Author Topic: Public THANK YOU to Whels  (Read 177 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Public THANK YOU to Whels
« on: March 14, 2001, 09:40:00 AM »
Phew, what a gut wrencher late last night!

In case you missed the game last night, the Knights have been the whipping boy for the past 2 days.  At 7pm EST we had most of the  right side of the map.  By midnight, we were down to 7 or 8 bases.

So, we are DESPERATELY trying to slow the bish down.  Several bombers are enroute to bases all over the place, and I took an Arado up from 52 (far right corner of map) and slowly climbed and orbited to 20k, to assist Tachel in bombing 49.  Once at altitude, I made my run and overtook Tachel in his B17...this worked good, his bombs would hit just a few moments after mine, so the timing was ok.  Bombs away..and 49 is less a Fighter Hangar.  Now the long ride home, we drop the nose a tad, accelerate to 400mph and make for A48.  Just as I'm leveling, a 190 is 5k away at my 9oclock.  Im not REALLY in danger, so I simply nose down a bit more and accelerate beyond him, so I no longer have an icon for him.

Well, the catch with this map is that the entire Northeast corner is full of large hills/mountains.  I've alread bleed off some altitude for speed, and Im down to 13k.  Terrain is at about 8k.  I can really go lower.  

As I approach 48 to land, that dot is STILL behind me (he's gotta be a Dora).  I can visualize what's gonna happen if I try to slow this beast to land, he'll vulch me on final and get 70 perkies.  So I scream/help for SOMEONE to roll from 48 and nail this guy.  No one answers.  I mean, I'm dragging this guy over an airbase and I cant lure anyone to assist me.  On I go to our next airbase, 47, and STILL dragging this guy with me.  Fuel is dropping below 25% and I'm running out of options.  Finally, Whels, who just landed his Arado a few moments before, offers to assist.  I'm already over 47 and he motions to fly south, to 39.  That's the edge of my fuel/range, but its that or die.  Whels rolls from 39, and I cut power to 60% and scream his way.  Radar shows a red dot directly on my 6 the whole time, then fades away.  Is my six clear?

10 miles north of a39, I descend to 4000 ft and see Whels departing 39.  I make the usual long, sweeping turns to slow the Arado and land at 39.  Fuel is a tad above E.  Just made it.

I message Whels and ask if he got the bandit, because Im wondering if I made a big deal over a bandit that just gave up and augered in.  Nope, he was out there, and they got him.

So to Whels, THANK YOU.  As does my bullet-hole free Arado!

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Aces High Arena handle:  BD5Pilot
 http://bd5.checksix.net
BD-5 "T" (TurboProp) 90% complete, first flight in 2001 (We hope!)

Offline Servo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2001, 02:04:00 PM »
Whels is a great guy! So is the whole MOL squad though.

Not that I'm bias...

Servo

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2001, 02:17:00 PM »
Servo is a Yak Dweeb, but I'll clear his 6 again when MOL eventually rotates around to Rooks again.

Cobra

Offline llbm_MOL

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2001, 12:34:00 PM »
37mm or how I learned to luv a Yak9T......

Nothing like a one shot kill heheheh or giving out a 37mm enema hehehehe

LLB OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!