Author Topic: The Frustration that is AH  (Read 1697 times)

HaHa

The Frustration that is AH
« on: January 27, 2000, 04:07:00 PM »
I've been flying online sims for years now. CK first and then WB. I have never been nearly as frustrated EVER in those games as I am often in AH.

- are the quality of pilots better?
- do these people somehow have an edge ? (better stick, faster comp. what??
- is my joystick breaking down?

All I know is around 70% of the time I dive on somebody (with E), they start turning I either 1) follow them - then they somehow twist on me and accelerate fast enough to catch me!! (I'm in a c.205 they in a bf109/f4u whatever) 2) go past them and then climb, they then proceed to outclimb me and get me on my turn back 3) OR I turn, get a bead on them then the blackouts start happening and I can't see anything

Now if somebodies got E on me I lose every single time.. no matter what move I do (unless a split S), they always get the deflection shot on me.. what the @#%# is happening here??

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2000, 04:48:00 PM »
Just a guess...

I don't mean to be a flight instructor here, so bear with me if you know this already:

If a con is diving on me, I will dive shallow to gain a little E. When he gets 1.2 I will pull up in a 2-3G climb. If the enemy seems to be pulling lead I pull a little tighter until he is forced into overshoot or levels out. The moment that happens I roll my cockpit toward the enemy, pull back, roll upright for the shot. You would be surprised how easy this is to do.

Having too much smash on a bounce can be used against you if you aren't using it right.  

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2000, 04:53:00 PM »
HaHA,

If its any consolation, I know exactly how you feel.  

It is my opinion that the average caliber of pilot here is higher than in any single other sim.  Why?  Because the cream of the crop from all the other places is concentrating here.  As I've told my squadmates:  This is where the big dawgs are gathering.

I was flying agianst a hog pilot today and he was simply awsome.  I've always considered the hawg a real pig.  But this guys made the thing sing.  Win, lose, or draw it made you just want to jump up out of your chair and applaude.  Sad to say I didn't catch his handle or take the time to complement him online because there were other cons to address.

Its like playing high school ball.  In high school, its easy to end up being a big fish in a small pond.  Then you go to college and see that there all the other big fish have gathered from their local ponds and you realize its a whole different ball game.

The bad news is that its going to get worse.  At least now you get the occational casual player who wanders in and you can pound mercilessly until he runs back to quake shreeking in horror.  Once it goes pay, every swinging stick in there is going to be a natural born killer.  All the freebies will be gone.

The good news is thats the way you'd want it right?  I mean I want to fight the biggest, badest MoFo's I can find.  Otherwise, when ever you were whacking some dweeb, you'd always be wondering if you could have hacked it in the show.  And its got to be making you a better pilot right?  No easy on your ego, but do you want to strut or do you want to start from scratch and learn how to be a fighter pilot?  If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere. ;>

Grab you a ball and glove, and welcome to the bigs.

Regards,
Wab

[This message has been edited by AKWabbit (edited 01-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by AKWabbit (edited 01-27-2000).]
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2000, 04:58:00 PM »
HaHa,

What Dolomite said above is one of the better defenses to a hi alt bounce.  It's a good way to turn a defensive move into an offensive move  

As for being outclimbed, of course some planes climb better than others. Another factor is how you start your climb.  If you pull too many G's in the initial climb you'll burn off E faster.  If your angle is too steep you'll burn E faster.   This could be a problem.  Or the con could have more speed than you think also.

So many factors to instantly calculate   hehehehe I love it. I cant even do regular geometry, but I can cut precise angles across moving circles on the fly. Gotta love this hobby  

udie

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2000, 05:31:00 PM »
"Once it goes pay, every swinging stick in there is going to be a natural born killer."

Wabbit; you sure hit THAT nail square on the head. Never have I seen so MANY superb pilots in one place as I have here.

Ever hear of the term "Ace Factor"? Consider that most of the guys in here have more 'combat time' under the guns of an enemy than ANYBODY in WWII..

Scary concept..

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2000, 05:37:00 PM »
"Once it goes pay, every swinging stick in there is going to be a natural born killer. All the freebies will be gone."

Um. Not really guys. See.....

I'll be in there.

-BigFatTarget

funked

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2000, 05:41:00 PM »
The maneuvering after blackout is a bit annoying.  If you're having trouble, remember to zoom when in doubt.  If they make a move and you think you might miss, call off the pass before you overshoot and give them a shot.  Zoom, get over them, and try again.  Eventually you'll figure out their move (most guys repeat too much) or you'll get lucky.  

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2000, 06:45:00 PM »
>Ever hear of the term "Ace Factor"?
>Consider that most of the guys in here have
>more 'combat time' under the guns of an
>enemy than ANYBODY in WWII..
>Scary concept..

Heheh.

Gives me a stiff carrot just thinking about all the great fights to come.  And maybe I'll even win one of them. :>

LoL,
Wab

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2000, 07:33:00 PM »
Rgr that Wab.. Just one at a time.. the rest just mess with my frame rates.  

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

TT

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2000, 08:19:00 PM »
  Welcome to the shark pond. See, they are all happy to see you. There smiling. See all the teeth

[This message has been edited by TT (edited 01-27-2000).]

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2000, 09:08:00 PM »
HaHa;

I might suggest that you always attack your target from below, following a dive.   This is called a "Swoop Dive" attack.

After diving in, level off slightly below the targets altitude.  Pull into a guns firing pass using a low G pull up.

Try not to get caught with your nose pointed down and the NME's nose pointed up or level.  Unless you have tons of smash or you guns solution is very good.

"Roll into a rolling scissor, not away"

"Turn to Kill, not to Engage"

My 2 cents.  Good Luck!  

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2000, 09:43:00 PM »
Westy comment about his flying was to lead us into a false sense of security.  

We have all seen you fly, and have seen your name in the kill zone of the scroll.

Nice try Westy but it won't work here!    

Yes it is true "things are nasty here"

Once the squads start getting more organized and fly together more often it is going to get down right nastier!

I don't watch a boomim and zoomin F4U too long,  I get out of Dodge!  Same with the P-51.  I seen a N1K1 maneuver my pants off at low alt once!  There are C205 masters that make your eyes bleed.  A finely piloted 109 can cause you nightmares!  I know, I've had them! Laying in bed later, wondering what the hell happened!

This is a no toejamter!  Once taking off from a semi vulched field.  One ack up!  I was leveling out, two P-51s went zooming over my head at about 400 MPH. Quickly caught up to Sourkrau and dusted him with a short burst and then zoomed up. They were right next to each other.  It was beautiful! Sour told me later he never knew what hit him! True Masters!

Oh Yea, Baby!!!!

------------------
Damn Ghostrider!  This bogey is all over me!!

[This message has been edited by Swager (edited 01-27-2000).]
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Thorns

• Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/computerpilot/
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2000, 09:43:00 PM »
Isn't this place grand!!  I've had so many good dogfights.....woohoo!  I love it!!

Thorns_Musketeer
CO Musketeer Escadrille

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2000, 10:20:00 PM »
What everyone has said!!!

------------------
Member of the Flying Elvis's...AH's most elite parachute team...

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2000, 10:31:00 PM »
What Dolomite said. Also, bear in mind that 109 can use rudder to slice into your yoyo turns. I think you have seen it at work against your 205.