Author Topic: Terrain shimmer question  (Read 244 times)

Offline Esme

• Copper Member
Terrain shimmer question
« on: June 04, 2002, 07:30:37 AM »
Are there any articles/is there any info on what causes the shimmering effect with some textures? This is particularly noticable with the sea in some terrains, where it looks like the water at a large  distance is actually moving, albeit unrealistically, but also occurs with some land terrains - eg. the Kuriles. Reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if there is a trade off between one thing and another, like maybe the greater the texture detail the greater the shimmer effect, or something like that.

Esme

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Terrain shimmer question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2002, 11:03:00 AM »
The effect you are referring to is called texture aliasing.  Its a result of down sampling a texture with high contrast in hue or intensity.  Textures that are high contrast with lots of sharp recognizable structure are going to be more susceptible to this effect.  Textures that are more blurry, more monochromatic, whose detail is more uniformly distributed are going to be less susceptible.

Its going to end up being a trade off  between how much detail you want in your textures vs. how much shimmer you’re willing to live with.  

We had a lot of problems with that in the desert terrain.  Desert terrains (except for the dunes) are particularly difficult to deal with because they usually by their nature contain a lot of contrast in both hue and areas of light and shadow.  Consider the following textures:

The first texture is very monochromatic.  It doesn’t have much discernable detail.  What detail there is is distributed relatively uniformly with no recognizable structure.  This texture will not exhibit much aliasing.

The other texture has a lot of contract in both hue and intensity between the dark green cactus and lighter tan sand.  The detail is also not as uniformly distributed.  This texture is much more susceptible to aliasing.  

Generally, texture aliasing is addressed by the use of “mip-mapping”  where a down sampled and averaged version of the texture is used to texture the polys at a distance.  This can reduce but not completely remove the artifact.  

You’ll have to weigh the trade off between contrast and detail in your texture vs. artifacts from texture aliasing to find a balance you can life with.

Regards,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Esme

• Copper Member
Terrain shimmer question
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2002, 01:19:23 AM »
Thank you! :-)

Esme