Author Topic: Windtalkers  (Read 222 times)

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
Windtalkers
« on: June 13, 2002, 10:46:39 AM »
Neato!  The plot is explosions and gunfire.  I knew it was John Woo, but I kinda expected more given the subject matter.  Sure glad I did not pay to see it.  Why don't Ken Burns do a film on this one? I think it deserves better treatment.
Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
Windtalkers
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 12:20:40 PM »
My father (2nd Marines - Was on Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan and Tinian) used to tell me about the Codetalkers when I was a but a wee lad.  If the reviews of this film were better I'd try to talk him into letting me take him.  As it is, I guess I'll wait for the video rental.

As an aside, here is a picture from the Battle of Tarawa.  The marine, second from the left, pushing the raft and looking at the camera, is my dad.  He still remembers watching the film crew.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Windtalkers
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2002, 01:02:26 PM »
Originally posted by HFMudd
My father (2nd Marines - Was on Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan and Tinian)

Wow.

Dunno why but this song popped into my head when I read your thread...

"After you've been over there, I know you've seen it all
I know your stories are too painful to share.
One day though, you'll be talkin in your sleep
And when you do I wanna be there"

"Hell Time"
Bob Dylan
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
Windtalkers
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2002, 01:26:33 PM »
Curval, quite apt in this case.  Dad will tell us kids all the stories we want to hear about how he would get to the front of the chow line, steal things from the army guys, what malaria is like and so forth.  But when it comes to the obvious bullet hole in his leg and a few other tidbits we have learned from others that were in his company that drop by the house every couple years or so, he is steadfastly silent.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Windtalkers
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2002, 02:49:17 PM »
My Father-in-law was also a Marine. Gaudalcanal, Pelialu, Boughanville. Purple heart for "getting shot in the ass".

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Windtalkers
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2002, 03:01:26 PM »
Curval,what record is that from?
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Windtalkers
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2002, 05:02:16 PM »
Originally posted by SirLoin
Curval,what record is that from?

It is actually a song from a movie....I haven't been able to track down if it was released on another album.  The movie was called "Band of The Hand", or something...I bought the soundtrack because of this one song.

If anyone knows of an mp3 version I would LOVE to get a copy of it.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain