Author Topic: POLL: How many of us would want a historical arena?  (Read 1571 times)

MrSiD

POLL: How many of us would want a historical arena?
« on: April 23, 2001, 01:19:00 PM »
Let's do some research here..

All those who would prefer flying in a historic arena with historic settings, rolling planeset, no combat trim, no autotakeoff..

Just as close to the real thing that it gets..

Give your voice here. Maybe (just maybe) there would be enough players to play in both arenas side by side..

I'm with this group.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2001, 01:28:00 PM »
I flew mostly in the WB HA,and I can't wait
until AH gets one.

Snapshots, CheckSix's and special events are no substitute for an arena that will be up all the time - many times I can't make events due to scheduling difficulties.

I hope the community is approaching critical mass where there are enough of us to support it.  Why leave the SEA emtpy except for  special events?  Through up a user-designed terrain, an approprite planeset mix for the terrain and let's go!

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2001, 01:41:00 PM »
I would think that if HTC has the resources available to them to do so, (Net Bandwidth and Server Bandwidth) without any added cost to them for implementation, it would be a good 'test' to see if it's what the comunity needs/wants. However, It may be a matter of extra cost to HTC and may not be economicaly sound to perform such a 'test' without guaranteed return. As it stands now, there are considerations when flying events in the special arenas, considerations of launch times, and max num of players which would suggest that HTC does not currently have a surplus of said bandwidth.

It would be nice to see though.

Offline illo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2001, 01:43:00 PM »
Yes, for HA!  

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2001, 01:44:00 PM »
I like the idea of an HA, but I can't think of a single way to execute it without some kind of monitors in place.  WBs seems to be coming close, but I can't help but notice the large ammount of debate over its implimentation.

I would forgoe an HA for a semi-constantly CM monitored arena that operates on a squad based concept.  A squad shows up at a scheduled time, recieves their flight plan and procedes to target.  Things can be created to make it either a challenge or a cakewalk.. the squad never knows for sure.  All they really know is what type of aircraft the squad flies (all the same planes).  Now that would be historical.

AKDejaVu

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2001, 01:49:00 PM »
I vote yes to HA but have no interest in disabling CT or auto takeoff. You don't like them, fine, just disable them on your system.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

lazs

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2001, 01:58:00 PM »
I personaly would probly not fly in a boring same ol same ol varietyless HA but have nothing against having a seperate arena for those who would like it.
lazs

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2001, 02:01:00 PM »
An arena with historical (rolling perk?) planesets and more demanding icons would be worth a try, imho.

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline anRky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.domogarden.com
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2001, 02:05:00 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a Historical Arena, and I'd probably fly there, but I'm not crazy about the idea.  Other than the planeset, I just don't see anything about a HA that would be 'historical', unless the whole arena design were vastly different than what we have now.

What I'd rather see would be more evening events similar to AW's Warnights, where for a few hours you'd get a certain planeset, limited (but more than one) lives, and maybe some objectives.  (Is this what Check-Six events are like?  I've never gotten to attend one.)  This way, there'd always be something different and interesting going on, not just stale old arena play with a limited planeset.  It would also give more people a chance to fly early/mid war planes against their contemporaries without having to create another arena, or change the MA in any way.

Then again, it would be a loooot of work for somebody.

anRky

Offline buhdman

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2001, 02:16:00 PM »
Me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me,
 me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me,
 me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me,
 me, and my squad.

------------------
Walt (buhdman) Barrow
(formerly lt-buhd-lite)
The Buccaneers - "Return with Honor"
home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2001, 02:51:00 PM »
me, though I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2001, 03:04:00 PM »
I like the idea, but it doesn't seem to me that we have enough players yet to fill two arenas.

Medium-peak times (i.e. the time Europeans get in from work) will be back to 1.03 days (when I first started playing) - with just a couple of dozen players on. I can't see how that can be a good thing.

How will it be implemented? Allies vs Axis over historical maps? How can you get the Western and Eastern fronts on one map without having a ridiculous scale multiplier?

Or will the Russian or Japanese or Italian planeset be dumped for part of a tour?

What a great idea. Not.

I'd rather see more special events, with more historical match-ups (with no 'stand-ins') with a mission editor containing more features (bug free) over historical terrains.

[This message has been edited by Dowding (edited 04-23-2001).]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline rickod

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2001, 03:19:00 PM »
I personally would do whatever it takes to get a Historical arena goin and keep it filled
as I spent alot of time in the wb ah arena as well
so yeah bring it on

------------------
Skrbrofr

CO Hells Angels
3rd squad A.V.G

Offline FabryKA6

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2001, 03:22:00 PM »
Yes i want HA but we need also MA .

funked

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2001, 03:59:00 PM »
IMHO AH does not have a sufficient planeset to make an interesting HA.  

The only historical setup for which they have modelled most of the correct planes is 1944-45 defense of the Reich.  Even there we are missing some very important planes, and in any case I find that kind of fighting quite tedious.

If they would concentrate on one time period and theater and model ALL the required planes then we could do something.  But with the "scatterbrain" plane choices so far we can't do much.