Author Topic: getting killed  (Read 318 times)

Offline sirch

• Zinc Member
getting killed
« on: June 04, 2002, 07:43:57 AM »
Thanks ALL, you have been a big help. Lately when I'm up starting to engage a fight, I get killed without even knowing it happened. Only way I find out is, I read about it on the screen LOL. Most of the time tho, I can hear it happen (the hit that is), or my plane will get uncontrollable, Or I saw my opponent firing at me. Last night I dove on this guy and was trying to line up for a crossing shot as I came down on him and missed. As I pulled up for another pass, I find out I was killed. Only after I read the message did I notice there was a problem with my plane. My puter has a geoforce 2 card, half gig of ram, 1.8 processor with a cable connection so I figure that is not the problem. Anybody else having this problem?:confused:

Offline xHaMmeRx

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.netaces.org
getting killed
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2002, 08:55:09 AM »
Sirch,

Are you saying you think you're still flying but there's a message on the text buffer that says you're dead?  If so, there is definately a problem somewhere.  

If you're lining up for a shot somewhere and BOOM you're dead, there's another plane somewhere! ;)

First thing to do is start filming your flights.  After this happens, go back and watch the film from an exterior view and see if you can find something else shooting at you.  If there is absolutely nothing else around, your connection is solid, send the film to HTC and ask them to take a look at it.

HaMmeR
netAces.org - Tactics, Info, and More!

=GHOSTS=....You Will Believe!

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
getting killed
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2002, 12:08:34 PM »
Sirch:

Hammer asks a good question.  Are you still flying when you get the message?  That would be strange.  I'm guessing you're probably getting the "x shot you down" message after your plane is toast and you bail out.  Most likely there are other planes out there or it was triple-A that got you.

Besides filming your fights suggested by Hammer, here are some other general things that you might find useful that I've learned from the school of hard knocks ;).

Develop Situational Awareness:
In other words, never stop looking around and assessing the situation.  This takes some time to build in terms of sizing up your situation and the myriad of variables you have to process to do so.  The first and most important thing that I learned about SA is never stop looking around, especially your rear quarter.  If you're engaged with other enemy around you can count on someone else trying to line you up.

Avoid Target Fixation:
This is the bane of all pilots no matter how new or experienced you are.  Infact I find that the harder I am working a bogey who is slippery, the easier it is for me to get fixated.  If I'm fixated then I'm not looking for the guy who is getting a bead on me.

Take Off From a Non-Vulched Field
If you haven't noticed when one of your fields is under heavy attack there are usually a bunch of "vultures" circling just above ready to swoop down to pounce the hapless prey trying to take off.  This art form is called "Vulching" ;).  When a field is under heavy attack I'll roll from a nearby field instead and enter the fight from that direction vs. directly from the field under attack.  The aircraft I fly usually don't stand a chance under vulched circumstances.

Glad that you've joined the community.  There's a lot to learn but a lot to enjoy as well.  Don't let the jerks or loud mouths get to you and spoil your fun- there's always a few of them in the barrell.  Keep at it and you'll soon be one the people that others whine about flying your uber plane doing impossible things after you outfly them, fill them full of lead, and send them careening to earth.  ;)

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Manxer

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.4wing.obviousonline.com
getting killed
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2002, 12:25:35 PM »
Hey Sirch. You might be ripping your wings off when you pull out of a high speed dive. It takes some getting used to, but I'm guessing that might be what's happening. I didn't start playing here too long ago, and had it happen to me often in the beginning. It does get better.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
getting killed
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2002, 01:25:45 PM »
Make sure you're constantly looking behind you every few seconds.  It only takes a moment for a high plane to dive and kill you, especially if you don't see him coming.

Offline sirch

• Zinc Member
getting killed
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2002, 01:43:39 PM »
Thanks guys, I know about SA, I flew in AW for 4 years. I always knew when I was blown away. Here not always but at least half the time when I get killed, I had no clue it happened no sounds no nothing I just go straight in to terra firma. Then when I checked the message board it says you have been killed and also by whom. I am just now learning to use the film viewer. Do I have to press alt and r everytime to record, or will it do this auto for me. When i access the film viewer from the pop up after quit, I see the button for film so I press this, and it had 1 film in there of me and my 38, but I didnt record that one myself, and it wasn't one of me getting killed.

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
getting killed
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2002, 02:56:56 PM »
ALT+R toggles film on and off.  When it is rolling you will see a little R in the upper left hand of your screen indicating you are recording.

Films will be saved in you HTC\AcesHigh\films directory.  They will be saved filmxxx.ahf and increment up for each ALT+R session you turn on and off.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
getting killed
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2002, 05:20:14 PM »
My guess is you oversped, tore your wings off, and gave someone a proximity kill.

Offline sourkraut

• Copper Member
      • http://www.riverrunne.com
getting killed
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2002, 12:02:25 PM »
Sounds like kill shooter :D  Are those targets green? ;)

Sour