Author Topic: Helping newbies in the main arena  (Read 313 times)

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Helping newbies in the main arena
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2002, 08:35:23 PM »
I have had very little problems with any type of help on AH.  The cameraderie on the boards and in the arenas, IMHO, is excellent.  

If it is better somewhere else, then horay for that place for it must be incredible.

Ya see, everyone just loves Swager.  I mean what's not to love??

I'm pleasant, nice, of good character, enjoy a good joke along with a good cigar and a LaBatt's.  Im a great fisherman and golfer and smell flowery.  

What else is there??

Thank You and have a truely wonderful day!!  :)
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Mino

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2002, 03:11:29 AM »
Wipass;

Remember you wrote this after 3 or 4 years.  Putting up with newbie asking questions constantly with very silly answers easily found in the flight manual.  It gets old.  

Some newbies really get demanding, throw a tantrum etc...

Lots of new players go through this routine.  Kind of funny in its repetition.  More of a knee jerk reaction, not really anything personal.

Lighten up!  :)

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2002, 09:01:29 AM »
I think the help file needs to be advertised a little more strongly and maybe even renamed as there are some people who scoff at the thought of needing help, perhaps the following could be done to help?

• A pop up window when you click on the link to download Aces High that asks if you would like to download the help file/manual and in this window provide a link, this 'in your face' kind of advert makes it less likely for people to miss it
  • Rename the help file to 'Aces High Manual' - like I said above some people scoff at the idea they need 'help' but look how many people asked to download the Falcon 4 SuperPAK 'manual' when it was released.
  • Include a keyboard overlay/template - most sims have a keyboard overlay/template of keys included in the box, perhaps have one you can download for Aces High that fits on a single A4 sheet. I'm sure there are many out there who don't bother to print the keys because it's spread across many pages.
  • Include a quick reference chart that also fits on one page, perhaps even as an extra to the keyboard overlay which also includes a brief few words on some of the more used dot commands such as .salvo and .delay

Maybe this would cut down on the ammount of questions online. I don't mind answering any newbies questions and often offer help but can't always do it as I'm busy with my squad or tied up in a fight somewhere. Of course there are those who always refuse to RTFM :) but they are beyond our help :D

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2002, 11:06:15 AM »
people are mean in AH.   I wish I had a nickle for every time I have cried myself to sleep over the cruel and insensitive things that were said to me in AH.    WB was all peace and love and filled with the "elite".
lazs

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2002, 03:54:37 PM »
LOL Lazs.

Wip- I think the vast majority of folks in AH are probably really helpful.  Lord knows the number of times I've asked simple questions on how to do things and I get lots of helpful responses.  

My advice to newbies is to not let the few vocal and socially inept individuals who get their jollies by misleading newbies or grousing at them for asking simple questions get to them.  You will always find this class of individuals in any sizable group of people.  Something about anonymity brings this out even more because they can hide behind a computer screen and act like jerks.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline dfl8rms

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2002, 04:04:33 PM »
SnoGoose's Quick Reference sheet answers a lot of questions on the commands part of it.  He put a link to it in the help & training forum  or the link directly http://austin.gosling.bei.t-online.de/ah/.  I think HTC should include on the help page.

Again, thanks SnoGoose for the page.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2002, 04:09:46 PM »
I don't mind helping...

I go outta my way to help most of the time...  BUT i have to set some guidelines...

RTFM
Want help? just ask
Use caps and i'll warn ya +) a coupla times
Use profanity or somethin close the filter lets by.. and i'll ignore ya +)

If you ask for help, READ THE ANSWER!!  get sick of havin to repeat myself ...

oh yeah and last... join knits and i even more helpful +)

SKurj

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2002, 04:42:24 PM »
Revvin

I have noted your point(s). You are right: My comments on AGW will not have helped, but I don’t think they are significant at all. Only a minority of AH players read this board, and only a small percentage of those would take the time to read AGW. Besides which, I did sort of apologise for any defamatory remarks I had made...

