Author Topic: furballs ok still... they just don't last.  (Read 590 times)

Offline anRky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.domogarden.com
furballs ok still... they just don't last.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2001, 01:42:00 PM »
banana wrote:
---------------------------------------------
...if you reduce or eliminate the effect that bombing has on fighter hangers, etc. then what reason would there be to fly a bomber in the MA?
------------------------------------------
If the only targets bombers have are fighter hangers, then I'd say that the bombers need better targets.  I think it'd get pretty boring flying around only being able to hit one kind of target.

-----------------------------------------
That's precisely the point of having fighter hangers that can be killed. If you don't want the strat potatos to ruin your game, then grab more than 5k of alt and kill them.
-----------------------------------------

You're saying that when the other guys come in and ruin the game I like to play, if I quit playing my game and started playing their game I could be playing my game.

Explain to me how that works again...

Apache wrote:
-------------------------------------------
It is my contention that the strat guys draw the fights. I mean, there are fields all over the map one can fly around but I would look kinda stupid furballin' with myself. Where does one go?
-------------------------------------------

To Furball Island!!!!!!!!!!

Or that's where one would go for a good furball, if it only existed.

anRky
-Ih8ubb
'Get rid of the bucket!'

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2001, 01:57:00 PM »
Just to follow up on Apaches post, first sweep we did lousy, with 11 squaddies, only 6 kills to 6 deaths, 2nd sortie was better, 12 kills 0 deaths...it was funny catching those goon hunters inbetween our field and yours...they were hunting a goon that wasn't there! LOL!

EDIT:"they were hunting a goon that wasn't there! LOL!"....AND BECAME THE HUNTED!

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 03-15-2001).]

lazs

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2001, 02:29:00 PM »
what's a "goon" and why would anyone hunt one?

Look, I'm sure it was fun for you guys but when I was around it there just wasn't much happening.   It allways looked like there were way too many friendlies for the the amount of enemies I seen.   That's fine once in a while but I kinda like a more "frenzied" atmosphere.  

Look, All I'm saying is that it seems that lately... For whatever reason.... furballs get shut down allmost as soon as they form.   I believe that a lot of guys enjoy furballs and that the way too easy strat is not being very fair to the furballers.   I also can't see the challenge to the strat guys.  

maybe apache is right ahd that it takes the strat guys to stir things up.   I never think of it that way however and most of the guys I talk to online usually just say things like "looks like a good fight at XXX"   Unfortunately tho, lately.... they are also saying "yeah but you can't take off from XXX" or you can only have 25% fuel at XXX" followed by "you can take off from XXX but by the time you get to the fight it'l be over" and "oh well had some good ones... thanks guys, loggin".

Like I said... I'm the perennial dweeb/newbie.  As such, I don't think it would be such a bad thing for the game and HTC income if there were a place where new guys (and reprobates like myself) could find a fight a little easier and faster.   Not asking to have it created at anyone elses expense.... just to let it happen and not make it so easy to shut down.
lazs

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2001, 02:37:00 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I am coming around to a furball island. That or 3 or so fields per country with indestructo facilities? Would have to be semi-close together tho, I guess. I just wonder if anyone would be there? Why whould they be unless they were defending the field? Why would you defend an indestructable field anyway? I think I'm talking myself outta this one.
hmmm, ramblings of the incomprehensible.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2001, 02:59:00 PM »
Thats funny lazs, furballs never do last (for me at least) but they are fun fun fun  

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2001, 03:07:00 PM »
That is why the 3 middle islands in lake uterus are for. Take off them, meet in the middle of the lake and furball your butt off.

But hey, it seems not enough players are willing to do it, so you look for a furball against the strat players which are determined to close out your FH's to end before said furball so the field can be closed.

I think it would be better if the curent map removed the 3 middle islands and put 3 small bases in one small island in the middle of the lake and let Lazs and furball buddies fight it out.

I really dont get what lazs is whining about. You want people to stop blowing your FH's? What?

lazs

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2001, 03:52:00 PM »
tac... it's quite simple really... blow up the lean to's called "fighter hangers"  all you want but just don't make that the thing that shuts down all fighter operations.   It should be just a trifle more difficult to shut down all fighter operations at an entire airfield than to simply drop a bomb or two...

There are plenty of great places to furball right now on the map.   Places are not the problem.  The problem is that they become unuasable much too easily.   Make sense yet?
lazs

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2001, 03:58:00 PM »
Ok Lazs, point well taken, maybe you have a leg to stand on.

What I take umbrage to is your insinuation that every buff driver is out to "ruin the furballs". That's an over-generalization. First of all, do you have the stats to back that claim up? Do you know the percentages of bombs that are dropped on FH's as opposed to, say, HQ radar?

