Author Topic: New System Innards..Ready to Order... Comments Please  (Read 363 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
New System Innards..Ready to Order... Comments Please
« on: June 07, 2002, 05:21:56 PM »
OK, see any mistakes here. Done a bit of research on reviews at Tom's and Anand's. Looked at prices. Probably going to go to NewEgg.

Any suggestions? Am I making mistakes here?

AMD ATHLON XP 1900+/266 FSB PROCESSOR CPU - RETAIL 1900+/ 1.60GHz, AX1900DMT3C. $135

MSI KT3 ULTRA-ARU (MS-6380E-020) VIA KT333 DDR ATA133 SocketA MOTHERBOARD - RETAIL  $109

KINGSTON KVR266X64C25/256 256MB 32x64 PC2100 DDR RAM - RETAIL  $45

VOYETRA TURTLE BEACH SANTA CRUZ - OEM  $59

MSI G4Ti4200-TD (8870-040) GF4 TI4200 128MB 128bit TV-OUT DVI VGA Card Retail $178

$20 shipping, Totals out at $546

My thoughts:

The MSI MB was top-rated on the amdmb site.

Stuck with MSI for the vid card hoping for no mb/vid card probs.

Turtle Beach since it supposedly uses less CPU cycles than SB Live and there have been other issues with Live.

Kingston since it's lifetime and cheap.

the XP 1900 since it seems like that's where price/performance curves look best.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2002, 05:29:59 PM »
buy an OEM chip and a real HSF instead of that rinky-dink HSF AMD ships with the retail boxes.  Only real reason to buy retail box is to get the 3yr warranty.  If ya get it seat the rinky-dink HSF so the thermal pad on the bottom of it looks like ya used it :D

TCWO will give ya one year warranty on an oem chip if ya buy a HSF from them on the same order with the chip.

Other than that looks like a good setup.  Just make sure the case ya put it has real good airflow and a couple case fans can't hurt :D

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2002, 05:35:51 PM »
Never had any problem with the HSF provided by AMD.  Unless you are overclocking I don't think this is an issue for Athlon XP.

You might be able to get these parts a little cheaper at Mwave.

Mobo/Vid card from same mfr. is not going to matter much because the Geforce cards are pretty much reference designs.  If you want mobo/vid card to match up then your best bet is nVidia nForce mobo.

Not sure having the 333 MHz board will help you any using PC2100 CL2.5 RAM.

I'm sure this system would work though and would give you much gaming enjoyment.  :)

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2002, 07:12:54 PM »
Nice choices all around. Try ordering from mwave.com or newegg.com

If you need an excellent CD-RW, try the Lite-On 32x/12x/40x
I just received mine and its top notch at a good price $75. Writes 700mb CDs in 3 minutes, and it has no trouble copying... err.. making backup of those original CD's ;) ;)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2002, 08:59:34 PM »
Thanks all for the replies.

This is a "hand me down" project. My current AH machine is an XP 1600 with a GF2 STS. It has nice big, fast IBM HD's and lots of fans, a CD burner and stuff but a SB Live.

So, all the new bits are going in the well-cooled present AH machine case.  That's why I only need the CPU, MoBo, RAM, Vid and Sound cards. All else is still "good stuff".

The replaced items roll downhill to my "family" E-mail/internet/school project machine. That machine is an O/C Celeron @ 800 with a GF2MX (big mistake!)

The Celeron and GF2 MX go into an old Celeron 466/TNT machine my other kid is using at college which croaked either the CPU or the MB. Not sure which and don't really care; they're both getting tossed.

Best part is my wife thinks it's a good idea to upgrade the AH machine because she gets a faster mail/net machine in the bargain. I love it when everyone is happy.

So, there's the situation.

As to the new CPU fan: If I get the 3 year warranty with the "factory" fan is there a need to upgrade? I mean if it croaks in less than 3 years, I get a new one. If it lasts more than 3 years, it's hopelessly outdated, right? Anyway, that's the way I was thinking.

Mwave actually came in a bit more expensive. Newegg is running a few "$10 off the RAM if you buy this MOBO" specials and the like. Mwave isn't doing that. I have bought a lot from Mwave before this though.

