Author Topic: A whine? The sneak attack  (Read 279 times)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
A whine? The sneak attack
« on: May 19, 2002, 01:49:28 AM »
Damn I hate the sneak attacks being used these days!!

2-3 heavy fighters come in below dar, flatten town, goon follows, lands at the town and drops troops all done in about 5 minutes.

u bish and rooks used them well tonight!!<$>

Was hard WORK to try and keep up.  Got to be too much work in the end for this guy.

Now I kinda wish we could go back to putting the maproom on the base! +)

Seriously tho, i don't have a problem with the 'under dar' stuff, i just think the towns make capture almost too easy.  Of all the attempts I saw tonight at least 60-75% of them worked (against knights)
This resulted in a rally of the troops to retake the base, meanwhile another sneak is already in progress keeping us off balance and never able to get  any offence going.  
Completely legit attack strategy!!

Rewards teamplay on offence in a big way, makes defense a b#tch!  By the time an attack is detected its hard to get on the ground and move to the base under attack in time (read impossible if u don't auger)

Perhaps manned ack and the VH at the town would help in these regards....

What y'all think? been on the defence end of this tactic?
I imagine on offence this tactic might be fun to a point (tho you don't fight anything but AI)

SKurj

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2002, 02:19:03 AM »
At least we know Udie will NEVER blow up the civilan town, so that's one less guy to worry about. :)

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2002, 02:35:36 AM »
NO one likes to play defense in this game.  The number of players willing to respond to an attack or check out a blinking base are few and far between.
JG11

Vater

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Re: A whine? The sneak attack
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2002, 02:41:44 AM »
Originally posted by SKurj
Damn I hate the sneak attacks being used these days!!

2-3 heavy fighters come in below dar, flatten town, goon follows, lands at the town and drops troops all done in about 5 minutes.

SKurj

It wasn't 2-3 hvy fighters, Skurj - it was: 1) 2 goons, 2) 4 110G2s and 3) 4-6 light fighters.

We captured 12, 20, 16, and 20 again, all in the span of 90 minues or so.

curly

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2002, 05:03:05 AM »
well, the best method is to foil the incoming sneak attack.  take out the goon that comes.  Also, on the first sign of the enemy (ie base flashing) some one better get up there.

On this note, I kinda wish there was a difference on between capturing bases by the size of the base, because the size of the town is the same regardless of the size of the base.  Make it a little bit more challenging to take a large field.

Offline PrillerJ

• Zinc Member
FDutchmn
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2002, 05:10:43 AM »
FDutchmn *S* that is a great Idea with Larger town for larger base. Also it would be cool I the HQ could change too Capital with a large airstrip, Radar, large town around Capital.. (would be cool with the new bomber system) IMHO

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2002, 10:13:08 AM »
Curly...

Don't think you guys are the only ones doing it +)

the rooks did it with 2 110's a 38 and a goon a couple of times at A8 +)

SKurj

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2002, 10:24:47 AM »
NO one likes to play defense in this game. The number of players willing to respond to an attack or check out a blinking base are few and far

Why do some guys have such a hard time figuring out that defense is one of the more useless and futile things you can try to do in this game?

Who takes bases?  Offensive players.

Who wins resets?  Offensive players.

Can a determined offense be stopped by players on defense?  NO.

How can you stop another team from taking one of your bases?  ATTACK the field they are coming from!

Offense works, offense wins.  

Defense will cause you to lose your fields, and eventually you will be reset against.  Offense against you will pick away at your ability to defend, it will take your fue, take your hangars.  You will lose the ability to defend, and they will get your base.  When you attack them, you take away thier ability to attack you.

Its time for some to start learning.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2002, 10:28:21 AM »
Dago,  I find your reply offensive.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2002, 10:37:20 AM »
stop sounding so defensive, popeye.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline whels

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2002, 11:02:42 AM »
Originally posted by FDutchmn
well, the best method is to foil the incoming sneak attack.  take out the goon that comes.  Also, on the first sign of the enemy (ie base flashing) some one better get up there.

On this note, I kinda wish there was a difference on between capturing bases by the size of the base, because the size of the town is the same regardless of the size of the base.  Make it a little bit more challenging to take a large field.

capturing a air field, by just killin a nearbye town  only, and not even hurting the base is kinda rediculously easy.

field capture should require the base to be taken down at least 50%.

or, have town and field captureable seperate. take the field but not town, field stays inoperable due to no supply runs, till u take the town.

whels

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2002, 12:25:36 PM »
Been petitioning the Aces High AK's for a name change: Arabian Ninja's. Curly said we'd have to spell it Arabian Kninja's. Maybe Milkrunning Ninja's would be more appropriate. :D
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2002, 12:49:01 PM »
hey don't forget the rowdy rebels we did a few of those sneaking bases :D oh and i totally agree with mr 205 about different size towns for the different size bases makes alot of sense..great idea let's hope theyre listening and "make it so"

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2002, 01:34:48 PM »
It would be nice if the town was not the only target requiring destruction for the capture to suceed. Maybe set it to needing the base being destroyed or at least a significant number of targets at the airfield to be destroyed before a capture can be completed.

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2002, 01:38:13 PM »
See what I mean.
JG11

Vater