some 50% deflection, and it was bad, plane flew weird, departed etc. And all this after some 10 months of use.

Spraying the pots with fluid did not help, only delayed further spiking.

Well, took the pots out and opened them. You would never believe how much dirt was in there ! Dirt, mixed with the cleaner fluid, it seems. After clening it, I again consider TM the best out there. As if it was provided by RLM itself.

So, TM users, if you still get spikes after cleaning the pots with spray fluid, you should try to open the pots and clean them properly. Though you need some tools for it too.

And so famous Stick Stirring message ? Never got any, only when I wanted to see what it looks like.

------------------
Hristo,
I/JG 51

Jagdgeschwader 51  Mölders

[This message has been edited by Hristo (edited 11-04-1999).]

-towd_

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 1999, 06:16:00 AM »
yes leo it does  have a twist rudder. it seems very much like a sidewinder in look except it has 2 throttles and 12 buttons i cant believe its 39 bucks it also has a usb adapter.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 1999, 07:32:00 AM »
TOWD,
Cool!  Thanks for the info.

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

ingame: Raz

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 1999, 08:14:00 AM »

CH Products also makes a stick with a twist handle.

--Westy

funked

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 1999, 09:51:00 AM »
Let's see, SW Pre Pro works great with every sim.  Then AH comes a long and it doesn't work.  So we blame M$?  

dawg

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 1999, 10:14:00 AM »
Hey Funked;

A little off topic here, please excuse.
Do you work for Woodward Govoner by chance?
My brother is an enginerd there. I hope not because if you do I'm going to have to start behaving myself around here.  

Offline SC-GreyBeard

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/oneshot/main.htm
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 1999, 10:15:00 AM »
My only problem with the MS "sidewinder" Precision Pro, USB had been a constant need to tighten the spring for tension on the X & Y axis. A bit afraid to open the Twist portion though, but the dampers and deadband adjustments in AH have done the trick for me.

As to setting it up, I never had any problems, and simply use the SWA editor to set things up. Didn't do a thing in the keymapping department in AH. About every week or so I recal in both the MS pro software, and in AH.  Works great,, perhaps I've been lucky..

------------------
GreyBeard
Flight Commander, Aces High
Skeleton Crew

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 1999, 02:08:00 PM »
MS Sidewinders....

These things dont just go bad.  IMO, they are manufactured to higher quality standards and use better components than either TM or CH
(Ive owned both TM and CH thanks, but no thanks).

And yes, my sidewinders have worked flawlessly with every sim application.

I am however feeling shortchanged with the compatability of the AcesHigh viewsystem.

All I want is to be able to use sticksets toggled just like WBs.

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 1999, 02:49:00 PM »
 My Sidewinder Pro died after 6 mos of very minimal use. the twist action just stopped.
 It was never dropped. Never banged. They do go bad.

I had a squeak of a time getting Microsoft to honor the warranty. They would not soley because the stick was not in production any more and they refused to repair it. It took three mos of phone calls and persistant
escalations to supervisors and managers to get them to finally do something and what they did was send me a Precision Pro as a replacement. Which is an inferior stick because it is 'digital' only.
 But by then I'd gone and bought all CH Pro products. I've never looked back.
The Precision Pro became a Christmas present for my brother and than died in 2 mos.
 I'll never buy MickeyShaft sticks again.

--Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 11-04-1999).]

Werewolf

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 1999, 04:50:00 PM »
Westy, brought my broken MS FF to my dealer after 5 month of use (some FF stuff broke) and had no problem getting my money back.
Ok i waited for 3 weeks, but then Microsoft told them it was beyond repair and the dealer gave me my money back.
Now I am looking for a more sturdy FF stick.
Anyone knows the Logitech FF Stick? The mechanism works with steel cables. Anyone tested it? (Alas it is quite huge)

Werewo

TT

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 1999, 05:23:00 PM »
Yeager. HT said that because of the way the view system was coded it would not be possible to install a toggel system.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 1999, 06:10:00 PM »
Westy it sounds like the ones who screwed you was the place you bought the stick. My MS Force Feed stick went bad in 6 months, I took it back to the local computer store where I bought it(not a chain store) and said "this stick doesn't work", they took it in the back room for ten minutes, to test it and came back with a loaner til my NEW one came in a few days later.

As for digital sticks being "inferior" to analogs where did you deduct that from? maybe the fact that rudder pedals won't work with them? That isn't true any more. There is a German company that makes some Hi Quality pedals that are compatible with all MS sticks.

Also calibration is a non issue with my MS stick. Can't remember the last time I calibrated it. From what I remembered from an old CH piece of sh*t I had, along with my old CH rudder pedals, you gotta calibrate practically every time ya log on, maybe they've improved some since then, (1 year ago) I dunno.

Werewolf I had a Logitech wingman force for a few weeks. They are good sticks, except I couldn't get the trim force stiff enough for my taste in WB's, plus it only has 8 or 10 buttons on it. My MS stick has 16 programmable buttons (using the shift key)

Offline fats

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 1999, 06:16:00 PM »
Hmm, I have a CH FlightStick Pro ( the old kind: grey base and black stick w/ trigger, 3 buttons and a hat ) and the Pro rudder pedals and the only problem is a twitchy center with the stick.

That's why when you're in a fight w/ me fly _straight_ doing some 0.5 to 1.5G maneuvers and I will never be able to hit you.

//fats