Using the PC2100 because from what I've read so far the 333Mhz stuff isn't really tweaked full-on yet so the price/performance curve on the 333 stuff isn't real good yet. This MoBo will take either RAM, of course, so when the price drops on the 333 stuff, I can substitute. I am misunderstanding this?

Thanks again!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2002, 09:22:38 PM »
Newegg are equally good, you should feel comfortable buying from them.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2002, 09:41:15 PM »
You got it right on the RAM Toad.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2002, 09:41:34 PM »
I like newegg, I like the system choice, not sure about the sound card but I really don't know. Don't forget to add 5 fans to your order.  

I did the same thing more or less, and my buddy does what your doing as a side business. Blazing fast Athlon gaming systems for under $700 for folks who dont need a $1000 extra P4 Alien sticker on the case.

Speaking of which, the antec's are just solid, sweet chit.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2002, 11:17:10 PM »
You can get the pc2700 ram and it does work great..but still a real premium wich is what Toad is saying I think..
mine came with cool stickers and some kind of casing around the ram...allmost makes it worth the price of admission....

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2002, 11:59:00 PM »
Buying from newegg.com is a wise choice, Toad. I've been buying from them exclusively for the last year when I can, their service and speedy shipping is top-notch.

Last week, I ordered an Abit Siluro GF4 Ti-4400 from them on Monday, ground fed ex, and it was here on Wednesday! They are in California and I'm in Minnesota! I couldn't believe how fast they got it shipped.

I just ordered an AMD XP 2100+ CPU and a 22" NEC FE1250 monitor from them this morning, and they have already shipped and I have my fed ex tracking number already. Unbeliveable service, and competative prices. Newegg.com rocks!

Offline AKWarp

• Copper Member
      • http://10mbfree.com/edlance/
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2002, 06:23:57 PM »
Toad,

Good choices all around (but dunno about your soundcard choice...just no experience with it on my part).

Still, is money a real object here?  If not, then for an extra $136, I would suggest a couple of changes to your list (all prices are from newegg):

Athlon XP 2100 OEM ($188)

OCZ technology 256MB PC2700 memory. It's CL 2 and has some excellent timings.   ($77)

GF4 TI4400 instead of the 4200.  ($229)

While these guys are correct that 333Mhz DDR isn't "tweaked out" yet, real world tests do show a decent increase in performance over PC2100.  Still, if you are dead set on PC2100, don't buy cheap, generic stuff.  Spend a little more and get good memory....it is well worth the minor investment.

As for heatsinks, it is worth an extra $25 for a good sink and fan.  Research HSF's on the net and get an idea of just how effective a good one is versus the stock units.  Although the stock unit is adequate and your CPU may not die in the course of the 3 year warranty, you might experience glitches or lockups related to heat....and that can be a royal beotch to diagnose (usually you start thinking bad video drivers, sound, etc and 2 weeks of hair pulling and windows reloading later, someone says "dude, it's too hot"...and, well you get the idea).

Right now I am anxiously awaiting my goodies box from newegg.  I ordered the Soyo Dragon Ultra mobo, Athlon XP 2100, two 512MB sticks of OCZ tech PC2700 (CL 2), 7200 RPM Maxtor 40GB ATA133 HDD with fluid bearing, a set of shielded, round IDE and floppy cables.  I've also got an Arkua 7228 heatsink (a licensed copy of the Thermosonic Thermoengine with mods) and a tube of Arctic Silver 3 coming from The Heatsink Factory.  I also ordered a 120mm-60mm machined aluminum fan adapter and an Enermax 120mm fan (108 CFM baby!)....yes, I plan to overclock ;-)
I already have the GF4 TI4600 that I got the other day.

The Arkua heatsink and stock fan costs $24.99 and is rated as one of the top coolers around.  It holds its own against expensive heatsinks such as the monster sized Alpha PAL and Swiftechs new MCX462 (which costs $55 for the heatsink alone!).  

Even if you don't plan to overclock, a good heatsink and fan is well worth the little money it costs.