Author Topic: HO's  (Read 681 times)

Offline Otterpop

• Zinc Member
HO's
« on: April 08, 2006, 06:21:24 AM »
Can someone clarify this for me?  I was told early on not to fire in head on situations, that being "proper ediquette"  However, I think I have found two pilots in the last few outings who actually follow this.  So, what's the right thing to do?  Guns a blazing or not?   Thanks, Otter
Fish should be called  Flish

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
Re: HO's
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 06:30:57 AM »
Originally posted by Otterpop
Can someone clarify this for me?  I was told early on not to fire in head on situations, that being "proper ediquette"  However, I think I have found two pilots in the last few outings who actually follow this.  So, what's the right thing to do?  Guns a blazing or not?   Thanks, Otter

really, it's up to you... but the experienced pilots dont. it's a waste of ammo, and you could use a head to head merge better by going for the vertical, instead of using the time to line up a ho shot.

some people do do it, infact, quite a lot, but most of the time they're skilless dweebs that think they're a good pilot because they get lots of kills that way:rolleyes:

seriously, up to you, but it's best not to, and in time, and with experience you will be able to see that the ho shot is a waste of a good opportunity, especially if the other guy is trying to ho you, because usually, he'll be a very poor pilot. going up and over on him is enough to get you on a hotard's 6 most of the time:aok

Offline Otterpop

• Zinc Member
HO's
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 06:34:58 AM »
OK, thanks - I haven't been firing, so I make the right choice.  :D

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
HO's
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 06:44:56 AM »
Originally posted by Otterpop
OK, thanks - I haven't been firing, so I make the right choice.  :D

hjehe, cool. best tactic for a guy hoing you is to push the stick forward, nose down into a dive, and then as he's about to pass you, pull up and behind him, in a half vertical loop. then just chase him down! it usually stops you from getting hit, and gives you a could place and energy state to chase him from:aok

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
HO's
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 08:14:00 AM »
Depends on the situation.

If I'm out numbered, or at a serious alt disadvantage I'll take any shot offered including the HO.

One thing to remember, a LOT of guys scream about HO shots that were NOT Head on.

A true Head On shot is where both you & the other guy play chicken.
Nose to nose from 3k out guns firing. What is NOT a HO is a forward quarter shot in the middle of a turn fight.

Poo is quite correct, in most cases your better off setting up for a good merge. Duck his HO shot, & Immelman UP & get behind him for a good kill.

The final answer however is that anything that keeps you alive, and makes him dead works. He can yell & scream about it all he likes. Your still flying and he's in the tower.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
HO's
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 08:06:47 PM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
Depends on the situation.

If I'm out numbered, or at a serious alt disadvantage I'll take any shot offered including the HO.

One thing to remember, a LOT of guys scream about HO shots that were NOT Head on.

A true Head On shot is where both you & the other guy play chicken.
Nose to nose from 3k out guns firing. What is NOT a HO is a forward quarter shot in the middle of a turn fight.

Poo is quite correct, in most cases your better off setting up for a good merge. Duck his HO shot, & Immelman UP & get behind him for a good kill.

The final answer however is that anything that keeps you alive, and makes him dead works. He can yell & scream about it all he likes. Your still flying and he's in the tower.

Yup, what Ghost said. His last paragraph is what I live(and die) by. I try to avoid the HO because if I can shoot him, he can shoot me too. But basically if I can get a shot I take it, especially when outnumbered.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
HO's
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 10:01:02 PM »
yes the only HO shot i avoid is when we set up form like 3k out then i start actng like a ho'er then i dive and get on da 6 bada bing bada boom kill but in a turnfight u to are mergeing in turns take it for you will most likely be the best shots u will get.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
HO's
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 09:36:40 AM »
Very well put by Ghosth.  Ediquette with your enemy will get you killed in the MA, so don't worry about that.  If your opponent doesn't fire on the merge, it dosen't mean he is polite, it means he has already stated manovering for position to set up a kill shot on you.  If you find an enemy in front of your guns, pull the trigger :)

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Coronado

• Nickel Member
HO's
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 02:31:56 PM »
Also, you may want to be aware of the typical HO planes,ie, LA7,Typhoon,N1k, chances are..99 times out of 100(lmfao, who am i kidding,,,100 percent) of these planes will HO you. It's true i try to fly by in an attempt to actually dogfight only to be Ho'd first pass, but it's a judgement call on your behalf, if you fly with "honor", be prepared to spend alot of time in the tower.      that is all.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
HO's
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 04:14:25 PM »
Its got nothing to do with ediquette its all about your own survivability...

A HO is at best a 50-50 chance of survival... personally I dont like that kind of odds... if you actually fly and fight him with ACMs your chance of winning will be more like 70-30.. much better odds imho...

Opening with a HO shot screws up everything about your merge and opening move....

Tex

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
HO's
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 06:38:27 PM »
Check out Yucca's film "Too Big Too Heavy" in the general discussion...  Note the Spitfire that comes in guns blazing for a front shot while he's already mixed up with numerous cons.

Just try not to be that guy and I don't think you'll get TOO many people screaming at you :D
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline MAXIMMELMAN

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
HO's
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 02:20:27 AM »
I know this is a game but if you read about actual fighter pilots, they are pretty aggressive and don't care a bit about manners they will kill you any chance they get, usually the quicker the better, there is know such thing as being a coward in combat there is such a thing as being alive. So if you are outnumbered run, flying a bnz plane don't get in there and dogfight either. If you shoot me in the face i don't get upset and complain i'm just like oh well tough luck. I read somewhere that Maj Bong would run and had no problem with it, alot of fighter pilots are sneaky little ba@#$ they will kill you anyway, anytime, and won't care a bit about it next sunday in bible school. I agree you'll probably find that Ho'ing is probably a bad shot and won't take it, usually you get killed too which is not the point. Most will blast you anyway,anytime and be back on the ground having a beer by the time there're sorting out your body parts. If you see me in the game do whatever you have to do, i promise i won't get mad, i would have done it too.

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
HO's
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 04:02:36 AM »
Opening with a HO shot screws up everything about your merge and opening move....

What Tex said, Otter.

When you see someone who's merging with you setting up a HO, you know you can outmaneuver the guy and quickly get on his 6... most of the HOers (who don't really know about A2A combat) will lose any positional advantage they may have or get to kill you with that first shot: you just have to avoid it (it's not difficult) and get in the better position to end the fight (how it ends, then, it's up to you).

I mostly avoid HO, but, if I have to, I take that shot! Just don't usually merge looking for a HO, it's a bad habit, IMHO.
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Otterpop

• Zinc Member
HO's
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 12:20:33 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input.  I guess it's best to  ****can the ediquette.  I would rather try to get a 6 o'c shot out of the merge if I could.  Unless I'm in a 110 :D  Great advice, and well taken  Otterpop