Author Topic: New Buff Gunnery Model: I Heard it Through the Grapevine!  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
New Buff Gunnery Model: I Heard it Through the Grapevine!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2001, 02:55:00 AM »
carpet bombing furious  :)

its gonna rock
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2001, 02:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by eskimo2:
but the shooting styles and accuracy will be pattered after actual Aces High players!  Naturally, everyone wants as good of a gunner as they can get, so:
Plane #2 AI gunners will shoot like Mitsu.
Plane #3 AI gunners will shoot like Fester.
Plane #4 AI gunners will shoot like Ypsilon.

Happy buff hunting!

eskimo

i'll take the rollo-bot thank you!
 :D

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2001, 03:06:00 AM »
Rollo-Bots and Craven-Bots will require spending perk points.

:)

eskimo

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2001, 03:21:00 AM »
I want craven bots
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2001, 03:41:00 AM »
The more I think about it I love the idea,I guess manning the guns could be done like picking your gun in the fleet,an overhead view of 4 bombers,highlight your gun and join it,sure will be interesting   :)
Joc

Offline LtHans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2001, 04:55:00 AM »
First off, I am guessing that these drone ships will not be able to cheat and fly into formation if your 100% throttle.  You'll have to be gentle and let them get in formation.  Because there is no lag, and they're AI you probably won't have much trouble getting into formation.

No more dogfighting bombers.  I will guess that collisions with these AI bombers in your flight will be on.  You can whip around, but be warned that Captain Chaos and the Cranium Commandoes flying the other planes would crash into you if you fly too rough, turn the formation too fast, or cause them to fly out of control too easy if you do anything whacky.  They'll maintain formation only if your gentle.  Anything else makes life difficult.

As for gunnery, here are the possiblilies that I see.

1.  Same as we have now.  you run one bomber and all the guns slave together on that one bomber.  The other 3 bombers are sitting ducks.  I doubt this is the planned system.

2.  Multiple bombers all slaved togther.  You thought you could unleash a rain of death, now your x4 stronger.  Convergence issues might make that not work too well.

3.  Same as we have now, though you can also choose which bomber to man.

4.  AI guns on the other AI planes.

Either way, I like how this is going.  Carpet bombing is what we need, but I will assume that this also means there will be targets that can ONLY be carpet bombed.  Mass fighter bombers will be inefective.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2001, 04:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by BenDover:
where did u find this out??   :confused:    :confused:    :confused:
http://www.wargamer.com/articles/aces_high_interview_main.asp

:)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2001, 07:40:00 AM »
thanks

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2001, 08:01:00 AM »
"...the guy who gets shot at breaks hard, drawing fire, and the others beat the piss out of the buff." lol. This cracked me up  :) And it definately sounds like more fun than my usual method which is to tell em on chnl 1 that they can bail now or get shot down. And then shoot them down.

Westy

Offline niklas

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2001, 01:02:00 PM »
i really donīt understand why with 1.09 people can fly with 3 AI wingman.

The only reason why you canīt see often formations of 4 bomber in the main is that due to the overmodelled firepower people CAN fly alone at the moment.

Improve the gunner system - this means reduce firepower - and pilots are forced to fly in formation. And then you WILL see larger formations, believe me.

Noone can tell me that there are no other bomber pilots with 200 people online, so they have to fly alone. Those people just KNOW that they can go out alone, or they donīt want to fly with others. But if you want to fly alone, you shouldnīt fly bomber.

At the moment you better attack a buff with 2 fighter. Realsim should be that one fighter can attack 2 buffs.

niklas

Offline Nomde

• Nickel Member
      • Web Master
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2001, 01:25:00 PM »
IMHO
I don't like this concept. I much prefer 4 real pilots manning thier own buffs and flying in formation. I have alot more respect for pilots who take the time to learn why this tactic was used. Also, the AI concept leaves to much to chance.
If this is implemented tho, I suggest that the "laser" bombsight be modified to actually recreate the inacurracy of ww2 bombing. The target would have to be destroyed with "carpet" bombimg techniques making the 3 wing bombers drop thier loadout at the same time as the lead.
This brings into question, would the lead be able to adjust the distance of the wing bombers with a dot command, say something like .distance X, with X being in yards? Also would the salvo command be applicable to the entire wing? Could the wing be loaded with different loadout? How bout incidnary bombs to drop on cities? The possibilities are endless.... God I love this game  :D
Thanks HT and crew  :)

Nomde
56th Fighter Group "Zemke's Wolfpack"
nomde@56fg.net

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2001, 05:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by niklas:
i really donīt understand why with 1.09 people can fly with 3 AI wingman.

The only reason why you canīt see often formations of 4 bomber in the main is that due to the overmodelled firepower people CAN fly alone at the moment.
niklas

Nope.  Not true.

I took on 6 bombers this morning, all were in formation, b17 and lancs.  I was ALONE in my dpony.  I broke them up and then set to work on them.  I killed 3 bombers and badly mauled a fourth before I got greedy and stayed too long on a lancs six.  He took off my wing and I spiralled down.  (Pugg (a squaddie) finished him off a few minutes later...)

If the buff firepower is so overmodelled how could I kill 3 without getting pinged and then badly wound the fourth?

I got the bombers to separate and then hit each one in turn.  Singleton bombers in AH are easy meat.  Getting formations up will be a great feature, for the buff drivers and for buff hunters.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2001, 06:51:00 PM »
ubb bug...  

Yea, I hope all the guns on every ship fire where the one human gunner is aiming.  Boy, that'll make it real fun   :rolleyes:

Offline LtHans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2001, 07:13:00 PM »
If this is implemented tho, I suggest that the "laser" bombsight be modified to actually recreate the inacurracy of ww2 bombing. The target would have to be destroyed with "carpet" bombimg techniques making the 3 wing bombers drop thier loadout at the same time as the lead.

You never read the article on Wargammer.com have you?

That is exactly the plan.  The Norden bombsight will become much less accurate, bombs will disperse, therefore requiring shotgun/carpet bombing to hit anything.  That is why your getting 3 AI bombers too.  A lone bomber cannot carpet bomb.  Also, the ground targets will be rearanged to be carpet bombed.

Bomber pilots are not pilots in my book anyway.  The juicy part of bombing is the bombs and the gun turrets.  The pilot is the least action packed part of the bomber.  In all honesty I fly using autopilot set on level or climb from the gun turrets anyways.  That job only gets fun when your damaged and limping home.

Offline Frost

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2001, 07:45:00 PM »
The gunners on the other bombers should not be slaved to the real gunner.  That is BS.  Each position should have to acquire it's own target and there should be a delay to simulate the gunner searching and acquiring each individual target.