Author Topic: The Dora, La7 and the other new rides....  (Read 656 times)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
The Dora, La7 and the other new rides....
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2001, 01:20:00 PM »
Guys... there seems to be a misconception that the Yak-9T is the same as the Yak-9U but with the big cannon. Nope thats not what we got. That is the Yak-9UT, and what we expected to get btw.

What we got is the Yak-9T.

Basically the Yak-9T is a Spit V with a BFG 37mm cannon.

I don't think I would rate it "very good" versus the P-51D, since unless the Pony driver gets very stupid, the Yak-9T can not do anything but try to pull into the attack and get the lucky HO ping O Death from the BFG.

Aside from the "wow" factor of the cannon, this plane would rate even lower than the Fw109F8. It is sloooooooowwwwww !!!!

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline fluffy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2001, 04:26:00 PM »
I too have had my faith in the P51-D strengthened after match-ups with Doras, La-7s, etc.  I have also flown and been impressed by the Dora, 51-B, and 190F8. I
didn't see that the Ta 152 was much good for
anything other than very long high altitude patrols (it seems to have an enormous amount
of fuel capacity).  The p51-B has better camo
than the D (obviously), and as in WB, people
tend to ignore it at their risk.

The biggest surprise for me was how well the 190F8, considering its' intended role as an attack craft.

handled.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2001, 04:29:00 PM »
verm its the contemporary of the spit 9, not V. below 10k feet they perform similarly (spit 9 and yakt)

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2001, 05:00:00 PM »
The LA-7 kill ratio is currently less than 1:1; reports of its uberness were greatly exaggerated :-)

Note the Dora is quite a bit over 1:1 and climbing; saw a lot of stupid turnfighting with it the first 3-4 days of the release which is now much reduced.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2001, 12:17:00 AM »
Heh torgo my guesses are that the dweebs have migrated to the LA-7 to some extent, after asking "wot, my fiter cannot turn properly?" after flying the D9  .

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"Live to pull, pull to live"

Offline DoKtor GonZo

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com/DoK/
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2001, 12:21:00 PM »
It was the lure of the La-7 (plus the vapid idiocy of the WB WW2 arena) that led me to try Aces High for real. I've wanted the La-7 for a decade - having spent countless years in Air Warrior fighting uber-Spits with no real counter. The La-7 could spank the Spit with ease. Plus, I'm half-Russian.

The La-7 is simply a fun, fun ride. For low to medium altitude work, not too far from base, it's the best tool for the job. But it's also fine for scrambling to snag 25K Lanc's and B17's ... 3 20mm are 3 20mm, afterall.

The D9 is what I like for everything else (being an old Fw driver anyway). Fast, strong, respectable firepower, good ammo load, drop tank available for long patrols. This is the first D9 FM I've driven that *feels* like what I imagined a D9 should feel like. No idea if its right or wrong, but it feels right.

P51B is nice ... I always like to see early war planes in the mix for scenario use. Early-war events tend to turn work out better for some reason - maybe since the planes all have limitations people have to work together better to be effective.

Ain't bothered with the perk planes yet since I only been here a week. I have the plane I always wanted, so I'm happy. Now if we can just get a Sturmovik ... I'd really be happy.

-DoK

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2001, 12:26:00 PM »
Dok from WB? You wouldn't know me, but if you are that guy, do you plan on staying here? I remember your webpage, it was really cool.
-SW

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2001, 12:28:00 PM »

Heh torgo my guesses are that the dweebs have migrated to the LA-7 to some extent, after asking "wot, my fiter cannot turn properly?" after flying the D9

I'll post some charts when I get home.  I think this may be an incorrect assumption.

BTW, most of the D9s I have killed have not been turning.  They've been trying to BnZ.  They dive into a furball and climb out.. always suprised that the guy that didn't dive in behind them was waiting for them to do just that.  Actually, the only guys I've seen turning the 190D have been the LW "experten".  I think you are slightly confused as to whome needs to get used to what

AKDejaVu

Offline DoKtor GonZo

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com/DoK/
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2001, 01:53:00 PM »
There is only one true "DoK."

I did a major revamping of my sites last summer. Used to be spread across 3 ISP's, now all in one place. Added a few new things too (if you have a high speed line, check out "Dirty Deeds Done With Sheep"). URL is http://www.gonzoville.com/DoK/.

I'm thinking I'll stay a while. Starting to look at the terrain editor. There's a 3-country terrain concept I've had for 10 years which maybe I can try out.

-DoK

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2001, 02:04:00 PM »
Excellent page Dok.. really nice.

I've heard the Dirty Deeds done with Sheep (Dirty Deeds and their done with sheep) before on Baltimore's 98Rock. They played it during the KML morning show.. it was hilarious!!!

Thanks for the link to your page!
-SW