Author Topic: Pyro- Some P-47 stuff  (Read 678 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« on: June 04, 2002, 06:44:33 PM »
Pyro, I found this in reading a book ( ANGELS ZERO authored by WW2 P-47 pilot, Robert Brulle. Brulle flew with the  366th FG and flew late war P-47 variants (D25's-D30's). He says that when HVAR's were carried, they could not fire their guns due to the likelyhood of the spent cases damaging the rocket fire wires. Would this be an easy implementation?

Also he states that the P-47 had a lockable tail wheel, basically negating the negative impact of engive torque on takeoff. Quote--" recalling the difficulty torque caused me on my first P-40 takeoff, I was determined not to repeat the experience (the author was all over the runway trying to keep the P-40 straight). I needn't have worried. The P-47's tail wheel lock kept the AC rolling straight down the runway during takeoff."

Would it be possible to implemnent these?  Would it be undesirable from a gameplay standpoint?
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2002, 11:39:01 PM »
Maybe we should add some weight to
:D

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2002, 11:54:49 PM »
in the same update, lets take the titanium out of the P-38 fuselage:D

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2002, 05:32:55 AM »
in the same update, lets take the titanium out of the P-38 fuselage

Hell yeah!
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2002, 07:24:28 AM »
in the same update, lets take the titanium out of the P-38 fuselage

Or rename it : "The Flying PNZR" :D

OTOH, the wingtips are still waaayyyyyy too soft!

Muuhahahahah,  ;)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2002, 08:07:53 AM »
LOL Yup Apar, wing tips can only take 3x20mm before blowing off :)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2002, 11:41:48 AM »
Also can we get the Paddel Pade Prop for the P-47D-11 and optional hard points for the wings for a pair of eggs??

And the Rear view mirror :D

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2002, 11:42:40 AM »
Doh..they should have a spell checker on this thing!!.. make that a Paddel Blade Prop!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2002, 12:17:53 PM »
Virtually all American fighters had locking tail wheels. If you read through any pilot's handbook for these aircraft, you will find an item on the takeoff checklist that says, "tail wheel locked." BTW, locking the tail wheel did aid in controlling torque, that is until you raised the tail. This is when most pilots got into trouble due to torque, on takeoff that is. A worst case scenerio ofr torque roll was when an inexperienced pilot "firewalled" the throttle at speeds near stall. There was insufficient airflow across the control surfaces to overcome the effect of torque, and the fighters tended to roll inverted, stall and spin in. In this regard, many pilots experienced in both the P-51 and F4U will tell you that the P-51 was as bad or worse than the famous "Ensign Eliminator" with regard to "torque roll." Thunderbolts, thanks to their greater bulk, were easier to control. P-38s were, essentially, torque-free unless an engine failed on takeoff. If that were to occur, only the most experienced pilots could avoid rolling inverted and crashing alongside the runway This was almost impossible to avoid if you were still below minimum single engine airspeed. It took experience and a cool head to chop the throttle on the good engine while pushing the nose down with scant room between you and the ground. If possible, the preferred method was to land straight ahead. Should that not be feasible, and should the P-38 not hit a ground object, the pilot could then slowly add power to the good engine until he could climb out and make an emergency landing.

Sorry for wandering off topic....

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Vector

• Nickel Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2002, 02:23:41 PM »
Originally posted by nuchpatrick
Also can we get the Paddel Pade Prop for the P-47D-11
Absolutely !
and optional hard points for the wings for a pair of eggs??
IIRC there weren't any wing hard points in D-11, they were added  from D-15 onward?

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2002, 04:37:45 PM »
Hrrmm.. I thought I had seen one that they did field mod's and installed somewhere around 250lbs on each wing..tho..like I said out in the feild they did very odd things with a/c.  Even seen them with 150 gal drop tanks from P-38's.  Those were done on some pacific P-47N's if I'm not mistaken..If I can locate the photo with those drop tanks I'll put it up.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2002, 04:58:41 PM »
Yep, the D-11's and D-15's of the 56th FG were modified in Feb 44 and they recieved the 150 gallon DT's just in time for operation Big Week. However, to be quite honest, I am unsure if they were capable of flying them on teh wings, or as a belly external. My guess is a belly tank only at that time.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2002, 05:04:15 PM »
(psst - try again ->paddle)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2002, 05:26:24 PM »
WHAT fuselage ye preeecks? The thing is a wing with 2 tails and a nose. GOTCHA!  HAHAHHA. :D :D :D :D

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
Pyro- Some P-47 stuff
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2002, 02:02:56 AM »
As far as i know Bf109 and FW190 also had lockable tailwheels.

Most interesting thing with the FW190 might be that in the flight instruction for take off the pilot is advised to keep the tailwheel on the ground till the bird takes off on its own.
Seems that in the FW190 some kind of "3-point-take-off" was normal, mainly because flight engineers feared the propeller could touch the ground when the pilot raises the tail to high.