Author Topic: Something stupid I did .  (Read 131 times)

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
Something stupid I did .
« on: May 26, 2002, 07:20:11 AM »
Very bingo, I decide to head back to the cv . I'm at 5k and half a grid from the carrier and the needle of the fuel gauge is about 2mm from empty . Realizing I'm not going to have enough fuel I turn off the engine and feather the prop and auto trim to desend at about 1.25 thousand fpm, I'll save the last drops of fuel for landing . When I get to about 500 feet I level out, turn on the engine, turn up the rpm and turn on the nitro and cross my fingers and wait for the gas tank to go dry . Hoping my last few seconds of fuel will give me enough speed to bring it home . About 20 seconds pass and the engine is still turning, hmm.. I look down at the fuel guage and it says A-LW .

Doh ! I totally forgot that the f4u1 has wing tanks !

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Something stupid I did .
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2002, 07:44:35 AM »
Well Samm, did you make it?  LOL :D

Les

BTW, that's not so stupid as my dropping cargo on a V base instead of troops.  Forgot to check what I was hauling.:)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2002, 07:47:06 AM by Leslie »

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
Something stupid I did .
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2002, 11:09:26 AM »
Is there someplace that tell you how many tanks, and in what order they burn depending on what a/c your in ???

Done the same thing, also have done the opposite, thinkin I had another tank and listening to wind over injun territory :(

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
Something stupid I did .
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2002, 01:00:50 PM »
Poop look at the fuel guage and hit SHIFT F  this will let you cycle manually though all you tanks that have fuel. Also note that if the A- is next to the tank name, that means the fuel shifterthingy is on auto and that it will manage your fuel for you until you run 100% dry. Also another note, the fuel manager does not always drain the tanks right on some fighters, so sometimes it's best to do it manually on some planes. Hope that helps. :)
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
Something stupid I did .
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2002, 03:24:06 PM »
Thanks beef man.

Question though. If I'm on automatic, is the fuel gauge reading TOTAL fuel ???

In other words when it reads 1/4, when that 1/4 runs out, is that it ??? Or does it switch to another tank.

Done manual and auto, most of the time with a drop tank.

Thanks

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Something stupid I did .
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2002, 03:28:40 PM »
The guage only shows what is available for the current tank.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com