Author Topic: Theft in the 1st degree or Don't dance that conga!  (Read 147 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Theft in the 1st degree or Don't dance that conga!
« on: June 12, 2002, 01:51:21 PM »
Ok who here has done this.....

Your flying along lone wolfing it at about angles 12 or so.  Looking for some poor slow bastard who wasted all his energy.  When you see one bad guy with a 5 or 6 plane conga line (of your countrymates) behind him.  They are about 2 or 3 miles away and low.

So you take a gander at the situation and get their general direction of flight and fly to where you think they will be in say 10 or 20 seconds.  Then you fly in that direction.  You make your guns pass and kill the bogie right in front of the conga line and zoom back up to 10k or so :D I don't fly much anymore but over the years this has been one of my most productive ways to get kills.  I'd say a full 3rd of my kills are from this method.

How many times have you seen 6 good guys dive on 1 bad guy and watch them turn for 5 minutes before they finally kill him?  Too many for me to count myself!  The only time you'll see me in a conga line is if I'm the 1st plane in it or if I'm the one being chased ;).  They don't pay!!!!!!!  Not only do you reduce your chances of the kill (1 in 5 or 6 odds is not good) but you damage the tactical situation for your side.    I have used the tactic of sending 1 or 2 solo flights into a target area to drag all the CAP down so that the main strike force can get to target unmolested.

well I can't think of anything else to ramble on about, wulfies post caused this!

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2002, 02:14:01 PM »
>>They don't pay!!!!!!! Not only do you reduce your chances of the kill (1 in 5 or 6 odds is not good) but you damage the tactical situation for your side. I have used the tactic of sending 1 or 2 solo flights into a target area to drag all the CAP down so that the main strike force can get to target unmolested. <<

The ones who do it are deef and won't listen. This happens all the time, its a kind of buck fever. All the while they dont seem to notice the large dar bar hdg toward them at alt and they will all die in a matter of minutes. Also, the tactical situation will always suffer because of it. But, you make too much sense UDie. So, it is always a feeling of great satisfaction I get from diving down and killing the hapless sob causgt at the head of a conga line. I get too impatient watching them get outmanuevered by a desperate pilot who is obviously much better than the 6 chasing him.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2002, 02:17:19 PM »
you got my point :)

Offline Nomde

• Nickel Member
      • Web Master
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2002, 02:22:18 PM »
Been there, done that :D

The dancer, dancie, and the stealer... Gotta love this game :)

Nomde
56th Fighter Group "Zemke's Wolfpack"
nomde@56fg.net

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2002, 03:40:00 PM »
I get a kick popping a target that's trailing a line. More gratifying than tagging an "AFK" for sure ;)

Westy

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2002, 04:45:50 PM »
My personal favorite is when a friendly is in the front with 6 enemy chasing him.  You dive in on them knowing that they should see you.

The first guy breaks off.. then the second... then the third... but the 4th thinks he has a real shot at that con 1.5k in front of him and starts firing away praying that he'll get the kill before being bounced.  Yep... that's one of my personal favorite kills.

AKDejaVu

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2002, 04:51:40 PM »
love the after action comments too, like, "nice fight spit, too bad that A-Hole in the P-47 had to jump in and ruin it":)
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline AvidMC

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2002, 04:56:08 PM »
Hell that's the best way to get kills in a P-47.

Avid - Fellow 56th. drag potato :-)

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2002, 04:57:27 PM »
My favorite is getting the killshooter on the guy whizzing .50 caliber bullets past my ear when he's clearly d1.3 and I'm d500 from the enemy  :D
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2002, 06:12:37 PM »
Originally posted by -ammo-
love the after action comments too, like, "nice fight spit, too bad that A-Hole in the P-47 had to jump in and ruin it":)

Here's a different twist on this. Last night I took a Mossy up to 28k on an anti-Buff CAP of the Rook HQ. These sorties beat down one's K/H and K/S, but I could care less about those numbers. I spot a P-47 up around 35k headed for the HQ, so I turn around and head that way. When I arrive, I find the Jug being chased around by a gaggle of Rook fighters including a Me 262. Problem is, they're not having any success (hey, the Jug is really capable in the thin air). I watch as the Jug gets an opening and makes a run for it. His pursuers are hauling around to start the chase. However, I'm in good position to intercept the Jug and head in to meet him on an off-angle merge. As he races towards me, I pinch hard on the merge and squeeze off a "Hail Mary" snapshot. I get lucky and hit him solid, blowing off his wing, and down he goes.

In the text buffer comes something like this: "5 on 1 on my P-47 at 25k, sheesh."

I type back: "Yeah, but it was a Mosquito that got you at 25k, not one of those 5"

He returns: "lol Widewing. There was a 262 chasing me too."

I respond: " Well, it was a lucky shot. BTW, I watched everything, great fight on your part, you had 'em tied in knots."

Between that Jug jocky out-flying them all, plus a Mossy popping in to get the kill at such a rediculous height, you know there were 5 of my Rook countrymates mumbling to themselves.....

Later, I stalked a Spitfire at his low 6 for about 10 miles (I was in the Squad night designated fighter, a Niki). I had closed to just under 700 yards, wanting 400 to open fire. Just then, a Mustang scorched in and whacked the Spit. I was pissed, not at the loss of the kill, so much as the time wasted. The P-51 pilot apologized. Really didn't need to tho. Turn-about is, indeed, fair play. ;)

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2002, 06:19:46 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu
My personal favorite is when a friendly is in the front with 6 enemy chasing him.  You dive in on them knowing that they should see you.

The first guy breaks off.. then the second... then the third... but the 4th thinks he has a real shot at that con 1.5k in front of him and starts firing away praying that he'll get the kill before being bounced.  Yep... that's one of my personal favorite kills.

AKDejaVu

Thats allways me..its not nice to rub it in BTW.

Offline Corrs

• Silver Member
      • TAC Drivers
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2002, 07:41:21 PM »
Hey, I was that idiot leading that Conga line (Fruitcake hat and all).... da da da da da....DA

Fruitcakes in the conga line
Fruitcakes in the air
Corrs
The Flying Circus
Head of The Flying Circus Numbnutz Clown Union since 2000
FSO 334th FS Corrs's Nose Art
WARNING: Keep smiley's out of reach of Corrs