Author Topic: Stick Stirring?  (Read 714 times)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Stick Stirring?
« on: November 04, 1999, 05:48:00 PM »
I folks, as some of you may know I'm relitively new to AH and have only about 10 minutes stick time in WB total so I'm still getting the hang of things and the jargon.  What's this stick stirring that I hear about all the time on the forums, I've gathered that it's some sort of cheat or otherwise nasty thing that is generally considered bad form to try and use to ones benefit in the arena but that's about it.  If anyone can clear this up I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Nevermind... I just came arcoss a post that explained it.  hehe  

[This message has been edited by Soulyss (edited 11-04-1999).]
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

val

Stick Stirring?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 1999, 11:24:00 AM »
SSing is when you yank the stick around or stomp the rudder around in an attempt to fool the software.

Your computer sends positional updates across the internet to the HOST which then sends them on to the other planes near you. If you send confusing data the HOST has to try to interpret it to place your plane in a point in space, in a certain attitude. When players SS they will flip-flop on other players screens in all sorts of crazy positions as the HOST tries to follow thier inputs.

It is a way of 'gaming the game' It takes advantage of a limitaion in the speed of transmissions across the internet. Because a plastic joystick is not connected to a real airplane, it is a way of taking advantage of the fact that you can throw the stick around much faster than a real pilot could.

When a SSer gets into a bad spot (ie an enemy saddles them up for a shot), instead of using real-world Air Combat Manuevoring they start to churn butter to make it impossible to hit them.

AH is the first multi-player WWII sim to address this issue with code that punishes this type of action. Hopefully all the other sims will use a similar system someday.

val

------------------
Scott (val) Valline
Dweebs of Death

Brethon

Stick Stirring?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 1999, 04:26:00 PM »
Heh, I was wondering the exact same theing  

------------------
"Do unto others....and get your head blown off." -Brethon

Hans

Stick Stirring?
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 1999, 05:18:00 PM »
Stick stirrers.....SS...

I like that analogy.  Keep it guys.  From now on everyone referr to stick stirrers as the infamous SS.

Hans.