Author Topic: POLL: How many of us would want a historical arena?  (Read 1573 times)

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
POLL: How many of us would want a historical arena?
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2001, 12:45:00 PM »
yup

danish

Offline Fokker

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.inbusiness.no
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2001, 01:27:00 PM »
By now you all know I am of this.

There has been some arguments of not having enough planes and players for such a settup. A quick research tells me that those arguments are not relevant.

AH today have more players online than WB at most times. Still there are always players in both arenas in WB. More than enough for good gameplay.

I play AH at many different times. I see that online numbers vary between 70-240 approximately. There are most players online during US playing hours. Less when the US population sleeps.

I find it actually more fun to play when the numbers are low. Then you can get some realy nice fights. Engaged with an enemy you can often fight for minutes without other planes interfering.

At the populated time of MA you can hardly make a single turn with another fighter before several others comes in to break up the fun.

The choise of planes is adequate. It would be nice to see CHog on one side and Niki on the other   Should secure that you have enough players on each side.

Instead of a rolling plane set from early to late war we could have two sets: "Early to Mid War" and "Mid War to Late War". The current plane set should cater for this.

The LW has a limitation in buff and jabo planes. However, with the Arado they still have more than in WB. The Ju88 is a quite capable bomber and have the advantage of good capacity for fleet attacks with torpedoes. A jabo plane like the 110 would give LW a better balance.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2001, 02:19:00 PM »

Originally posted by Fokker:
The choise of planes is adequate. It would be nice to see CHog on one side and Niki on the other   Should secure that you have enough players on each side.

*grins and laughs*  Too funny!

Anyways, I'd vote for a HA, definitely with some sort of fixed/rolling plane set.  I can't remember who said it, but it was something like only 20 CHogs actually flew in WWII (sorry if I messed up the actual number.)  So having that plane (or other rarely used rides) available for a HA doesn't make sense to me (from a historical viewpoint.  I'm all for the fly what you want, when you want, how you want philosophy in the MA.)

proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2001, 05:17:00 PM »
yes HA plz

------------------
Hazed
3./JG2

Offline Daniko

• Zinc Member
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2001, 07:18:00 PM »
YES!, . .i hate the MA.

i'd be happy with next to no icons and limited lives too.

------------------
Daniko the madfish
3./JG2

".... Suddenly he stopped in the middle of the room and stood there staring.  His voice was blurred, and his behavior that of  a completely abnormal person.  He spoke in staccato phrases; "If there should be war, then I shall build U-boats, build U-boats, U-boats, U-boats, U-boats."  His voice became more indistinct and finally one could not follow him at all.  Then he pulled himself together, raised his voice as though addressing a large audience and shrieked: " I shall build airplanes, build airplanes, airplanes, airplanes, and I shall annihilate my enemies."  He seemed more like a phantom from a storybook than a real person.  I stared at him in amazement and turned to see how Goering was reacting, but he did not turn a hair...."  {Dahlerus, Birger; August 26th, 1939}

Offline wizzer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2001, 08:01:00 PM »
Hate to be the dead fish, but no. Saw the transformation in WB to the HA. Which was unsuccessful in my opinion. At best, it separates pilots from the MA and will lessen the attendance in that arena. As we all know, "nobody in MA, nobody wants to PLAY!"

I think Lazs (the old one) has delineated the basic reason we all play. Fly and Kill. It's pretty much that basic. Or in the wingless club, Drive and Kill. None the less, it's primal basic instincts that drive all of us to this silly game. Rules here kind of revolve around the fluidity of the moment. Some good and some bad.

Because many people in AH like to fly and excel in certain AC. It's kind of hard to think that people with lives want to, or have time to master this arena. Not to mention have fun doing it.

Having a dedicated arena with HA plane sets will do no more than start a pissing contest about where the best pilots should fly. The answer is neither. Keep the MA as the focal point and make whatever changes need to be done to satisfy as many pilots as possible.

Will bet many AHers feel this way.

