Author Topic: Pyro- Some P-47 stuff  (Read 679 times)

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2002, 02:36:48 AM »
LOLOL, Wilbuz, he means he got U, I just quoted U, :D

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2002, 03:36:40 AM »
In some planes, locked tailwheel meant the tailwheel was locked to the rudder, so it moved with the rudder.  E.g. P-51.

On most others a locked tailwheel meant that the tailwheel could not steer at all.

The problem is that it's hard to tell which plane has which type of lock, even if you have the pilot's manuals.

I'm pretty sure all planes in AH are modeled with the P-51-style tailwheel.

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2002, 09:27:57 AM »
Hey all.. found the info on this..subject of wing points for the D-11

The P-47D-6-RE to P-47D-11-RE and P-47G-10-CU to 15-CU production blocks had only ventral shackles, which were stressed to accommodate one 500-lb bomb, but subsequent production blocks were fitted with underwing pylons and stronger wings which permitted them to carry two 1000-lb bombs, three 500-lb bombs or a combination of bombs and drop tanks. Either six or eight machine guns could be carried, and maximum ammunition capacity was 425 rpg. However with the full ordinance load, ammunition capacity was reduced to 267 rpg.

At about this time, a number of Thunderbolts suffered mysterious engine failures during missions over the Continent that could not be ascribed to enemy action. It was eventually discovered that the additional weight of the bombs and drop-tanks added so much weight to the aircraft that the Thunderbolt was able to build up excessively-high speeds during bombing attacks. During the recovery from these high-speed dives, g-forces got so high that a surge or vapor lock was produced in the fuel lines which the fuel pump was unable to overcome.

So yes it was done but sometimes had negitve side to it.. Hell I'll still take it..

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2002, 10:59:35 AM »
_Angels Zeor_ was a great book...i wish more guys from the 9th's fighter-bomber squads would write their autobiographies. I read another one called _P47 Pilots_ (dont have the author's name available because I am@work now
¦¬þ                                                                  ).  The ground pounders seem to go into great detail about some thing.  You'll never read a book by some 20 kill ace that describes the effect of
a high G pullout on unselltled intestines...

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2002, 10:39:41 PM »
P-47 Pilots "The Fighter-Bomber Boys", another great book. Author was Tom Glenn.

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2002, 04:34:18 AM »
Ja, thats the book.....great read...those jabos write great boox

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2002, 04:52:02 AM »
...now that we're somewhat off topic on this thread, anyone know of books by combatants in less well covered theaters? i found "Swatstika in the Gunsight" by a Soviet pilot, & i have one by a guy who flew 109s for Isreal in the Isreali independence war, but I've never seen any books written by any Italian fighter pilots, nor Finns, nor Yugoslavs, Hungarians, Norwegians, Chinese, Brasilian....did India have fighter pilots? I know there were RAF squads in India (Ginger Lacey was there i think)...and does anyone know if Sailor Malan wrote an autobiography?