Author Topic: New Buff Gunnery Model: I Heard it Through the Grapevine!  (Read 1004 times)

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
New Buff Gunnery Model: I Heard it Through the Grapevine!
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2001, 07:49:00 PM »
in the end i bet HT will impletment the new functions as best he can and without making it impossible to shoot them down.
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2001, 08:05:00 PM »
Here's my question(s):

If I'm leading a 4 ship of B17s and I lose one, am I charged with a death???

or...

If I'm in a fighter and I take down 4 B17s, am I credited with 4 kills??  Did I shoot the same guy down 4 times?

or...

I'm leading my happy 4 ship of buffs and kill a bunch of fighters.  Do I get credited for all of the kills?  If not, how do prox kills work?  Do I get assists from the bot planes?

These are some basic questions that really should be addressed.

Offline vmfRazor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2001, 09:24:00 PM »
Well, my point of slaving all guns to the gunner was speaking from experience in FA. AI gunners in FA on the buffs are so overmodelled it is pathetic. I have actually dove in on B26's and TU2's that were looping! and at their apex of the loop which seems to me would be a point of 0G inside the airplane after some horrendous G forces in the pull up. And been blown to bits by the Gunners who IRL would be flopping all around the cabin let alone holding onto a MG aiming at a 400 MPH moving target doing the proper ballistic corrections and nailing the fighter. Now I don't think HT would implement anything at all like this. But those AI Feild flaks are awful close. At least if the guns were slaved to the gunner the aim would only be as good as his aim. If his pilot started evasive manuevers there goes his aim. In an AI environment it gets awful tricky trying to decide when a gunner would be able to shoot and when not. Trying to find the balance between offering protection for the big slow targets and making it survivable for the fighter is extremely hard. You say it shouldn't? Wait and see if they try and implement it. The boys over at MS and VR1 gave up on it cause making both groups happy is an impossibility. My complaint here has always been that those 50 cals in the B17 sure seem to hit harder than my 50 cals in a 51. Not that I thought the aim was too good. I agree with the 4 bomber flight cause if you take away the pinpoint accuracy then you have to go with area bombing which single or even double buffs won't be able to do. And it would force fighter jocks to have to cooperate in killing buffs. Looking down and seeing say 30 buffs in formation going to a target just gets my blood pumping cause this is what it should be all about IMO. Just figuring out all the details will take some work that the HiTech boys, and girls, Are up to and will do a bang up job on it.

RazorDD

P.S. But WTH am I  :)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2001, 09:53:00 PM »
ai gunners should only work in steady state non maneuvering flight
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline JaCkNiFe

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2001, 09:57:00 PM »
only in bomber mode...

Offline vmfRazor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2001, 06:21:00 PM »
Cit, that is the problem m8. The FA people tried to solve the problem by putting into the code that guns would not fire if there was more than like 2G's being pulled. But when and airplane is in the apex of a slow loop there aren't any G's the G meter goes to 0 and the gunners turn on and wail ya. I don't mean to talk about a flight "Game" in here but it was and is a problem there and just wanted to bring it up here.

RazorDD

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2001, 09:45:00 PM »
i meant steady state flight:

constant speed/rate climbs/descents and level flight.

nonmaneuvering flight
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline niklas

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2001, 10:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Blue Mako:

Nope.  Not true.

I took on 6 bombers this morning, all were in formation, b17 and lancs.  I was ALONE in my dpony.  I broke them up and then set to work on them.  I killed 3 bombers and badly mauled a fourth before I got greedy and stayed too long on a lancs six.  He took off my wing and I spiralled down.  (Pugg (a squaddie) finished him off a few minutes later...)

If the buff firepower is so overmodelled how could I kill 3 without getting pinged and then badly wound the fourth?

I got the bombers to separate and then hit each one in turn.  Singleton bombers in AH are easy meat.  Getting formations up will be a great feature, for the buff drivers and for buff hunters.

Obviously you met some unexperienced pilots/ gunners. I mean, a flight of experienced bomber pilots wouldnīt have separated.
And no hit at all? Did you attack them when they jumped in the norden view to aim, so they couldnīt man the gunner ?  ;)

When you could kill 3 or almost 4 buffs with your ī50AP, then itīs a good hint how overmodelled the hitpower of the ī50 is btw  ;)

niklas