I think the problem that wipass describes is part of a wider malaise. Not only is help not forthcoming, but the AH populace has not matured sufficiently. There is still a preponderance of players who just want to get kills, without regard to the well being of their virtual country or the people in it.  Just tonight, I saw that the Bishops had 128 online, the Rooks had about 60, and the Knights about 50. This numerical supremacy did not protect the Bishops from getting a Royal Arse-Kicking. I flew a F4U-1D off a CV which was very close to an enemy field. I was doing my damndest to help the other Bishops, with a view to capturing the field. I was giving position reports, and 6-calls left and right. I dived on a N1K to save the guy he was chasing, knowing that the con would have killed my friend had I not... What thanks did I get? No-one bothered to communicate by voice comms. No-one bothered to give me a 6-call when I saved the life of that other Bishop. I knew there was a Spit close behind, so as soon as the N1K broke from that other Bishop, I made a Split-S back to the CV. But Oh! The Spit was on me, and pinged off my right aileron. I barrel rolled back to the safety of the CV, but... Not one single 6-call did I receive. I began to wonder: Why don’t these other Bishops speak? Am I the only person here with a microphone? By the way, I use a headset with built in mike – price £7.99.

It was clear to me that I was flying amongst a bunch of bananas who did not have a clue about field capture, or of working as a team. And I asked my usual question: ”If they are not prepared to help me, why should I help them?” After ditching (CV was already lost owing to incompetence) I quietly moved to another area of the map. Things were no better. On Gangbang Island, in the centre of the map, there are about three vehicle fields. Now despite the numerical advantage the Bishops enjoyed, I watched helplessly as they lost every last one of those fields. They also lost another vehicle field on the west side of the map. I went to a field which was being attacked by some opportunist vulchers, and killed seven of them with the 37mm field gun. Just then, Arlene was calling me to the dinner table, and I had to leave.

The moral of the story! Wipass talks about people not wanting to help. But I am the sort of guy who, when presented with a problem, will ask what other problems might exist given that the first problem exists. And I firmly believe that those guys who don’t help, and don’t communicate in any way are the problem. Quite simply, they don’t give a diddlying light about whether you (or I) die. ”So what if you die? It’s only a game...”, they will proclaim.

I feel that the voice comms feature of AH is a VERY good thing. Those who want to work as a team can. When I end up amongst a bunch of guys who wont talk, that’s the danger sign that they don’t give a diddly whether I live or die, and probably don’t care much as their country loses field after field after field.

So I say: Ask questions online, by all means. Often they are answered. If not, then ask yourself if you want to be flying with these guys. And if you get "RTFM/Try hitting Alt+F4", then land your plane, and go to another corner of the map.

Some hard core AHers like Ripsnort may take exception to what I have written here. But I mean every word of it. The problem is that with the demise of AW, and the continuing exodus from WB, we are finding guys here who are either rank newbies and don't know any better, or are indoctrinated with the Quakebird mentality. Hopefully things will settle down in a few months.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2002, 04:50:52 PM »
Originally posted by poopster

Learned a new word here..

"tard"

Like it..

It just sort of rolls off the tongue....

You can just drop it in anywhere in a sentence.. and it gives the statement bite.

I usually link it with "friggin" for that extra punch :)

So not only is it alot of fun here, it's expanded my vocabulary :D

Yes, you can actually modify it for extra meaning. For example, when the tard is figured to be young and/or inexperienced, he can be refered to as "tardical", or "tardlett". If we are talking about a behavior in general, you can use the term "tardness", or "tarddom". The root word "tard" can be used in many ways to describe folks around here:)
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2002, 10:51:49 PM »

Offline tomato

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2002, 03:36:47 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Just then, Arlene was calling me to the dinner table, and I had to leave.

& I wasn't even armed.  Honest.  :D

Tomato

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2002, 03:43:27 PM »
I don't know why the hell anyone would go online to play a game BEFORE learning atleast how to control it offline... the very basics, start engine, landing gear, flaps, primary guns, secondary guns, views... I started off with Confirmed Kill and taught myself how to play it BEFORE I first went online or even created an account...

That's the best advice I'll ever give a newbie, go offline and learn the controls first.. THEN come online. I have long since tired of having to answer the most basic of questions. "What key starts the engine?" The one that logs you off the internet.
-SW

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2002, 07:17:45 PM »
LOL tomato! :D:D:D
Welcome to the wacky boards of the virtual flight simmers. :)