Secondly, a big ol Chog or two can destroy your furball(FH) just as easily(if not easier) than a buff driver. And the Chog driver doesn't take the 30 mintues to get to altitude, either.

Now, I'm not a dedicated buff driver, and I spent most of my time in fighters, but I do believe bombers should have a role in the MA. Destroying the buff driver's game to enhance the furballers' game isn't the answer.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2001, 05:26:00 PM »
Perhaps allowing x amount of fighters spawn, after the FH's have been bombed, would satisfy both the furballers and the strat guys.

Just realized wulfie said it better. http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum1/HTML/008708.html

[This message has been edited by Thrawn (edited 03-15-2001).]

SwampRat

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2001, 05:46:00 PM »
lazs has a good point.  I'm in the middle ground.  Love a good strat game and find nothing more pleasing than a good sweaty furball.  lazs mention of the hero's who shutdown furballs is a good one, hardly worthy of a personal attack on him.  I too get a little irritated when there's an obvious and BIG furball going on and notice a single lanc fly over and shut it down.  Yes, they really probably should stop and think about it, pointless to try and convince anyone of that though.  Heck I don't at all mind haveing a field shut down when thats the object.  It's when nobody is bombing either side and there's tons of fighters mixing it up...thats when the strat dinks (like me) should hold off on shutting down the fields, maybe join in the fun.

Swamp

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2001, 06:24:00 PM »
What makes the game fun is a combination of action and a reason for its existance.

If fields change hands rapidly and both the attackers and defenders have a blast while it is going on, everybody wins.

This stuff where 15 fighters end up milling around over an enemy airfield with nothing to do doesn't cut it.  Clearly if these customers wanted to be in bombers or C-47s they would be doing that and not looking in vain for a fight.

I think a lot more fields (i.e. more targets for the strat guys) which are a lot closer together (so Fighters can make it to the fight quickly without taking off under a vulch umbrella) might be part of the answer.  Also it would be great if the fields fell easily and rapidly.  Rapid changes of ownership lead to frequent seesaw battles where both sides can attack and defend.  Maybe give grunts the ability to kill ack and capture fields all by themselves.  Maybe, you should be able to capture a field by totally flattening it and then landing an aircraft.  Well thought out multiple field capture methods and fields which fall easier would mean that a bunch of fighters would have something useful to do at an undefended enemy airfield instead of just milling around in boredom and then logging.

Frankly, this thing about starving resources out (fighter sorties, radar, fuel or whatever) is just really bad for play.  The game will be a lot more attractive if both the conditions of aggressive successful advance and desperate defense are the most action filled and enjoyable events in the game.

One of the best flight sim events I ever recall was a couple of years ago when the MOL attacked one of our fields in brand X.  Our squad detected their attack just in time and rolled to resist them.  After a short bitter fight they barely took the field.  We immediately counterattacked and after a protracted fight, we took it back.  They counterattacked and after another protracted fight, they took it again.  The fights were incredible but none of this would have happened in the current version of AH because a couple of  bombs on some fighter hangers would have hamstrung one side or the other  .

This is an air combat simulation (primarily).  Since most of us are in here to simulate fighter combat, it should be damn hard to shut down another countries capacity to fight.  The ease with which the fighting ability of a country can be locally destroyed entirely undercuts the entire reason for existence of this game.

Hooligan

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2001, 06:59:00 PM »
I just want to say the whole "tone" of the game this tour has seemingly changed.  Don't know if it's the map, the perk airplanes or what.  It's just different and I don't think I like it - furballs or no furballs.

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2001, 07:11:00 PM »
I just want to say the whole "tone" of the game this tour has seemingly changed. Don't know if it's the map, the perk airplanes or what. It's just different and I don't think I like it - furballs or no furballs.

HMMM... funny thing is I see it the exact opposite, I'm having more fun than ever.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2001, 09:29:00 PM »
I think AH is perfect

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2001, 10:45:00 PM »
Another vote for furball island, or fighter town, or what ever you want to call it.

And Laz has made a teling point with:

If there is a place to take off from then I won't (and never have) scream on channel one for everyone to "quick we need furballers at XXXX" I won't need to. furballers don't need to "force" anyone to play their game.

I guess the reason the strat guys are so vehemently against a furball arena is that they have a sneaking suspicion that they'll be flying on their own.

A strat friendly solution may be to have fighters and bombers at different bases; and harden hangers to the point where they need to be egged, not straffed. It's buffs that affect the strat, not fighters. Buffs should (if we're talking realism) be concentrating on strategic targets, not tactical ones.