My thoughts

wizzer

Offline illo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2001, 04:33:00 AM »

I think Lazs (the old one) has delineated the basic reason we all play. Fly and Kill. It's pretty much that basic. Or in the wingless club, Drive and Kill. None the less, it's primal basic instincts that drive all of us to this silly game. Rules here kind of revolve around the fluidity of the moment. Some good and some bad.

I dont care so much about "fly and kill".

I get more fun out of:

-Keeping my virtual pilot alive.
-Keeping my wingies and leader alive.
-Flying succesfull sorties with good teamwork.

Scoring kills is nice bonus, but not necessary.

This kind of flying is more revarding and fun for me than heading to nearest furball to rack some kills.

Not everyone of us thinks like Lazs

You and Lazs can go to MA and have fun your way, I'll go somewhere else. Be it HA or maybe some other sim.

lazs

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2001, 08:25:00 AM »
I think it allways boils down to what is wanted out of a sim.  I believe that i, and a lot of others are perenial newbies... we have lives that are busy and full.  we get on to get away from hard work and organization not to add to it.

The learning curve is steep in flight sims... maybe steeper than any other games.   New people are daunted by the complexity.  The old vets and people who... well, who get very into sims... master everything by spending countless hours on line they come within a hairbreadths of being burned out and demand even more complexity to keep them interested...

Thats all fine but there is only a small core of these guys... I don't really care about these flabby vets in any case.  Truth be known.... most are just looking for an edge...an advantage, anyway....I enjoy the newbie a lot more.  i wnat new blood and lots of it.   I want a game that has perfectly modeled FM's and damage etc. but that has a lot of action and variety and parity.  

Those are the things that attract me and those are the things that bring in new guys.  HA's and allied vs axis and complex, punitive strat are all the bane of a fun flight sim for all but a core of dedicated types.
lazs

Offline NHFoxtro

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2001, 08:45:00 AM »
   I vote yes!!   No icons and kill shooter off, Thats about as realistic as we can get.

Offline Li`l Snorkey

• Zinc Member
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2001, 09:53:00 AM »
I vote yes.
I think auto-takeoff & combat trim are of no consequence..if u don't like it turn it off.

A reduced icon setting should be fun.
I would enjoy the stress of trying to make out a silouhete for freindly or enemy.

Fighters with camo should enjoy the advantages of blending in with the ground as it was.

Snorkey

Offline Twist

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
I'm in...
Razer

Hellcat FG

"They porked the Hellcat? Why did they do that?"

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2001, 05:01:00 PM »
Oh, hell yeah.  Problem is I never liked the idea of splitting the customer base.  It makes for not enough people in any one arena to suit me.  Would rather see 1 arena roll into historic mode 1 week out of the month.

CRASH

Originally posted by MrSiD:
Let's do some research here..

All those who would prefer flying in a historic arena with historic settings, rolling planeset, no combat trim, no autotakeoff..

Just as close to the real thing that it gets..

Give your voice here. Maybe (just maybe) there would be enough players to play in both arenas side by side..

I'm with this group.

Offline Fokker

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.inbusiness.no
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2001, 07:47:00 PM »
Lazs, your arguments are the best I have seen yet for having two arenas like in WB. The Combat Arena for you and your likes, and a WW2 aena for me and my likes   There are more vets than you seems to think, and newbies become vets after awhile.

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2001, 08:05:00 PM »
I'll say yes to this one as well. I agree AH does not yet have anywhere near the customer base to support more than 1 arena full time but handing over one of the arenas one night a week would probably work. I find that once the numbers in the MA hit 200+ I seem to experience far more "Warp & Lag" issues. Sharing the load at peak times might benefit both arenas in the long term.

TTFN
snafu

Taur

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2001, 09:44:00 AM »
Yes to HA. In regards to it being "way to complex" is a bunch of nonsense. The idea that it caders to some very "small minority of vets", that is also nonsense. I get a kick out of the furor that *some* "MA" types kick up at the idea of giving us something other than THEIR preffered brand of play.

[This message has been edited by Taur (edited 04-26-2001).]